Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jj17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Can someone tell me what a NORMAL activity monitor would look like? Is it normal to have an activity taking 40 threads? How do I know if what I'm seeing is standard or indicates a problem?

My computer has been unusable for over a month with a spinning wheel i finally got onto the net and have downloaded a couple programs to use to hopefully help speed it up because its slower than slow, you could go to sleep waiting for stuff to load and change.

Anyway I don't know enough about Activity Monitor to judge the results or how to tell if some of it is what's making the computer so slow?

Thanks.:eek:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is it normal to have an activity taking 40 threads? How do I know if what I'm seeing is standard or indicates a problem?
Yes, it's normal. Follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
  1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.