Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Deadeyeshark
macrumors member

Restoring Time Machine save on Fusion Drive Mac

I'm planning on upgrading to a 27" Mac from a 24" Mac running Mountain Lion. When I set u the new Mac I will want to restore my Time Machine back up from the older machine.

My question is, will this restore have any effect on the Fusion Drive set up on the new Mac? Has anyone had any experience of doing this?
Deadeyeshark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeyeshark View Post
I'm planning on upgrading to a 27" Mac from a 24" Mac running Mountain Lion. When I set u the new Mac I will want to restore my Time Machine back up from the older machine.

My question is, will this restore have any effect on the Fusion Drive set up on the new Mac? Has anyone had any experience of doing this?
It won't matter. The OS sees a Fusion drive as one, large drive.

Just to clarify though, you don't want to "restore" from Time Machine to get your data on the new machine. What you should do is run Migration Assistant during the system setup process and point the Migration Assistant to your Time Machine backup disk when prompted. That will bring in your user account(s) and all your data and apps.
Weaselboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:22 PM   #3
Deadeyeshark
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
It won't matter. The OS sees a Fusion drive as one, large drive.

Just to clarify though, you don't want to "restore" from Time Machine to get your data on the new machine. What you should do is run Migration Assistant during the system setup process and point the Migration Assistant to your Time Machine backup disk when prompted. That will bring in your user account(s) and all your data and apps.
I seem to recall the first time I fired up my 21.5 mac I was given the option to move over my time machine files, I presume that would be the migration assistant?

My concern with the fusion drive is the software side of things, if I'm migrating from an older mac which hasn't had this functionality will the fusion drive still work as it should, eg moving frequently used apps to he fusion drive etc?
Deadeyeshark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
I seem to recall the first time I fired up my 21.5 mac I was given the option to move over my time machine files, I presume that would be the migration assistant?
Yes... you will be asked to select a language and time zone, the Migration Assistant will launch asking if you want to migrate your data over.

Quote:
My concern with the fusion drive is the software side of things, if I'm migrating from an older mac which hasn't had this functionality will the fusion drive still work as it should, eg moving frequently used apps to he fusion drive etc?
You will be fine. The Migration Assistant will move everything over the Fusion will sort out what apps and data you are using most frequently afterward.
Weaselboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store