Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olup

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
So the time has come that I'm developing my first wordpress theme.

Since I'm testing on my localhost and I wanted to be able to install plugins and upload images, I changed the permissions of the theme's content I'm working on to 777 by editing them in the get info respectively.

However I'm unsure to what settings I should change those settings when the theme goes live. As I've read that 777 imposed quite a security issue.

Should I do that in get info again or is it better to do it in the ftp client?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
So the time has come that I'm developing my first wordpress theme.

Since I'm testing on my localhost and I wanted to be able to install plugins and upload images, I changed the permissions of the theme's content I'm working on to 777 by editing them in the get info respectively.

However I'm unsure to what settings I should change those settings when the theme goes live. As I've read that 777 imposed quite a security issue.

Should I do that in get info again or is it better to do it in the ftp client?

The file permissions on my WordPress theme are 6 4 4 and that's just a sample of one of the pages - footer.php. Once you upload the files to your server, you may want to spot check the permissions on the files, especially your config files. They shouldn't have write permissions unless your working on them.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 138

olup

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
The file permissions on my WordPress theme are 6 4 4 and that's just a sample of one of the pages - footer.php. Once you upload the files to your server, you may want to spot check the permissions on the files, especially your config files. They shouldn't have write permissions unless your working on them.

Thank you very much for the quick response, changed the permissions and hopefully all goes well.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.