Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rickmystic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
So, will you be able to subscribe to Time Warner Cable services if you live outside it's area of service. This would be for people owning an Apple TV and downloading Time Warner's new app TWC-TV.
I'd love to get out of our local Cable TV provider but I'm quite far from Time Warner's home area.

kevo1011

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2010
I would also like to know the official answer.

I read that you would have to be a TWC customer in order to use the app. The article was so specific that it said TWC cable & modem.

I am hoping they will allow service over IP if you are not a customer. At this point I would enroll in e-bill or whatever I could to dump comcast.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
If it's anything like the Roku, you'll need to have TWC cable and internet and be accessing the app from your home network (using a TWC internet connection).

Announcement for the Roku app detailing this

I hope the TWC AppleTv app is better than the iOS app which leaves a lot to be desired. I have the the Roku TWC app which sucks more than the iOS app.

It seems that TWC is doing as little as possible?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I hope the TWC AppleTv app is better than the iOS app which leaves a lot to be desired. I have the the Roku TWC app which sucks more than the iOS app.

It seems that TWC is doing as little as possible?

Hard to say. I agree that the TWC apps for tablets and phones are terrible (iOS AND Android). I just returned from a business trip, my Android tablet wouldn't show me the TV listings, saying no DVR found, while the iOS app let me see the listings and schedule a recording but when I realized I DIDN'T want that recording I canceled it (with confirmation) but the DVR still recorded.

rickmystic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Answer

Just got an answer from Time Warner customer service and they will not allow real time streaming outside their area of service.
Let's hope in the future some independent TV stations offer apps we can buy services through that provide worldwide programing for a reasonable fee.
I'd love to subscribe to Fuji TV from Japan and would be willing to pay up to $10 per month for the service.
Some cable networks offer NHK for $9.95 per month through their regular channel lineup.
In the future all TV stations worldwide will offer their own app for service but I hope we don't have to wait years.................

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Just got an answer from Time Warner customer service and they will not allow real time streaming outside their area of service.
Let's hope in the future some independent TV stations offer apps we can buy services through that provide worldwide programing for a reasonable fee.
I'd love to subscribe to Fuji TV from Japan and would be willing to pay up to $10 per month for the service.
Some cable networks offer NHK for $9.95 per month through their regular channel lineup.
In the future all TV stations worldwide will offer their own app for service but I hope we don't have to wait years.................
I would bet this app will operate just like the ios app does where you have to be a current cable/internet subscriber and your appleTv has to be on your local network.

Kingrsmchugh

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
I don't think the Apple TV will have to be on your local network to access the forthcoming TWC app. To AirPlay TWC to Apple TV is one thing but a built in App shouldn't need to use a local network.
You should be able to sign in and use it outside your home as long as where you are has TWC services available.

if roku has a TWC app can you take the roku to a neighbors and watch TWC if the neighbors had TWC?

I think there's more to this story than just an App. TWC mentioned a year ago they'd give up control of thier cable box to another company. Why can't Apple and TWC come out with a new box for existing and new TWC customers with built in ICloud? Basically TWC comes out with a suped up version of an Apple TV for its customers. Win-win for both companies.

otisg

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2013

Since the Apple TV announcement has not been made, this is not really relevant. Sure, that is the way it is right now, but that could possibly change. I don't expect it to, but it could.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
I would bet this app will operate just like the ios app does where you have to be a current cable/internet subscriber and your appleTv has to be on your local network.

While I agree the AppleTV Time Warner App will probably have the same requirements requirements, there a reason it's not on the AppleTV now.

In its current state on iOS and Roku, the Time Warner app sucks because of the current licensing deals. Apple won't put the Time Warner on the AppleTV as a default/included app until the licensing deals make it better.

otisg

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2013
Apple won't put the Time Warner on the AppleTV as a default/included app until the licensing deals make it better.

While I sincerely hope you are right, the last update makes me unsure of Apple's plans. I would not have thought Apple would put HBO Go and WatchESPN on Apple TV in forms that still require a cable/sat subscription.

Lets hope the TWC Apple TV deal is actually something different than the current iOS and Roku incarnations (month-to-month subscription through iTunes without a cable box is my holy grail here, assuming <$50/month). Probably won't happen, but I'm entitled to a wish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.