Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:43 PM   #26
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
I've heard of frogging before. It's when you punch someone in the arm with the knuckle on your middle finger extended slightly away from the rest of your fist.
Ah, just giving someone a dead arm, then? I assumed it was some weird sexual deviation. That's a relief.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:47 PM   #27
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousse View Post
Bollocks. American kids wouldn't understand British slang so they'd misinterpret those words.
Though it would have been utterly priceless to have one English kid in the bunch who said:

"I'd get us a snog and then go for a fag"
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 07:15 PM   #28
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
Ah, just giving someone a dead arm, then? I assumed it was some weird sexual deviation. That's a relief.
That's what frogging means here. Over where you're at, it could be a euphemism for some horrible, unmentionable thing no one dares refer to by its actual name.

It's like how the subway is an underground train here, but in England it's a crosswalk that runs underneath a road? Same idea. Here, frogging could be punching someone in the arm, but there, it could be, like, kickdropping kittens into a woodchipper or burning down orphanages.

...and there's only so many ways you can take wolfbanging. None of them good. The best you can hope for is that it's not a literal term.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 07:23 PM   #29
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:

...and there's only so many ways you can take wolfbanging. None of them good. The best you can hope for is that it's not a literal term.
You do realize that the original statement lacked an 'n' there, right?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 07:34 PM   #30
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
You do realize that the original statement lacked an 'n' there, right?
Oh, so it's wolfbagging? Somehow, that sounds even worse.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 06:05 AM   #31
sim667
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I've heard of frogging before. It's when you punch someone in the arm with the knuckle on your middle finger extended slightly away from the rest of your fist.

But wolfbanging? Nup. No idea.
You clearly don't work with teenagers.

**THESE ARE EXPLICIT DESCRIPTIONS, DONT READ IF YOU'RE EASILY OFFENDED/RELIGIOUS ETC**
If you want definitions, then definition number 8 on urban dictionary for frogging and definition number 1 for wolfbagging

I'd post links, but it'd probably get me banned, and urban dictionary is blocked on my work computer anyway.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 07:34 AM   #32
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
the level of stupidity among some so called "educators" is amazing.
I presume you hold the same judgement for the parents who signed permission slips for their children to take the class without reviewing the curriculum? And we all know that 8th graders never think about sex, and that it is a good thing they they feel uncomfortable talking about it.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:40 AM   #33
jkcerda
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
1.I presume you hold the same judgement for the parents who signed permission slips for their children to take the class without reviewing the curriculum?
2. And we all know that 8th graders never think about sex, and that it is a good thing they they feel uncomfortable talking about it.
1.yes I do, if you are NOT involved you have NO ONE to blame.
2. did you read the article? is it ANYONE'S business how far your son or daughter has gone while out on a date?
jkcerda is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:41 AM   #34
VulchR
macrumors 68000

The point is that every person needs to learn how to express their limits about what they are willing to do (and also to listen to others in this regard). Typically the first session held by residential staff in university dormitories is how to assert one's sexual boundaries and how to listen to others. This happens at university because it is not taught earlier, and if it is never taught then all sorts of misunderstandings occur. Much of this is about the right to assert 'no', the responsibility to accept 'no', and not feeling guilty about 'yes'.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:44 AM   #35
jkcerda
macrumors regular

Quote:
The point is that every person needs to learn how to express their limits about what they are willing to do (and also to listen to others in this regard). Typically the first session held by residential staff in university dormitories is how to assert one's sexual boundaries and how to listen to others. This happens at university because it is not taught earlier, and if it is never taught then all sorts of misunderstandings occur. Much of this is about the right to assert 'no', the responsibility to accept 'no', and not feeling guilty about 'yes'.
guessing you did not read the article.

Quote:
“To put them up in front of their friends to be humiliated or to be asked questions that I believe are personal, it’s really none of the school’s business,” one of the peeved parents told the ABC station.
how does putting the teens into groups helps at ALL what YOU are saying?
jkcerda is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 02:10 PM   #36
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I presume you hold the same judgement for the parents who signed permission slips for their children to take the class without reviewing the curriculum?
We really don't have enough information to make a judgement on this aspect of the story. I agree that parents should take steps to be informed about their children's education, but often parental information is disseminated in a summary or overview format and not specifically broken down to explain the detailed processes or strategies a teacher might use in the classroom. It's possible, in this situation, that nothing was ever given to parents that would explain this exercise to them. The syllabus or class overview could have easily mentioned educating students on sexuality, appropriate communication regarding sexual practices, and potential physical/emotional consequences associated with sexual activity. As a parent would you think that meant your child had to divulge to the class their personal sexual preferences/limits? Maybe the exercise was spelled out for parents in detail and they just ignored it, but at this point we don't have enough information to know either way.

Quote:
I hear what you are saying VulchR, but I think we can all agree that there are various ways to teach teenagers how to have discussions about intimate matters and how to appropriately express boundaries without requiring them to self disclose to a large peer group what those exact personal preferences/boundaries are.

If this exercise is part of an approved curriculum then it is poorly designed and steps should be taken to improve how the lesson can be taught without invading the individual students privacy.

Last edited by mscriv; Jun 18, 2014 at 02:18 PM.
mscriv is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 05:25 PM   #37
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
Just an observation. It's rare to read a right-wing article without seeing something about taxpayer this, taxpayer that.
This isn't a right wing vs left wing thing. We finally get a topic that is typically not partisan and someone tries to make it that way.

From the Taxpayer statement I just got that it was not a private school, and that we were paying for this crap to be taught. Legitimate information.

This is a school district is dumb thing....Nothing more.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues