Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bueller1

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
might be a dumb question but I have 250GB on my macbook pro and its pretty much all used up. I want to transfer everything to an external that way the laptop runs smoother but I still want to have access to it whenever I need. Does that make sense? what can i do

bueller1

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
me neither lol. my music alone is 70gb. I just want to free up some space not sure what else I can do. Would it be a smart move to just replace the hard drive? I have a Mid 2009 13" macbook pro. 2.53ghz Core 2 duo 4GB ram

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
Do you need to carry 70gb of music with you on your laptop? I have no music on my MacBook, iMac or ipad. I do however have music on my iPhone. I use music when on the go not when sitting at my desk or on the couch. Also can you free up space elsewhere? I just can't fathom needing a full 250gb of data while on the go. Just take with you what you need and throw everything else on an external hdd and keep that in your laptop bag for when its needed. I try to keep my pcs as light as possible. I find things from years ago I don't need all the time. That stuff gets moved to an external hdd or deleted. I'm sure you can free up a good amount of space by getting rid of things you don't really need. If not then upgrade your internal drive as mentioned above.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Unless you are using up over 90% of the space on your hard drive. There won't be much of a performance benefit by moving the files.

A larger and faster internal would make more sense. Say a 7,200 RPM drive. If you really want to maximize performance get an SSD for your main drive for OS and apps. Then replace your optical drive with a bay adapter and a large mechanical drive for file storage. That way you have the convenience of carrying everything with you and maximum performance.

With a bay adapter be sure to get the appropriate one for your Macbook model. Older ones need an IDE to SATA newer ones use SATA to SATA. Don't fall for the high priced Optibay. You can get cheap ones on eBay that are just as good.

bueller1

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Unless you are using up over 90% of the space on your hard drive. There won't be much of a performance benefit by moving the files.

A larger and faster internal would make more sense. Say a 7,200 RPM drive. If you really want to maximize performance get an SSD for your main drive for OS and apps. Then replace your optical drive with a bay adapter and a large mechanical drive for file storage. That way you have the convenience of carrying everything with you and maximum performance.

With a bay adapter be sure to get the appropriate one for your Macbook model. Older ones need an IDE to SATA newer ones use SATA to SATA. Don't fall for the high priced Optibay. You can get cheap ones on eBay that are just as good.

SSD sounds good. I have a mid 2009 13" macbook pro. I want to upgrade to 8GB RAM and add an SSD at the same time. This will be my first time doing something like this myself so I have a few questions. Should I replace my 250GB hdd with a 120GB SSD and then replace my optical drive with that same 250GB hdd that came with the macbook using a caddy tray from amazon like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Unibody...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Would it make a difference if I kept my HDD where it is and just added 120GB SSD in place of the optical drive?

also which folders besides Applications would I have to transfer to the SSD?

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I just can't fathom needing a full 250gb of data while on the go. Just take with you what you need and throw everything else on an external hdd and keep that in your laptop bag for when its needed. I try to keep my pcs as light as possible.
A larger hard drive is lighter and much more convenient than lugging an external drive everywhere you go. It also introduces another failure point. My MBP is my primary machine and I want all my music, videos, files, pictures, etc where ever I'm using it.

The hard drive in that vintage MBP is fairly easy to upgrade. I had a slightly older 17" MBP that I upgraded to 500gb. Took longer to clone the drive than to swap the hardware. Cost will be less than an external drive.

durruti

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2004
Jersey
I would put the SSD where the current 250GB HD is. If the caddy is jiggly, then maybe you should put the SSD there because the SSD is less sensitive then spinners in regards to turbulence.

In terms of primary/slave etc., and speed, I don't think it makes a difference, but someone correct me on that. Sometimes however, it does make a difference whichever SATA port you connect to; when the system tries to wake from sleep (I'm thinking about some previous gen. Sandforce controller based SSDs)

For SSD brand, I highly recommend the Samsung 840 or 830 Series SSD.

I also recommend a clean install of Mac OS.

SSD sounds good. I have a mid 2009 13" macbook pro. I want to upgrade to 8GB RAM and add an SSD at the same time. This will be my first time doing something like this myself so I have a few questions. Should I replace my 250GB hdd with a 120GB SSD and then replace my optical drive with that same 250GB hdd that came with the macbook using a caddy tray from amazon like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Unibody...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Would it make a difference if I kept my HDD where it is and just added 120GB SSD in place of the optical drive?

also which folders besides Applications would I have to transfer to the SSD?

davedev100

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
Suggest New Internal Hard Drive

I just upgraded my Macbook Pro hard drive going from 300 gb to 1 tb. Always go for the biggest you can afford. Get a portable kit with the new drive. Then when you upgrade you can put the new drive in the portable kit, clone your interal old drive and then swap the drives, old in the portable enclosure, new cloned drive in your laptop. Then you have a backup of the old just drive just in case and ultimately can erase the old drive and use it as a portable.

I'd also suggest getting an external drive for running Time Machine.

bueller1

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Not sure how I feel about hybrid. Now I'm contemplating whether or not I wanna go through the measure of replacing my optical drive. I think I might stick with one SSD to replace my HDD. 512GB is a little expensive though and my 256 isn't enough with CS5, Logic, and my music taking up over 100GB

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
If you don't want to mess around with your optical drive why not just buy a larger 7200 hard drive (and a USB hard drive enclosure) and do this:

1: Put your new hard drive in the external USB enclosure and connect to your PC.
2: Use a disk cloner (such as Carbon Copy Cloner) to clone your drive to the external.
3: remove your original drive and replace with the one you just put in the external enclosure.
4: Boot up and your mac should work as it always did, just with more space.

I've done this loads of times without any issues at all.

An SSD would be nice, but you are going to have to pay a considerable amount for one larger than the drive you already have. If you dont want to remove your optical drive or use an external this may be your only real option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.