Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old May 7, 2013, 02:12 PM   #51
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Should have...
I have found out via several posts today that....my joke stink.
tshrimp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 11:25 PM   #52
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuff View Post
It doesn't have to hurt me to be @$#*ing stupid. A bad idea is one thing, but this is a flat out scam. They will never raise .01% of the money it would take to go to Mars, but they will get lots of attention and media coverage along the way, and be famous for a little bit until everybody forgets about it. What will happen to the donation money is anyone's guess, but it sure won't be going to a Mars mission.
So what if you think it's stupid. Still doesn't effect you.

I heard on the radio today that a guy is spending 40 days and 40 nights on a rock island 200 miles off the coast of england or something just to say he did it.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 01:40 AM   #53
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
... I heard on the radio today that a guy is spending 40 days and 40 nights on a rock island 200 miles off the coast of england or something just to say he did it.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man! ― Jebediah Springfield.
Old May 10, 2013, 01:22 PM   #54
Arran
macrumors 68000

Quote:
That is true. However if filmbuff wants to indulge in some healthy cynicism of an expedition that is, itself, highly cynical, then how does that affect you? Take your own advice and leave him be!

Quote:
I heard on the radio today that a guy is spending 40 days and 40 nights on a rock island 200 miles off the coast of england or something just to say he did it.
Well that's just dandy. 40 days and nights and then safely back home. Cool.

However, if we look closely at the Mars thing, the 'Founder' is not really a rugged adventurer at all. He's not a Felix Baumgartner, freefalling from 24 miles up. He's not a Richard Branson, ballooning his way across the Pacific. No. If you watch his interviews, he clearly wants to send someone else to the rock forever while he stays home and counts the TV royalties. He's clueless. In one TED interview, he proudly explains that not one of the official national space agencies could do what he's doing because, "they want to get their people back". Well imagine that.
Old May 11, 2013, 01:14 AM   #55
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I rather disagree. I would like to see a real Mars project, round trip and all. As a scam, Mars One will turn the public off on the idea of Mars exploration, possible leave the impression that it is just no doable. And were it to actually proceed, its ultimate failure will be spectacular and grisly, becoming an even bigger turn-off to people.

Humans stay healthiest by continuing to learn stuff, and society is a sort of extrapolation of humans. Going to Mars and back would be a good learning experience, good for all of us. Mars One, IMO, would not be a good learning experience.
Old May 14, 2013, 08:44 AM   #56
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuff View Post
I disagree. The Moon was a huge technical challenge and we managed to go from no manned spaceflight at all to landing on the Moon in 10 years. That required the development of everything; booster rockets, crew vehicles, docking technology, the lander, even spacesuits. Mars would have been expensive but there was nothing preventing it from happening. NOW however we are in a much worse position to go there. We have lost the technology, expertise and most importantly the motivation. If we started right now and poured tons of money into it I don't think it could happen before 2035.
In 1968, I remember watching a movie that indicated a moon station and orbiting hotel in 33 years... what happened?
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues