Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Sep 13, 2013, 07:58 AM   #1
Mvkoe
macrumors member

Creating Mac apps.

Hey

I'm willing to start programming for mac, but I'm a bit lost on the programming of opening a new view/window with apps for mac.

I have a bit of experience with programming for iPhone, and from that i know that you can push views, working with segue's and stuff. But in mac programming it's a bit different. I can't seem to find some books or tutorials on simple things, like when i click a button a new window will appear with some stuff that i would get from the previous window. Like iPhone programming you could use the push to segue thingy.

Does anyone can say some good books on start making apps for mac ?

Regards.
Mvkoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 09:13 AM   #2
robvas
macrumors 68000

This is the classic guide to Mac programming:

http://www.bignerdranch.com/book/coc..._x_th_edition_

Apple has some free material here:

https://developer.apple.com/library/...roduction.html
robvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:44 AM   #3
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Segues and storyboards are a relatively recent addition to the iOS SDK (they're about 2 years old now,) that haven't been added to the OS X SDK yet. They aren't really needed, though, because whereas in iOS apps normally have strictly defined flows to them, OS X apps often don't. There's a menubar that can be accessed at any time which is often full of ways of jumping between different parts of an OS X application, for example.

The closest thing you can do is instead use XIBs, which are available for and have roughly the same features in both OS X and iOS.

Alternatively, you're not limited to Xcode / Obj-C / Cocoa when you do Mac development. There are numerous other IDEs and languages you could choose to write OS X applications in. You could choose to use Python or Java, instead, which have the advantage of being (relatively) easy to port to other platforms. Unless you want to sell your app via the Mac App Store. Apple requires those apps to be native. But again, unlike with iOS where Apple's store is the only way of distributing your apps, on OS X you could set up your own store online, or distribute through Amazon, or Steam, to name a few options.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:50 AM   #4
Mvkoe
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Segues and storyboards are a relatively recent addition to the iOS SDK (they're about 2 years old now,) that haven't been added to the OS X SDK yet. They aren't really needed, though, because whereas in iOS apps normally have strictly defined flows to them, OS X apps often don't. There's a menubar that can be accessed at any time which is often full of ways of jumping between different parts of an OS X application, for example.

The closest thing you can do is instead use XIBs, which are available for and have roughly the same features in both OS X and iOS.

Alternatively, you're not limited to Xcode / Obj-C / Cocoa when you do Mac development. There are numerous other IDEs and languages you could choose to write OS X applications in. You could choose to use Python or Java, instead, which have the advantage of being (relatively) easy to port to other platforms. Unless you want to sell your app via the Mac App Store. Apple requires those apps to be native. But again, unlike with iOS where Apple's store is the only way of distributing your apps, on OS X you could set up your own store online, or distribute through Amazon, or Steam, to name a few options.
Thanks for the comments! Yea i know about Java, i've started programming there, but now i want to go the objective-c road on, for making apps for in the mac app store.
Mvkoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 11:11 PM   #5
MeUnix
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvkoe View Post

Does anyone can say some good books on start making apps for mac ?

Regards.
A good book to learn Obj-C so you can make apps for the Mac App Store is "Learn Objective-C on the Mac: For OS X and iOS; Second Edition" by Scott Knaster, Waqar Malik, Mark Dalrymple.

This is the book I started with when I started learning Obj-C for OS X.

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:08 AM   #6
Miguel Cunha
macrumors regular

Since I also want to begin learning Objective-C, can anyone give me feedback on this book?

Programming in Objective-C (5th Edition) (Developer's Library) by Stephen Kochan.

Thank you in advance.
Miguel Cunha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 06:47 AM   #7
Ja Di ksw
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Ja Di ksw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Cunha View Post
Since I also want to begin learning Objective-C, can anyone give me feedback on this book?

Programming in Objective-C (5th Edition) (Developer's Library) by Stephen Kochan.

Thank you in advance.
Kochan is good, I'm reading him now. His books are usually on the recommended reading list.

Also, as one noobie learning to another, good luck
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Miguel Cunha
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Di ksw View Post
Kochan is good, I'm reading him now. His books are usually on the recommended reading list.

Also, as one noobie learning to another, good luck
thank you Ja Di ksw, not only for the recommendation, but also also for your support.

Best wishes for you as well.
Miguel Cunha is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming