Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mvkoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Belgium
Hey

I'm willing to start programming for mac, but I'm a bit lost on the programming of opening a new view/window with apps for mac.

I have a bit of experience with programming for iPhone, and from that i know that you can push views, working with segue's and stuff. But in mac programming it's a bit different. I can't seem to find some books or tutorials on simple things, like when i click a button a new window will appear with some stuff that i would get from the previous window. Like iPhone programming you could use the push to segue thingy.

Does anyone can say some good books on start making apps for mac ?

Regards.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Segues and storyboards are a relatively recent addition to the iOS SDK (they're about 2 years old now,) that haven't been added to the OS X SDK yet. They aren't really needed, though, because whereas in iOS apps normally have strictly defined flows to them, OS X apps often don't. There's a menubar that can be accessed at any time which is often full of ways of jumping between different parts of an OS X application, for example.

The closest thing you can do is instead use XIBs, which are available for and have roughly the same features in both OS X and iOS.

Alternatively, you're not limited to Xcode / Obj-C / Cocoa when you do Mac development. There are numerous other IDEs and languages you could choose to write OS X applications in. You could choose to use Python or Java, instead, which have the advantage of being (relatively) easy to port to other platforms. Unless you want to sell your app via the Mac App Store. Apple requires those apps to be native. But again, unlike with iOS where Apple's store is the only way of distributing your apps, on OS X you could set up your own store online, or distribute through Amazon, or Steam, to name a few options.

Mvkoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Belgium
Segues and storyboards are a relatively recent addition to the iOS SDK (they're about 2 years old now,) that haven't been added to the OS X SDK yet. They aren't really needed, though, because whereas in iOS apps normally have strictly defined flows to them, OS X apps often don't. There's a menubar that can be accessed at any time which is often full of ways of jumping between different parts of an OS X application, for example.

The closest thing you can do is instead use XIBs, which are available for and have roughly the same features in both OS X and iOS.

Alternatively, you're not limited to Xcode / Obj-C / Cocoa when you do Mac development. There are numerous other IDEs and languages you could choose to write OS X applications in. You could choose to use Python or Java, instead, which have the advantage of being (relatively) easy to port to other platforms. Unless you want to sell your app via the Mac App Store. Apple requires those apps to be native. But again, unlike with iOS where Apple's store is the only way of distributing your apps, on OS X you could set up your own store online, or distribute through Amazon, or Steam, to name a few options.

Thanks for the comments! Yea i know about Java, i've started programming there, but now i want to go the objective-c road on, for making apps for in the mac app store.

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
Does anyone can say some good books on start making apps for mac ?

Regards.

A good book to learn Obj-C so you can make apps for the Mac App Store is "Learn Objective-C on the Mac: For OS X and iOS; Second Edition" by Scott Knaster, Waqar Malik, Mark Dalrymple.

This is the book I started with when I started learning Obj-C for OS X.

Hope this helps! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.