Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:56 AM   #101
shenan1982
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPNFRK7 View Post
To OP:
I like the idea and would definitely buy one (Version 2) if you were to start selling it. I like the brushed aluminum look and would probably have it painted/anodized black to match the phone.
Oh lord... the guy is making this in his garage... not to put him down, but there are a million and 1 companies already making the same exact product and have been for years. They have the marketing, the production, and the know-how. Just because they don't post their half-baked after school prototypes for all to see doesn't mean this guy made anything new or revolutionary, this guy isn't reinventing the wheel, he copied what's been done over and over, research it.
shenan1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:06 PM   #102
JPNFRK7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenan1982 View Post
Oh lord... the guy is making this in his garage... not to put him down, but there are a million and 1 companies already making the same exact product and have been for years. They have the marketing, the production, and the know-how. Just because they don't post their half-baked after school prototypes for all to see doesn't mean this guy made anything new or revolutionary, this guy isn't reinventing the wheel, he copied what's been done over and over, research it.
The difference is, I trust a guy making it in his garage a lot more than something that comes straight out of another country. I think his would be much better quality than any others that I see. I like to support an American Made product when I can.
iPodTouch3G 32GB RedSn0w JB 5.1.1
JPNFRK7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 09:13 PM   #103
douglascs83
macrumors newbie

Double battery w/ rapid charger

Has there been any progress in this area? I would like to see an option for the iphone 5 as well. Maybe even with the old iphone power port on the extended part. I wasn't sure if anyone on here also does mods like OSUengineer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
douglascs83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 11:30 AM   #104
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUengineer View Post
Yupp at a 6.7c (10amp) charge rate a 1.5Ah battery would take 10 minutes to charge. I would probably say 5c would be wise for battery safety since lipo batteries can be dangerous. I have found some that can go up 15c which would be 22.5 amps for a 1.5Ah battery and a 4 minute charge time as long as you have an RC hobby style charger that can handle it. I am thinking the back would have a completely separate low profile plug that would connect directly to the battery.
What about inherent charging inefficiencies and I bet apples charging algorithm would not permit a charge rate of 10 Amps. The phone changes its equivalent resistance to decrease current as the battery approaches full (i.e. it senses the potential difference between actual charge amount and 100 percent fully charged and decreases current as it approaches full charge and assuming it has pasted 80 percent.)
561427 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 03:13 PM   #105
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Yo dawg, I herd u liek batterys so we put another battery on top of your battery
Old May 22, 2013, 03:24 PM   #106
kalirob99
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to kalirob99
Seeing this thread again I was actually excited that there could be progress.
kalirob99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 07:49 PM   #107
douglascs83
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalirob99 View Post
Seeing this thread again I was actually excited that there could be progress.
Same here. I am in central OK and wanted to buy one off OSUengineer.
Old May 23, 2013, 07:23 AM   #108
Sital
macrumors 65816

Unfortunately, it looks like the OP hasn't been back on MacRumors since his last post a year ago.
Old May 23, 2013, 07:25 PM   #109
kalirob99
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to kalirob99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sital View Post
Unfortunately, it looks like the OP hasn't been back on MacRumors since his last post a year ago.
How sad.
kalirob99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 02:07 AM   #110
douglascs83
macrumors newbie

I am thinking of fabricating a replaceable external battery pack (Xbox 360 recharge pack) that I can snap to the back of my phone. I plan on cutting the back of a controller where the pack clicks on and glueing it to my phone with wires that will tie onto the factory battery. I don't know what all will be involved and have a lot of work ahead of me. If anyone has any ideas/tips/tricks, I look forward to hearing them.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 01:55 PM   #111
iAdden
macrumors newbie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUengineer View Post
Hi I am an engineering student at OSU and wanted more battery life while studying and pulling all nighters on my iPhone 4. So I added a second battery!

I had to fab a new back for the phone but the upside is the back it now aluminum and doesn't need a back cover, just maybe a bumper so it is smaller than if it had an otter box. Here is the final product! It looks a little jankey but I did make it with a dremel, a file, a hammer, and some stong epoxy. Let me know if you have questions or would like me to make one for you! It is fully reversible for warranties as well. It gets about twice the battery life as the original. Enjoy!

Edit: The start of version two are the last two!
I think this is a genius idea. Although the aesthetics might not be all there, this is one time I prefer performance over aesthetics. I would love to buy one of these from you. Please send me a message. iadden@hotmail.com
iAdden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:11 PM   #112
TriJetHero
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAdden View Post
I think this is a genius idea. Although the aesthetics might not be all there, this is one time I prefer performance over aesthetics. I would love to buy one of these from you. Please send me a message. iadden@hotmail.com
I doubt he will react as his last activity was more than a year ago….

Besides that it is never a good idea to post a private email address on an open board.
Mac Book Pro 15" mid 2010
TriJetHero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 02:55 PM   #113
kumquat
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglascs83 View Post
Has there been any progress in this area? I would like to see an option for the iphone 5 as well. Maybe even with the old iphone power port on the extended part.
That's a fantastic idea!
kumquat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 03:44 PM   #114
hackthatphone
macrumors 68000

While I appreciate American ingenuity I don't see this every going anywhere as it's already been more than a year and a half. You could get the RichardSolo Power Case For iPhone 5 today for $50 and it more than doubles your battery time. No need to keep checking this thread to see if this will ever come into production.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 07:44 PM   #115
jjsap
macrumors newbie

2 litihium ion batteries in parallel

Hi,

Saw this mod, and would really like to do it. Can you write a quick explanation step by step how to do this??
jjsap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2013, 08:44 PM   #116
powerstrokin
macrumors 6502

The OP hasn't been around in over a year apparently. Perhaps it would be wise of you to skim through the thread next time.
powerstrokin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2013, 02:01 AM   #117
KeegM480
macrumors 6502a

I really like this! Not being able to get an extended battery has always been my least favorite thing about the iPhone. Looks pretty darn good for not having a factory at your disposal!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 02:05 AM   #118
darricksailo
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeegM480 View Post
I really like this! Not being able to get an extended battery has always been my least favorite thing about the iPhone. Looks pretty darn good for not having a factory at your disposal!
Just buy something like a mophie case. This post started up quite a long time ago
darricksailo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2013, 02:13 AM   #119
KeegM480
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by darricksailo View Post
Just buy something like a mophie case. This post started up quite a long time ago
I haven't seen anyone have good luck with those, everyone I know that used one has had their battery go bad on the iPhone, I would rather have a dead battery than a ruined battery. (I dont really need one anyway, Im hoping the cydia tweak for battery boosting is updated for iOS 7 soon
Old Jan 2, 2014, 07:26 PM   #120
matthew2926
macrumors member

OP, if you wanted the back cover to look more original, one idea is to make some sort of back extender that hooks on to the midframe of the iPhone and creates the necessary room for the battery mod. Then, you would simply hook the extender onto the midframe and then the original back onto the extender. This might also allow you to fit a third battery in there. I understand that some people might like the metal look, but I just wanted to offer up this extender idea to you.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew2926 View Post
OP, if you wanted the back cover to look more original, one idea is to make some sort of back extender that hooks on to the midframe of the iPhone and creates the necessary room for the battery mod. Then, you would simply hook the extender onto the midframe and then the original back onto the extender. This might also allow you to fit a third battery in there. I understand that some people might like the metal look, but I just wanted to offer up this extender idea to you.
Also, if you were to go with this extender idea, you could potentially create the same battery mod for the iPhone 5, 5C, and 5S. All you would have to do is create an extender for the iPhone 5 series, but rather than extending the back you would have to extend the front screen. Probably not easily done but definitely something I would pay for.
matthew2926 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 09:08 PM   #121
matthew2926
macrumors member

Do you think you could post a brief tutorial on how to wire the batteries together?
matthew2926 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks