Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Looking to buy a Mac Mini, Core i7 2.6 with 4GB apple ram and upgrade myself to 16GB crucial ram. I plan to run the CS4 master collection, aperture, final cut pro, compressor, cubase & logic. Obviously not all at the same time! Is there any of these apps that the mini would struggle with or will i be okay?

Thanks
Jake

Last edited:

Pecans

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
My 2011 base mac mini with 16gb of ram runs Aperture fine so you shouldn't have any problems with your programs.

Nov 28, 2010
located
what are the specs of that?

Dual Core i5 probably.

There are many threads asking, if a Quad Core Mac mini is capable of doing what you want, and the consensus of these threads is, that it is.

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the
MR_Edit_GoAdvanced_button.png
button below your message.

nikolajlr

macrumors member
May 11, 2011
Denmark
Hi All,
Looking to buy a Mac Mini, Core i7 2.6 with 4GB apple ram and upgrade myself to 16GB crucial ram. I plan to run the CS4 master collection, aperture, final cut pro, compressor, cubase & logic. Obviously not all at the same time! Is there any of these apps that the mini would struggle with or will i be okay?

Thanks
Jake

Please note the Core i7 Minis tend to get noisy fan-wise when under load (my 2.6 GHz included). Not sure about the i5's.

You might want to take a look at this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1499299/

Cheers,
Nikolaj

Jiskefet

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
I have the MM 2.6, I7 fusion drive and 16Gb RAM

I work with Aperture3 and PSE8 this works fine , but working with FCP X give's a lot of spinning wheels , so i don,t think that the MM is suitable for video editing , to bad .

Amrives

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2012
My 2.3 i7 quad runs cs6 without skipping a beat and logic is solid. It is NOT noisy at all. Only thing about the minis would be the integrated graphics, and you'll want to upgrade the hard drive to a top of the line solid state to write the highest quality final cut projects you can. My mini has 16gb RAM with 768mb shared VRAM, it runs 1080p quite smoothly but if you were going to use programs like modul8 with illustrator and after effects I'd get something with some discrete graphics i.e. c2d 17" MBP or newer 15" MBP's will probably have at least 512mb cards'

zosobao5150

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Central Ohio
A dedicated GPU does make a difference in video editing. I don't remember the reference, but the HD4000 to about 2x as long to render video compared to the 650M. Just something to consider. For CPU intensive tasks, the mini is fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.