Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:06 AM   #1
pmcneil
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Is there an advantage to buying Amazon, Bestbuy (Non-Apple Stores)?

I'm in the market for a 13" Macbook Pro Retina Display, I'm just wondering if there is any advantage to buying from the Apple store/site in terms of Warranty, AppleCare etc..

I'm a college student so I get the educational discount, the model I'm looking at is the base 13" Macbook Pro with Retina Display, 128GB Flash Storage.

On Apple.com my total with tax and my educational discount is:

$1496.00

On Amazon, due to no tax I could potentially get the same model, with 256GB Storage for about the same price:

$1499.00

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-...+pro+13+retina


I'm just wondering if I go with an amazon purchase that would be cheaper than straight from apple, would I be eligible for the same coverage by Apple, etc as if I did buy it from Apple? I would buy Apple Care from where ever I can find it cheapest.

Thanks
pmcneil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:12 AM   #2
jav6454
macrumors G5
 
jav6454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Coverage for warranty is the same. Regardless which vendor sold it to you.
__________________
Al MacBook 2.4GHz Late '08 | 5 S⃣ | Macross Click Me
jav6454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Hungry&Foolish
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Last week Baseline 13 retina was on sale for 1299 on Macconnection. http://appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide
Hungry&Foolish is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:17 PM   #4
agenda893
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
The advantage to non-apple stores is finding one that doesn't charge sales tax. Amazon in most states doesn't, and if you live in one that does you can always look at expircom or abt. As far as AppleCare goes you can save a bundle buying it from lacomputercompany - just go to their website and search for it. Instead of $350 for applecare on a 15" retina macbook pro I bought it from them for $235. The 13" applecare is only $167.
agenda893 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 01:00 PM   #5
saturnotaku
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Coverage for warranty is the same. Regardless which vendor sold it to you.
Provided the vendor is authorized by Apple, which Amazon, Best Buy, and MicroCenter are (among others).
__________________
MacBook Pro 15 (Late 2011)
Core i7 2860QM | 16 GB RAM | AMD Radeon 6770M | SSD | High-Res Antiglare | OS X + Win 7
iPhone 4S (Verizon 64 GB)
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 01:07 PM   #6
bobr1952
macrumors 68000
 
bobr1952's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Melbourne, FL
I bought my rNBP from Amazon to save sales tax--Florida has sales tax but has not yet jumped on the bandwagon to aggressively pursue sales tax from online merchants.
__________________
2012 rMPB, 2.3 Intel Core i7, 8GB Ram, 256 SSD; 2008 iMac, 24", 2GB, 500GB; Time Capsule 500GB (1st Gen); ATV3; ATV2; Airport Express; Black 64GB iPhone 4S; Black iPad Air, 32GB, wi-fi
bobr1952 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 01:50 PM   #7
dacreativeguy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
If you want to buy from someone other than apple, the choice of retailer does matter, aside from the best price. Apple assigns special serial numbers to machines sold by retailers like Best Buy, but Amazon sells machines with normal Apple serial numbers.

Does this matter?

If the machine comes and is perfect out of the box, then no. It is the same machine no matter where you buy it. The serial number is just a tracking code for Apple. But if the machine arrives with a defect or DOA, then the serial number DOES matter. If you bought from Best Buy, you can't walk into an Apple store and exchange it for a new one. You must deal with Best Buy.

Since Amazon sells machines with serial numbers identical to those sold by Apple, you CAN walk into an Apple store and get a brand new replacement right there without having to deal with warranties or repairs. Oh, the lower level geniuses will hassle you about not having an Apple receipt, but just ask to speak to the manager and they'll help you out. I've unfortunately had to do this 2x before on totally different macbook purchases.
dacreativeguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 03:11 PM   #8
pmcneil
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry&Foolish View Post
Last week Baseline 13 retina was on sale for 1299 on Macconnection. http://appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide
Thanks for that site! B&H seems to be the best posted price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ETINA_13_.html

The reviews from B&H seem to be solid, are they a good alternative to Apple Store?

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful.

Edit:

Base rMBP , With Applecare + lojack for laptops (free) from B&H:

Total : $1,566.00

lojack for laptops seems like the software that interests me the most. I dont do any photo editing and I'm not sure if Parallels interests me much. However, I would be interested in hearing any free software suggestions?

Last edited by pmcneil; Apr 1, 2013 at 03:28 PM.
pmcneil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 06:20 PM   #9
Murgatroyd
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcneil View Post
Thanks for that site! B&H seems to be the best posted price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ETINA_13_.html

The reviews from B&H seem to be solid, are they a good alternative to Apple Store?

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful.
The selection of merchandise at B&H is extensive. I live in New York. It's a large store, and the place is always on my list when I want to check out a variety of similar products, and to look at and get my hands on any one product before purchase. Management of the store from sales staff to purchasing is impressive. I don't need to purchase things online, but I have no doubt this department is up to par.
__________________
MacBook 7,1 (240 GB OWC Mercury Electra 6G SSD, 16 GB OWC RAM)
Someday, MURGATROYD WILL LIVE!
Murgatroyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 07:06 PM   #10
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Well, you could sign up for an Amazon credit card with the purchase, then you could get money off the purchase, and get the points, which will further your discount.

Just pay it off immediately, and you're setting pretty good.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 07:12 PM   #11
pmcneil
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murgatroyd View Post
The selection of merchandise at B&H is extensive. I live in New York. It's a large store, and the place is always on my list when I want to check out a variety of similar products, and to look at and get my hands on any one product before purchase. Management of the store from sales staff to purchasing is impressive. I don't need to purchase things online, but I have no doubt this department is up to par.
Thanks for your reply!
pmcneil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 07:40 AM   #12
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacreativeguy View Post
Apple assigns special serial numbers to machines sold by retailers like Best Buy, but Amazon sells machines with normal Apple serial numbers.
\
Care to provide proof of this? A quick googling found nothing even remotely mentioning this about Apple products. I'm not saying it isn't true, but I am questioning why Best buy but not Amazon.... In the end a reseller is a reseller isn't it?
__________________
MBP 8,2 15" 2.2Ghz w/ 120GB SSD + 500GB
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 09:34 AM   #13
utekineir
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
The advantage is obvious.

Price

Resellers are able to skirt map pricing. I.e. best buy and micro center ads that show the msrp price on an apple item then have save $xxx right below it. Best buy for example also has a rewards program, and on occasion has bonus days. During the christmas season Wednesdays were 3x points.

Last fall bh photo was selling rmbps at less than msrp, with discounted apple care available and free parallels. Not a bad deal.

Chances are the only discount you'll get in an apple store is academic.
__________________
nothing useful to say
utekineir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 09:41 AM   #14
obiegrad
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
If you have a Discover Card see if any merchant you are looking at accepts ShopDiscover. Apple does for most (but not all) products which is worth 5% cash back. Last year on a Macbook Air I combined the academic discount with the 5% from Shop Discover and the 5% cash back for online shopping for a nice savings and 10% back.
obiegrad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 01:01 AM   #15
troy14
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
Care to provide proof of this? A quick googling found nothing even remotely mentioning this about Apple products. I'm not saying it isn't true, but I am questioning why Best buy but not Amazon.... In the end a reseller is a reseller isn't it?

There is no proof because that post is 100% false.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacreativeguy View Post
If you want to buy from someone other than apple, the choice of retailer does matter, aside from the best price. Apple assigns special serial numbers to machines sold by retailers like Best Buy, but Amazon sells machines with normal Apple serial numbers.

Does this matter?

If the machine comes and is perfect out of the box, then no. It is the same machine no matter where you buy it. The serial number is just a tracking code for Apple. But if the machine arrives with a defect or DOA, then the serial number DOES matter. If you bought from Best Buy, you can't walk into an Apple store and exchange it for a new one. You must deal with Best Buy.

Since Amazon sells machines with serial numbers identical to those sold by Apple, you CAN walk into an Apple store and get a brand new replacement right there without having to deal with warranties or repairs. Oh, the lower level geniuses will hassle you about not having an Apple receipt, but just ask to speak to the manager and they'll help you out. I've unfortunately had to do this 2x before on totally different macbook purchases.
You're spreading complete BS. You can walk into an Apple store with any machine still under warranty and get it fixed / replaced for any reason as long as it is covered under warranty terms. They don't care if the laptop was stolen found on the side of the road given to you by a llama or bought at best buy.
troy14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 01:09 AM   #16
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy14 View Post
There is no proof because that post is 100% false.

----------


You're spreading complete BS. You can walk into an Apple store with any machine still under warranty and get it fixed / replaced for any reason as long as it is covered under warranty terms. They don't care if the laptop was stolen found on the side of the road given to you by a llama or bought at best buy.
I've never heard of such nonsense as a special serial number.

However there is a chop shop in LA that will happily sell you a salvaged Lexus with the VIN numbers ground off.

While their cars are stolen, the prices are great
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 05:15 AM   #17
plumosa
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Australia
The thing I have run into a proble with is warrantee coverage. I bought an iPod from amazon and right around the one year mark the battery was shot and needed to be fixed. However, since I bought it from amazon, it went off the date it went to amazon which was a couple months before I bought it. I probably could have argued it or talked with amazon but I didn't make the effort and just replaced it myself.
__________________
2011 11" mba 2007 imac 2004 powerbook g4 iPhone 3gs iPad 2
plumosa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 05:32 AM   #18
KaraH
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumosa View Post
The thing I have run into a proble with is warrantee coverage. I bought an iPod from amazon and right around the one year mark the battery was shot and needed to be fixed. However, since I bought it from amazon, it went off the date it went to amazon which was a couple months before I bought it. I probably could have argued it or talked with amazon but I didn't make the effort and just replaced it myself.
I am going to guess that is less of an issue if you go somewhere you can customise a mac order and do so. It is not like a reseller can keep all possible variations of the products in their warehouse. They probably will not sit on it either as the sooner they ship it to you the sooner they can charge your card and free up the space it was using in their shipping facility.
__________________
through the years: Apple ][ eventually upgraded to a //e (and it never really died), Centris 660AV, PowerMac 7600, Macbook, iPod 5G, eMac, a couple of aluminium iMacs, STILL hoping for a 2013 MP
KaraH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 06:31 AM   #19
troy14
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumosa View Post
The thing I have run into a proble with is warrantee coverage. I bought an iPod from amazon and right around the one year mark the battery was shot and needed to be fixed. However, since I bought it from amazon, it went off the date it went to amazon which was a couple months before I bought it. I probably could have argued it or talked with amazon but I didn't make the effort and just replaced it myself.
You can submit a validated warranty date, requires a fax or scan of the original receipt to Apple and they will adjust accordingly
troy14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 06:57 AM   #20
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy14 View Post
There is no proof because that post is 100% false.[COLOR="#808080"]

.

I was 99% sure it was completely false, but I gave him the opportunity to prove otherwise. There's a lot of FUD out there. Just another example I guess!
__________________
MBP 8,2 15" 2.2Ghz w/ 120GB SSD + 500GB
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 09:23 AM   #21
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcneil View Post
On Amazon, due to no tax I could potentially get the same model, with 256GB Storage for about the same price:
Remember that buying at Amazon is not tax free. It only means that the seller doesn't ask you to pay the tax and sends it to the IRS, you'll have to do that yourself. Buying at Amazon and not paying the tax is tax evasion. Whether you get caught or not is another question, but you should know what you are doing.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:03 AM   #22
saturnotaku
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Remember that buying at Amazon is not tax free. It only means that the seller doesn't ask you to pay the tax and sends it to the IRS, you'll have to do that yourself. Buying at Amazon and not paying the tax is tax evasion. Whether you get caught or not is another question, but you should know what you are doing.
Sales taxes are handled at the local/state level, not by the feds.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15 (Late 2011)
Core i7 2860QM | 16 GB RAM | AMD Radeon 6770M | SSD | High-Res Antiglare | OS X + Win 7
iPhone 4S (Verizon 64 GB)
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:34 AM   #23
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020
 
Mr. McMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Remember that buying at Amazon is not tax free. It only means that the seller doesn't ask you to pay the tax and sends it to the IRS, you'll have to do that yourself. Buying at Amazon and not paying the tax is tax evasion. Whether you get caught or not is another question, but you should know what you are doing.
I wonder how many people get caught.. Seriously, do you know anyone who pays the uncollected tax?
__________________
Mid 2011 Mac Mini, 2.3 GHz, 8GB of RAM, 500 GB HD, 2 TB external HD, 40" Samsung Display, 4th gen iPod Shuffle
Custom built Windows 7 PC, 2nd gen Nexus 7, (2) Roku 3's
Mr. McMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 04:04 PM   #24
pmcneil
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McMac View Post
I wonder how many people get caught.. Seriously, do you know anyone who pays the uncollected tax?
Agreed.

Anyway, thanks for all the helpful input. I ordered from B&H
pmcneil is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC