Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superman23

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
Nice stand but with the usual Apple premium attached.

i bet you couldn't copy it and sell it for less. in fact, i bet you couldnt make one of these for $70, or 1000 of them for $70,000. i'll even allow you to make it in China.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

[url=http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image
[/url]

South Carolina-based Twelve South has released a new adjustable desktop stand designed to compliment Apple's sleek aluminum notebooks. The HiRise for MacBook stand elevates the notebook from a few inches to half a foot off the desk, while staying nearly invisible.

TwelveSouth sells a riser for the iMac as well, also called the HiRise.

HiRise for MacBook is available for $70 on the Twelve South website and Apple's online and retail stores.

Article Link: Twelve South Releases New MacBook Desktop Stand

Nice car jack, i mean laptop stand

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Cheap/Broken/Do NOT Buy

So I own the Rain mStand, and this new Twelve South looked nice... in the pix. So I got one. What a piece of junk. I took it out and thought I was missing a piece. It's so light, I thought it would fall over. It's thickest part is about half as thick as the mStand, and it's not all aluminum. I broke one of the arms that the computer rests on. The grips on the bottom of the unit do not grip. I used it on a flat wooden table (sealed) and it was moving all over the place.

It has aluminum color, but the arms are definitely not aluminum, it simply broke off, clean break. Alloy?

Also the grips that are supposed to grip the computer, along with the grips on the bottom that don't work, I wouldn't trust this with my computer on it. They tell you not to type while the computer is one, but they should tell you not to be near this when your computer is on it. I'd rather lose $70 than $2k.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
So I own the Rain mStand, and this new Twelve South looked nice... in the pix. So I got one. What a piece of junk. I took it out and thought I was missing a piece. It's so light, I thought it would fall over. It's thickest part is about half as thick as the mStand, and it's not all aluminum. I broke one of the arms that the computer rests on. The grips on the bottom of the unit do not grip. I used it on a flat wooden table (sealed) and it was moving all over the place.

It has aluminum color, but the arms are definitely not aluminum, it simply broke off, clean break. Alloy?

Also the grips that are supposed to grip the computer, along with the grips on the bottom that don't work, I wouldn't trust this with my computer on it. They tell you not to type while the computer is one, but they should tell you not to be near this when your computer is on it. I'd rather lose $70 than $2k.

I don't know what to make of your complaint. I own the X-Stand Pro. The Hi-Riser is a spin-off of the X-Stand. The X-Stand Pro is a rock solid, quality device. I find it hard to believe that the Hi-Riser is the way you describe it unless the one you purchased is defective.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I dig the aesthetics of Twelve South, though the products don't come cheap. I bought the BookArc a few days ago and really like the simple utility of it. It doesn't hold the cords efficiently but perhaps it's incentive to upgrade my monitor to the upcoming TB display.

zankou

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2012
i bought the hirise macbook desktop stand yesterday. the apple store did not have it on display but found one in back when i asked about it. sadly, i just returned it today and purchased an mstand instead.

the hirise had poor build quality and just felt cheap. the silicone grip on the arms was slightly misaligned and could be lifted up on the edges. even the height adjustment was clunky.

the mstand feels much more sturdy and actually rises my laptop higher off the desk than the hirise at its tallest setting. furthermore, it's easier to center my laptop on the mstand due to its design, based on the little notch in the front lip. conversely, with the hirise, it's more guesswork, and the laptop screen can be crooked if not centered properly.

obviously, i would not recommend the hirise at all.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You do realize that the space underneath is for storing the keyboard? When you are typing just pull the keyboard forward.

In my case I just use the keyboard on the Macbook when it's on the stand. But that's probably not very comfortable for a lot of folk.

That's great if you have a desk with enough depth. At the time, my wrists were hanging off the edge when I would do this and it made them hurt. I also wanted to sit closer so the screen since I do a lot of detailed work and I have a retina display. For my purposes I needed to type under the stand and it was easy to modify it to do so. Typing at a higher angle on the MacBook itself hurts my wrists. I always have my hands on the keyboard because I use a lot of shortcuts in Adobe Creative Suite apps and do a lot of coding.

vito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Manchester, UK
I've been contemplating the mstand until the twelve south came along. I have just recently sent back the mstand360 due to missing rubber pads. I've had a good look at the twelvesouth on display at the Apple store and it seems very sold, staff said its been on display for a while when asked how could the rubber grips are. They have the stand bolted to the table so it makes it hard to inspect.

Is the build quality really that bad? Anyone happy with theirs over the mstand?

Thanks!

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Disappointed as Well

I purchased this for my rMBP / ACD setup - so I could use both monitors. Coming from a TwelveSouth Book Arc I'm very shocked by the quality of this product.

The first thing I noticed when I removed it from the box was it appeared the finish was pitted and scratched in a few areas. Since my laptop will be sitting on it most of the time - I can overlook these imperfections.

Next, I placed my laptop on the stand. To my shock, the stand was quite wobbly. I adjusted it thinking it was due to the adjusting screw in the back not being tight, but that didn't solve the issue. It actually wobbles between the base and the pole. After doing some research it appears this is somewhat a common issue. While some say people have the stand upside down (causing the wobble), I can say I have the stand orientated correctly.

I will be sending this back. I'm very disappointed, this wouldn't be acceptable on a $29.99 stand, let alone a $70 stand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.