Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
What's interesting with these sorts of posts I noticed - many people are so keen on swapping out ram and hard drives but no one seems to be able to tackle the hinge with a few screws and some grease?

What is that one saying about insurance of any kind? Especially car insurance? It's the insurance that will kill you, the accident just injures you... So.... Applecare???

Food for thought...

I assumed all future financial responsibility when I cracked open my 17" MBP to upgrade the ram and rom in it, so I will make sure I can afford to pay for it when it needs tune ups by apple RATHER than rely on Applecare with all its hypocrisies and overall scam, weaseling their way around what they wanna cover and what they don't wanna cover after talking for over 8 hours a week on the phone or in person to SIMPLE just state your case while nothing is being done during that time to FIX any issue... ... I'm prepared to pay someone to fix my machine if it is something I CAN'T tackle, that way I can demand that it be done right the first time.

In MANY MANY case's applecare is way cheaper than replacing the part yourself. I'm more than capable of replacing the screen or Logic Board myself on my MBP. But for $300 i can have 2 years of free parts and labour? I've had my MBP for less than a year and its going in for its second logic board this weekend. A) Theres no way i'd be able to source a BRAND NEW part, and it would be a pain to fix. And two of them will cost far far far far more than applecare. And i can drop my machine in the morning, go to work, walk out of work and pick it up again. and i've save $200+ in the process of doing that.

Applecares worth it, unless its a hard drive failure, in which case you can replace it yourself and save time and money and STILL keep your warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spink10

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
What's interesting with these sorts of posts I noticed - many people are so keen on swapping out ram and hard drives but no one seems to be able to tackle the hinge with a few screws and some grease?

What is that one saying about insurance of any kind? Especially car insurance? It's the insurance that will kill you, the accident just injures you... So.... Applecare???

Food for thought...

I assumed all future financial responsibility when I cracked open my 17" MBP to upgrade the ram and rom in it, so I will make sure I can afford to pay for it when it needs tune ups by apple RATHER than rely on Applecare with all its hypocrisies and overall scam, weaseling their way around what they wanna cover and what they don't wanna cover after talking for over 8 hours a week on the phone or in person to just SIMPLY state one's case; while nothing is being done during that time to FIX any issue, I worry, I really worry... ...

I'm prepared to pay someone to fix my machine if it is something I CAN'T tackle, that way I can demand that it be done right the first time.

I'm glad for you - I will let apple fix my computer. They will make it well worth my time on the phone / extra time w/o MBP / frustration. I wish this problem didn't happen. But I will be heavily compensated for it. They completely dropped the ball.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
I've never had Applecare - I've just been able to bring it in and get what ever needed to be fixed fixed, 2 or 3 hundred dollars here and there when I needed it, which was only once for my 2006 17" Macbook pro in all these years. There are things you can do to take real good care of your machines and to really baby them, to be on top of things and really learn about the ins and outs of it all, be educated about your purchase and how to maintain it, how to avoid certain things online etc etc. There is so much information out there and many fixes one can do on their own now so very accessible, insurance is for those who are reckless and don't have time to care about anything but 'enjoyment' as if 'enjoyment' can be insured and all you need to do is run around thinking it is 'covered'. Life isn't like that for me, I have to cover my own a$$ at all times and if I want something done right I do it myself or pay for someone who will really get the job done right the first time or they can keep working on it (free of charge there after) until it is right. Cash is power. Insurance is an illusion and a definite false sense of 'security'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spink10

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I've never had Applecare - I've just been able to bring it in and get what ever needed to be fixed fixed, 2 or 3 hundred dollars here and there when I needed it, which was only once for my 2006 17" Macbook pro in all these years. There are things you can do to take real good care of your machines and to really baby them, to be on top of things and really learn about the ins and outs of it all, be educated about your purchase and how to maintain it, how to avoid certain things online etc etc. There is so much information out there and many fixes one can do on their own now so very accessible, insurance is for those who are reckless and don't have time to care about anything but 'enjoyment' as if 'enjoyment' can be insured and all you need to do is run around thinking it is 'covered'. Life isn't like that for me, I have to cover my own a$$ at all times and if I want something done right I do it myself or pay for someone who will really get the job done right the first time or they can keep working on it (free of charge there after) until it is right. Cash is power. Insurance is an illusion and a definite false sense of 'security'.

It still under the orignal 1 yr warranty - thanks bud

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
I agree 100% some even call the Applecare, extended warranty….etc idiot taxes since they all BS..I recently got the applecare on ebay for $200 because I noticed apple parts aren’t cheap to top it off I work in Kuwait and there is no Apple store here lol

Spink10

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Update: Apple repaired my MacBook Pro - not sure if at the repair depot or at the retail store.

Last edited:

Spink10

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
UPDATE: Not good. I thought there were no problems. Today I was finally able to look at my MBP. When I got home with my repaired MBP I noticed that had not reinstalled ML. No biggie - I thought...

Today I went to erase the current OS that was installed it was an internal version of Snow Leopard. Must have been a custom build for the repair center and diagnostics testing. Was not anything like Snow Leopard. I attempted to erase it from my HD. But it wont erase. Called Tech support - for 20 minutes - nothing. Then instructed me to take it into the Apple retail store for them to fix. I cannot get their custom version of Snow Leopard off my machine. I am so mad now - I cant believe all these problems. Spoke with a customer relations agent who is going to inform my original customer relations agent of my new problems.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
UPDATE: Not good. I thought there were no problems. Today I was finally able to look at my MBP. When I got home with my repaired MBP I noticed that had not reinstalled ML. No biggie - I thought...

Today I went to erase the current OS that was installed it was an internal version of Snow Leopard. Must have been a custom build for the repair center and diagnostics testing. Was not anything like Snow Leopard. I attempted to erase it from my HD. But it wont erase. Called Tech support - for 20 minutes - nothing. Then instructed me to take it into the Apple retail store for them to fix. I cannot get their custom version of Snow Leopard off my machine. I am so mad now - I cant believe all these problems. Spoke with a customer relations agent who is going to inform my original customer relations agent of my new problems.

Damn, that sucks. At least they'll compensate you. After all the hours I've spent arguing with AppleCare, I never was told I'd be compensated. Hope for the best.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
Maybe you should've read the Applecare terms and conditions. It clearly states That the equipment isn't covered if altered at all.

This is incorrect. The user guide for the MacBook Pro clearly states that both RAM and hard drive are user-replaceable items, and I have had AppleCare work on my machine which has had both upgraded.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Update: My MBP is now working like normal :)

Just FYI, I used to work in an Apple authorized service provider and this kind of stuff used to happen all the time. My suggestion would be to just reinstall the original parts before you take any Mac in for repair. I know it's kind of a hassle, but I'd say its less of a hassle than what you had to go through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.