Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Petronas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Long time Dropbox user but am obsessed with account minimization and have been dabbling in Google Drive for a little while. I've seen that they have recently allowed you to delete files from the iOS app however you still can't send files via email/SMS, or can you?

Anyway what are your opinions of Dropbox vs Drive for iOS? It seems Drive has 'almost' everything Dropbox has in terms of features plus a few more which include text editing and so on.

I'm eagerly waiting to make the jump (One less account to worry about).

danbeckemeyer

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
I use them both.

I've had Drive for quite some time, but I'm migrating files over. I do illustration and graphic design work, and most drawing apps on the iPad feature Dropbox storage/backup and other features like uploading custom fonts, etc. Since I've yet to see one of these apps support Drive, I am focusing my Dropbox on this only category.

My Drive will be holding my personal photo/video backup and all misc. documents & files. Dropbox features an automatic uploader for photos and videos, but I found that it was saving doubles of many files. I'm looking into if Drive can upload automatically—it has been trying to with Google+ anyway! :rolleyes:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I use both for a long time (Google Docs before Drive). Drive on the PC/Mac is so terrible that I've moved all my data to Dropbox (80+GB). Google Drive I used awhile for my documents as 80+GB on Google Drive really... REALLY .... really slowed it down (30+ mins of indexing at *every* startup - kills laptop battery life).

Dropbox seems to be better - has the automatic photo import (have to open it up, not sure how automatic that is)... Google Drive doesn't have that feature yet as far as I know - Google+ app does. Google's photo storage is pretty good - price wise. Loved Picasa but haven't used it recently - been storing everything on Dropbox just because it's a bit easier to copy a folder of pictures to Dropbox than to have a crappy Google Drive program on my PC (Dropbox is decades ahead of Google Drive atm).

Nothing beats Google's search though... Dropbox's search has been getting a lot better. Nothing beats Google's storage prices... but their PC app just kills that for me. Dropbox it is.

No doubt though, big company like Google? Only a matter of time before it perfects Google Drive to pass Dropbox in the near future. So I keep a paid 100GB Google Drive account going for when that happens.

On the iPhone Dropbox seems better but Google isn't far behind at all.

Petronas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2010
Sydney, Australia
On the iPhone Dropbox seems better but Google isn't far behind at all.

I see this too. I don't really see anything that Dropbox excels at on iOS over Drive that is of any significance to me. Perhaps one thing is being able to put a password on application entry.

One thing I can't work out is, how do you share files from Drive iOS app like you do in Dropbox. In Dropbox when you email a file it sends a link to download the file to your recipient but in Drive it seems the recipient must have a Google account to view the shared files?

Edit: You cannot share links via the iOS app yet...
http://support.google.com/drive/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2498081

Integration of the app "Phone Drive" was a major factor for me but I have realized that you can "Open file in Phone Drive" from the Google Drive app (This allows me to attach files that are not pictures to emails rather than send a link to them).

Does anyone know if you can re-open a Dropbox account using the same Name/Email after you have deleted the account? I realize that you probably will loose all the free space you accumulated over time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.