Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Djfremen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Boss bought a mini for a proprietary fibre server. I cloned a working partition in target mode and overwrote the ML factory install. Wham! The system doesn't boot and recovery partition is toast.

I also tried installing from a USB w/ lion installer restored to it.

The installer doesn't load!

Where did I go wrong? Has anyone got this to work?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Really?! There must be a way!

No you can't, If it's a 2012 Mini you can not instal an earlier OS.

Edit: To Install Mountain Lion again use internet Recovery by holding Command-R
It should automatically start internet recovery.
But, there is also a keyboard shortcut to directly get into that, I think it is Command-Option-R or Command-Shift-R

OS X: About OS X Recovery

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-04 at 15.04.47.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-04 at 15.04.47.png
    234.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Djfremen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Just to confirm the target mode install workaround wont work on the 2012 mini- only on the 2011 and previous.

I read that many users in the past were able to get Snow Leopard installed by using the following work around:

1. Find 2008 MBP / equivalent to host installation
2. Boot mini in target mode
3. Launch Lion installer and install on drive
4. Reboot holding option, selecting mini target mode drive to boot from
5. Install updates to get to 10.7.5+
6. Shutdown / Eject target mode mini
7. Turn on mini booting from fresh install

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Why do you need 10.7? It is the worst OS since 10.1!
Do you need to run software not-compatible with 10.8? Does that run in 10.6? I doubt there is 10.7 ONLY software. So best solution then is: buy Snow Leopard Server for 20 bucks, and run it inside virtual Box on ML.

Djfremen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Yes. Avid fibre manager (a big unity video server) is End Of Life and not supported in 10.8! That is the whole reason for this pain.

We were using an external thunderbolt chassis with an ATTO fibre card to connect the server.

So my only option seems to buy the 2011 / which comes pre installed with Lion.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Just to confirm the target mode install workaround wont work on the 2012 mini- only on the 2011 and previous.

I read that many users in the past were able to get Snow Leopard installed by using the following work around:

1. Find 2008 MBP / equivalent to host installation
2. Boot mini in target mode
3. Launch Lion installer and install on drive
4. Reboot holding option, selecting mini target mode drive to boot from
5. Install updates to get to 10.7.5+
6. Shutdown / Eject target mode mini
7. Turn on mini booting from fresh install

The Kernel in 10.7 is not optimised for Ivy Bridge AFAIK, if this is the case 10.7 can't be installed on your 2012 Mac.
!0.7.4 or 10.7.5 might work but you need to update it to that before you could boot from it.

But, as the other poster said, WHY, ML is plenty better than Lion.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
JustPerry - see my post above for "the why"

Ah, Ok, missed that when I was writing a reply and was busy with something else.

Now, as I said in my last post, I think you might get lucky but you need to update the install before thinking about booting from it, the best way of course is if you had a 10.7.5 disk but even without it should be possible if you have another mac which can run 10.7, if you would do a 10.7 install on an external from a compatible system, then boot into the external from the compatible Mac and update it might work, although not guaranteed.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Yes. Avid fibre manager (a big unity video server) is End Of Life and not supported in 10.8! That is the whole reason for this pain.
Data is forever (hopefully), but software and hardware are temporary!

Relying on obsolete software is never a good idea, particularly if it is mission critical. You may be able to get a Lion-vintage Mac and run the software now, but relying on second-hand or ageing equipment is also far from ideal.

It might not be the best time, but the whole thing is screaming "Find another solution".

On another note, Avid seem to be shooting themselves in the foot as a commercial enterprise, so I wouldn't want to rely on them even if they were supporting it.

Djfremen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Agreed Ben. Originally we were looking at Avid Isis but the way that've been refusing to support their older products we're ditching them for hardware.

Companies like Facilis With their Terrablock unit are interesting to me.

In the meantime, I'm attempting VMware Lion from the restored ML mini to see if I can launch the unity partitions.

Djfremen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Just confirmed- no go on the 2012 mini with 10.7.5.

All the way updated from clean install in target mode and then updated to 10.7.5 and once out of target, the system didn't boot. Just didn't detect the OS and shut down.

I then went back into target mode (hosted by a MBP) then took Paficist and extracted an OS update for a 2011 MBP.

Went to S/L/E and copied all the kext files. Kext Wizard hung so I aborted but I was on the right track.

The issue is likely with AppleCPU management and Lion's Mach_Kernel.

Needless to say, I overwrote my image of Lion with ML and now am going to try the VMWare option. We'll see how that goes...

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado

We were using an external thunderbolt chassis with an ATTO fibre card to connect the server.

Can you run Avid in a VM? Maybe you can reload the mini with ML and run Lion in a VM using Parallels or VWare.

Djfremen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Oy!

This is so frustrating. The software installs fine on my VM 10.7.5 and now the VM OS doesn't see my ATTO Card! See screenshots with side by side -- ML VS L --

How do I work with Thunderbolt in VM?!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-05 at 8.58.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-05 at 8.58.39 PM.png
    766.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Screen Shot 2013-04-05 at 8.58.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-05 at 8.58.21 PM.png
    716.6 KB · Views: 91

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
What is that Atto card doing? Making a super-fast external drive, or more?
If it is just a drive, than VM can use any drive as shared network volume.

Djfremen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Yeah- it's 24TB of shared storage that works with project sharing with Avid Media Composer. Ill never buy another Avid hardware device again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.