Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

veryevilash

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I'm in the market for my first mac and was wondering what extras I should get with the purchase. I'm reading about a 1TB Fusion drive and upgrading the processor. Is that pretty much a given on what should be upgraded? Totally new to this. Thanks.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
I'm in the market for my first mac and was wondering what extras I should get with the purchase. I'm reading about a 1TB Fusion drive and upgrading the processor. Is that pretty much a given on what should be upgraded? Totally new to this. Thanks.

What are you planning on using it for?

That processor upgrade might not be necessary. The Fusion Drive is definitely a good upgrade.

The Fusion Drive should really come as standard with all iMacs...seriously...there's nothing else really going for the new iMacs...at least when you consider the MBP for a Retina display. New iMac simply got a thinner design which nobody actually needs/cares about.

Sorry, had to rant a bit.

MojoRisinSD

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
My setup is going to be the top 27" with upgraded graphics (680MX). Maybe the Fusion drive, but I think that will be able to be added in the future, so maybe not necessary right away.

The Fusion Drive should really come as standard with all iMacs...seriously...there's nothing else really going for the new iMacs...at least when you consider the MBP for a Retina display. New iMac simply got a thinner design which nobody actually needs/cares about.

A lot of people seem to be ignoring the display on the new iMac, that to me is the biggest upgrade, the top graphics option is right there with it too!

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
What are you planning on using it for?

That processor upgrade might not be necessary. The Fusion Drive is definitely a good upgrade.

What? A 680MX is "nothing really going for it"?

The retina screen on the rMBP is not the be all and end all. The 27" panel on the iMac is outstanding.

I "considered" the rMBP, but it is expensive, hot, slow, noisy and with a smaller physical screen (albeit retina) crippled by a weak GPU and a lack of an ethernet port.

The rMBP really doesn't have that much going for it! The suggested solution to this to "make it equal" to the iMac is to purchase a 27" Thunderbolt Display for an extra grand.

Not everyone was wowed by Apple's new baby. Give me a large screen, virtual silence and a decent GPU any day.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
What? A 680MX is "nothing really going for it"?

The 680MX is only available with the maxed out 27".

It doesn't come as standard with the 21.5" base model, just like the Fusion Drive doesn't come as standard with the base model.

My point still stands that there's nothing/little new going for the new iMacs...

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
The 680MX is only available with the maxed out 27".

It doesn't come as standard with the 21.5" base model, just like the Fusion Drive doesn't come as standard with the base model.

My point still stands that there's nothing/little new going for the new iMacs...

Sorry, that's a complete non-sequitur.

Your blanket statement does not mesh with reality.

Your complaint was that the iMac has "nothing really going for it" because the rMBP has a retina screen, and you think that some people whining like children on a forum means no one appreciates the slim design on the new models.

Not everyone wants a retina screen. I was *over the moon* that the new iMacs do not have one (hello cost, hello struggling GPU), and your handwaving dismissal of the iMac, even in the face of the options it has is just silly.

From my perspective it is the rMBP that "doesn't really have anything going for it" since it is a jack of all trades, master of none with far too many compromises.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.