Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zaranoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC560LL/A/refurbished-mac-pro-28ghz-quad-core-intel-xeon

Or just get this 2010 model refurbished. $1,819 is a damn good deal. I'm getting one next month if they're still in stock.

Holy cow! I just visited the US apple store and almost fell off my seat. I live in Sweden and in our apple store the prices are 30% higher! Why is that? I will definitely not buy apple here in Sweden, but when I visit the US I will stock up.

And the refurbished ones compared to Swedish prices seem free.

This is just insane, I did not know that prices could differ this much.

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Holy cow! I just visited the US apple store and almost fell off my seat. I live in Sweden and in our apple store the prices are 30% higher! Why is that? I will definitely not buy apple here in Sweden, but when I visit the US I will stock up.

Dont forget americans dont add sales tax and have only one year of warranty - so you should count these factors in (maybe get AppleCare on top of it).

But yes, its dirt cheap compared to Europe even after that.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008

Generally the EU countries have all the import duties already included in the price. And like the post above said, Americans must add their sales taxes to the prices you see in stores.

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
I have a Mac Pro 1,1 upgraded to 2 x x5355s (2.66ghz) 7gb ram and I swap between a PC4850 and a mac 3850 (until I can afford a 6870) and I game alot on my macpro, probbaly 5 hours a day at the moment (had some time off work!)

It handles everything I throw at it through my 27" monitor. With a better graphics card I'm sure it would be much much faster.

I wouldnt buy a brand new mac pro for gaming, but a second hand one for under £1000 will be fine - try looking for an 09 nehelm model, they are starting to get cheaper.

I do lots of media work on my mac - video, photo and music - but it does game pretty well.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
If you buy a US-spec Mac Pro and take it over to Sweden, you may get hit by customs and duty taxes as well. So, it may not necessary be cheaper to go that route. VAT and import costs are big reason why Europeans pay more than we do.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
I use a Mac Pro for gaming and work (electron microscopy simulations) so its power has come in handy but I would not recommend one solely for gaming. The current Mac Pros are a joke even compared to other workstations.

Even the price of a used Mac Pro could buy a decent gaming rig. A 3.0 Ghz or better i5 or i7 will be more than enough for gaming as far as I can see as long as you get a worthy GPU.

I also would not recommend a hackintosh either, no point in putting it on if your playing games most of the time.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
If you want to game on a mac pro, you can SLI in windows only but you will need an external PSU if you want a decent GPUs. But like many already have said, shelling out the money for a Mac Pro just for gaming in bootcamp or even OSX is really pointless.

If you're handy and want real performance, you can always buy the PC parts and then stuff them in a G5/Mac Pro case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.