Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I am trying to prepare for my move from an SSD setup to using an Accelsior card for boot. Hence I need to figure out how to move my OSX boot drive to the Accelsior, as well as the Recovery partition.

Can I use CCC for that, and how do I make sure it picks up the Recovery partition as well?

And for the Bootcamp partition I have on an HDD in my Mac Pro, how do I migrate that one to the SSD (now freed of my OSX partitions)? I read about WinClone...

After I have moved OSX from the SSD to the Accelsior, and the Bootcamp from the HDD to the SSD, how will the Boot Manager act? Is that all taken care of by the WinClone and the CCC applications?

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Might be easier to do a clean OS X install on the Accelsior and then migrate your user profile from the SSD with the Migration Assistant utility. That's what I did with mine and it's working great. Be sure to install the Accelsior driver from OWC though, to avoid corruption issues stemming from the way the card powers down at restart/shutdown.

----------

For Bootcamp I think you have to do some hacks to get the Accelsior working, unfortunately. The Mac sees the Accelsior as an "external" drive and Bootcamp doesn't work for externals (normally, at least).

I just transferred my Windows install to my old SSD and used that as a dedicated Bootcamp volume.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
True it may be easier to just migrate, but I am planning on a major re-install when 10.9 comes out, and don't want to have to do it twice this year. I think a CCC clone to the Accelsior will work though.

About Bootcamp; I was planning on putting it on my "old" SSD, and not the Accelsior card. I also read it didn't work, and that's OK. The Accelsior will be for OSX only.

When you transferred the Bootcamp/Windows, what tool did you use?

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
CCC will handle your OS X system just fine, and it will (optionally) clone the Recovery Partition as well.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
F... me this is fast!

I just installed the Accelsior 960GB card, and CCCed my OSX partition onto it. It went like a breeze from my C300 SSD to the Accelsior, and it is booting fine now. Had no problems:)

Only issue arose when I then WinCloned my BootCamp partition, and tried restoring it on the "old" C300 SSD. That didn't work at all, and suddenly it was an issue that the Accelsior does not show up in the boot menu. However, I originally installed 10.8 from a USB stick, and using it, I could set the boot drive to be the Accelsior card. Guess that is the solution to that problem.

Still trying to restore my BootCamp, but OSX runs like a champ.

Tested the Accelsior out, and reaching read and write speeds of 700MB/s in AJA is no problem.

Baunkjaer

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
F... me this is fast!

I just installed the Accelsior 960GB card, and CCCed my OSX partition onto it. It went like a breeze from my C300 SSD to the Accelsior, and it is booting fine now. Had no problems:)

Only issue arose when I then WinCloned my BootCamp partition, and tried restoring it on the "old" C300 SSD. That didn't work at all, and suddenly it was an issue that the Accelsior does not show up in the boot menu. However, I originally installed 10.8 from a USB stick, and using it, I could set the boot drive to be the Accelsior card. Guess that is the solution to that problem.

Still trying to restore my BootCamp, but OSX runs like a champ.

Tested the Accelsior out, and reaching read and write speeds of 700MB/s in AJA is no problem.
Sounds awesome. You make me want one of these drives.
Any heat issues with the 680? I Just took a look inside my MP, and there doesn´t seem to be much place for it in slot 2, with the 4870 installed in slot 1...

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Yehr, I did that too. I moved the SSD to Bay1, and initiated the BootCamp installation to get a working BCD. I then restored my WinClone of the original BootCamp, and that went swimmingly as well.

In OSX I use BootChamp, and it recognised the Windows 7 installation, and I booted into Windows. Here most things worked (I had to activate again (new drive)), but when I wanted to get back to OSX the BootManager in Windows did not see the Accelsior installation of OSX... It sees the Windows boot partition, as well as two OSX bootable partitions, but not the main one on the Accelsior card...

Anyone any suggestions?

----------

Any heat issues with the 680? I Just took a look inside my MP, and there doesn´t seem to be much place for it in slot 2, with the 4870 installed in slot 1...

You won't want to run both graphics cards unless you have external power. There are "only" two 6-pin PCIe power leads in the MP, and those are both used by the GTX card. As a matter of fact I only found a few GTX680 cards that only requires 2x6-pin power. Most require at least one 8-pin lead.

Baunkjaer

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yehr, I did that too. I moved the SSD to Bay1, and initiated the BootCamp installation to get a working BCD. I then restored my WinClone of the original BootCamp, and that went swimmingly as well.

In OSX I use BootChamp, and it recognised the Windows 7 installation, and I booted into Windows. Here most things worked (I had to activate again (new drive)), but when I wanted to get back to OSX the BootManager in Windows did not see the Accelsior installation of OSX... It sees the Windows boot partition, as well as two OSX bootable partitions, but not the main one on the Accelsior card...

Anyone any suggestions?

----------

You won't want to run both graphics cards unless you have external power. There are "only" two 6-pin PCIe power leads in the MP, and those are both used by the GTX card. As a matter of fact I only found a few GTX680 cards that only requires 2x6-pin power. Most require at least one 8-pin lead.
Well, my 4870 will be replaced by a MSI GTX 670.
Please confirm the SSD doesn´t get hot, due to VGA in slot 1.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I have it the other way around; the Accelsior card in Slot 1, and the graphics card in Slot 2. It ran all night, with no problems - OK I live in Greenland, and it is winter, but no overheating issues:) Sure that means you can't have anything in Slot 3, and if it is one of the very "fat" graphics cards, then it even blocks slot 4.

Baunkjaer

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have it the other way around; the Accelsior card in Slot 1, and the graphics card in Slot 2. It ran all night, with no problems - OK I live in Greenland, and it is winter, but no overheating issues:) Sure that means you can't have anything in Slot 3, and if it is one of the very "fat" graphics cards, then it even blocks slot 4.
Seems like the way to go. I´ve no need for slot 3 and 4.

djkinkle

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2013
Might be easier to do a clean OS X install on the Accelsior and then migrate your user profile from the SSD with the Migration Assistant utility. That's what I did with mine and it's working great. Be sure to install the Accelsior driver from OWC though, to avoid corruption issues stemming from the way the card powers down at restart/shutdown.

I just bought the 480GB Accelsior, performed a clean install of Snow Leopard. This OS matches the OS on my 1TB HDD. I've been reading all over the place about having to use terminal to point at the correct folders. I am still unclear.

I would like to migrate my user data from the old HDD to the SSD.
Since both can be ran as boot disks do I need to remove the OS on the HDD to make it behave as a Companion/Slave Drive to the SSD?

If I understand correctly, I have to reinstall all the applications I want on the SSD.

I do not have CCC. This sounds like it might be a wise choice. I may also be better off purchasing a second HDD so I can store backups.

I'm stuck with a computer that should be able to do what I want it to, I just don't know how to get it there.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Starting to move applications and folders is unwise! I have seen many references to how to do it, but some programs just cannot be moved. The easiest to do is in your current situation is restore from Time Machine (if you have it).

Of course if you choose to start over again, buy CCC, or use the 30-trial. It is fully functional and gave me enough confidence in the product to buy it subsequently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.