Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
socal
i have been all over the internet and cannot find how to connect the xbox 360 with the latest version of airport extreme.

i found several with an older version but the steps they show to use aren't the same....

can someone please give me step by step (the for dummies version) instructions of getting the xbox and airport extreme to play nice!

thanx!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I use an XBox 360 with a Time Capsule, which is essentially an Airport Extreme with a hard drive inside, and it required to configuration at all. Just connect the XBox and the Airport Extreme will open the ports it needs automatically.

Are you having some trouble with this?

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I own a Xbox 360 and an AirPort Extreme, and didn't have any issues at all either. It just worked straight out of the box, open nat and everything.

I read older posts about people having issues when the Xbox 360 was new, but I guess they were resolved with updates from apple or Microsoft, since I never had them.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
socal
UGH! well that just frustrates me even more now!!! everything else runs perfectly (probable even a bit snappier than with the link sys we were using) and set us couldn't have been easier... but hubby gets the error message on the xbox about changing the NAT (or something like that....)

:mad:

not sure what to do now? his is the MW3 version.... so not old....

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
UGH! well that just frustrates me even more now!!! everything else runs perfectly (probable even a bit snappier than with the link sys we were using) and set us couldn't have been easier... but hubby gets the error message on the xbox about changing the NAT (or something like that....)

:mad:

not sure what to do now? his is the MW3 version.... so not old....

I wonder if there is something else going on with your setup.

Tell us exactly how you connect. Are you wired directly from the cable/DSL modem to the AE? Then from the AE to XBox? Any other hubs or anything in between?

Check to make sure your cable/DSL modem is JUST a modem and not one of the combo modem/router things.

If all else fails, you can put the XBox in the DMZ with the AE.

Do this:

1. Follow this guide to get the MAC address for your XBox and write it down.

2. Go to this screen in Airport Utility and click the plus.

BIjI0.png

3. You will get this window. Type Xbox DMZ in the Description field. Then type the MAC address into the correct field exactly like you wrote it down from the Xbox. Make sure to include the colons in between and everything. In the IPv4 filed enter 10.0.1.253. Now click save.

5RmBi.png

4. Now click Network Options at the bottom of the window. That will bring up the below window. Check on both the boxes like in my grab and the IP 10.0.1.253 should appear as the default host. Click save. Then click update at the bottom right. The router will restart with the new settings.

I2mb9.png

After the router restarts it should issue IP 10.0.1.253 to the Xbox and will let the Xbox bypass the routing of the Airport Extreme and clear the NAT errors. If you go back to the Xbox settings from the first step you should see that the Xbox now has the IP 10.0.1.253 assigned to it.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
socal

Tell us exactly how you connect. Are you wired directly from the cable/DSL modem to the AE? Then from the AE to XBox? Any other hubs or anything in between?

Check to make sure your cable/DSL modem is JUST a modem and not one of the combo modem/router things.

we are wired directly from the modem to the AE. the xbox is connected wirelessly. no other hubs.

i believe that the modem is one of their modem type but it is set to bridge.

i just put in the configurations you said and he still has the Nat: moderate notice on the xbox

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
we are wired directly from the modem to the AE. the xbox is connected wirelessly. no other hubs.

i believe that the modem is one of their modem type but it is set to bridge.

i just put in the configurations you said and he still has the Nat: moderate notice on the xbox

Confirm after those settings the XBox now shows it is using IP 10.0.1.253 from the network screen in the XBox itself? If it is, with this config, the Xbox is in the DMZ and the AE is not the problem.

If the modem is also a router like you mentioned, are you sure it is in bridge mode? That is the only other thing I can thing of.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
socal
Confirm after those settings the XBox now shows it is using IP 10.0.1.253 from the network screen in the XBox itself? If it is, with this config, the Xbox is in the DMZ and the AE is not the problem.

If the modem is also a router like you mentioned, are you sure it is in bridge mode? That is the only other thing I can thing of.

positive it is in bridge mode.... i checked

and the xbox does show the correct DMZ.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Hmmmm.... I'm going to quote myself below from another thread because I was having some issues for a while with my AEBS and Xbox as well. Check it out and see if applies to your situation as well.

For a while, my Xbox could not download system updates no matter what I did with network, firewall, and Ethernet settings. Online gameplay worked just fine under my "standard" everyday network configuration; but not system updates.

In order to get the Xbox to to download the system updates, I would have to plug it into the cable modem directly and bypass the whole network and router. That was a pain because all my other computers and devices were offline during the update download.

The baffling thing was that when I first got the Xbox, and for a good while thereafter, system updates worked and then one day stopped. Now I don't turn the Xbox on all the time, so I don't know what may have changed between the time it last worked and when it stopped.

Once I realized that this was a problem, Apple pushed out the newer AirPort Utility and I installed it. Then I had no firewall logging to see what was happening.

Well, today, I finally figured it all out. Since Peace showed me I could install the older AirPort Utility; I got logging back. I turned the Xbox on today and saw a system update was available. I opened up the AirPort Utility (5.6), got to the logging section and pressed Update on the Xbox and this is what I found:

Jun 23 09:59:39 Severity:5 Associated with station Xbox MAC Address
Jun 23 09:59:39 Severity:1 WPA handshake failed with STA Xbox MAC Address likely due to bad password from client
Jun 23 09:59:39 Severity:5 Deauthenticating with station Xbox MAC Address (reserved 2).
As it turns out, regardless of the Xbox being hooked up via Ethernet, and it's configuration settings defaulted to use Ethernet over WiFi, when a system update comes out, the Xbox tries to download it via WiFi, ignoring the existing Ethernet connection.

I had an old WiFi password stored in the Xbox from a long time ago and never updated it when I changed my WiFi password. I didn't do that because the Xbox was now using Ethernet and wasn't supposed to use WiFi. I removed the WiFi settings altogether from the Xbox and restarted it, tried the system update and lo and behold, it worked on the Ethernet without me having to plug it into the cable modem directly.

All this time I was thinking that something had changed and it was either Apple's or Microsoft's fault that my AEBS and Xbox wouldn't talk to each other nicely. I was even considering buying a new router too.

This story may be insignificant in importance, but it does highlight the need to have some form of firewall logging on any and all routers - Apple are you listening?

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
socal
grrrrr.... i'm about ready to pack up the new iMacs and airport extreme and take them all back to apple... we didn't have these problems with our HP notebooks and crummy link sys router....

macnoober

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2010
grrrrr.... i'm about ready to pack up the new iMacs and airport extreme and take them all back to apple... we didn't have these problems with our HP notebooks and crummy link sys router....

This is the best I could do, hope it helps:
Here's a simple guide to resolving the strict/moderate NAT problem for your Apple routers and Xbox Live:

If you want to try the DEFAULT HOST option(this is referred to as putting your Xbox in the DMZ; it puts the Xbox IN FRONT of the router, your internet connection bypasses the router and goes straight to the Xbox). This is the easiest/fastest method:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcAtB5NUqKs

If you want to try NAT PORT MAPPING PROTOCOL- https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3414
here's the ports you'll need:
Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)

If you're using the Xbox wireless adapter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz2-MhxBVg

macnoober

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2010

If all else fails, you can put the XBox in the DMZ with the AE.

Do this:

1. Follow this guide to get the MAC address for your XBox and write it down.

2. Go to this screen in Airport Utility and click the plus.

BIjI0.png

3. You will get this window. Type Xbox DMZ in the Description field. Then type the MAC address into the correct field exactly like you wrote it down from the Xbox. Make sure to include the colons in between and everything. In the IPv4 filed enter 10.0.1.253. Now click save.

5RmBi.png

4. Now click Network Options at the bottom of the window. That will bring up the below window. Check on both the boxes like in my grab and the IP 10.0.1.253 should appear as the default host. Click save. Then click update at the bottom right. The router will restart with the new settings.

I2mb9.png

After the router restarts it should issue IP 10.0.1.253 to the Xbox and will let the Xbox bypass the routing of the Airport Extreme and clear the NAT errors. If you go back to the Xbox settings from the first step you should see that the Xbox now has the IP 10.0.1.253 assigned to it.

Why do you have to use the networks tab/DHCP reservations and all that? When I did it the way you described, mine actually went back to moderate from open. All I did was check the default host option, and manually configure the 360 network settings w/ the 10.0.1.253 ip address. Seems to be working fine. Is the set up you're showing supposed to be better/optimal?

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Why do you have to use the networks tab/DHCP reservations and all that? When I did it the way you described, mine actually went back to moderate from open. All I did was check the default host option, and manually configure the 360 network settings w/ the 10.0.1.253 ip address. Seems to be working fine. Is the set up you're showing supposed to be better/optimal?

Either way will have the exact same result... that is having the XBox in the DMZ. DHCP reservations just assigns the IP address to the XBox without having to mess with the Xbox's network settings. I just find it easier to explain. Either way is fine.

macnoober

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2010
Either way will have the exact same result... that is having the XBox in the DMZ. DHCP reservations just assigns the IP address to the XBox without having to mess with the Xbox's network settings. I just find it easier to explain. Either way is fine.

Oh, I gotcha. Thanks for the quick response!

Kellahlaleen

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
Having trouble with xbox

Hi I just got a new airport extreme yesterday. Everything in my house works perfectly except for the xbox. For some reason, it can not find the signal anywhere, event though it is in perfect range. Any reply would be appreciated.

qamaro

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Hi I just got a new airport extreme yesterday. Everything in my house works perfectly except for the xbox. For some reason, it can not find the signal anywhere, event though it is in perfect range. Any reply would be appreciated.

Are you connecting via wifi? If so I'd make sure to check all your settings and that the xbox 360 wifi adapter supports everything you are using. I am connected wired but, I know that the AE should work out of the box without any special configurations for the xbox360. I can't speak for your provider though, the only way to check if its the AE is to connect the xbox360 to your modem and see if it is connected then. Outside of that here are the setting to check.

Example:

SSID (Network Name): Is enabled to announce (make sure under wireless option that the "CREATE HIDDEN NETWORK" is not checked)

Router Mode: DHCP and NAT

Network Speed: A,B,G or N

Radio Mode: 5GHz ONLY, 2.4GHz ONLY, or both

Wireless Security: WPA2 Personal (etc.)

headwinds

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2009
toronto
I found this thread helpful - more for sympathy's sake - although it didn't quite solve my problem but I'll add that I also purchased an airport extreme and a airport express. I really wanted to use the Extreme as my main base station. Unfortunately, I'll have to return it, but I'm keeping the Express.

I also wanted to connect the xbox to the network via the ethernet port. Like many of you, I also want an easy installation process and didn't really want to mess about with configuring DCHP, MAC, NAT or any other abbreviated complexity although I did anyway and did end up learning a lot. But ideally I should just be able to plug it in and it should just work automatically :)

My findings:

All the ethernet ports on airport extreme failed to connect to the xbox but the one on the airport express just worked! No idea why - so weird - but perhaps you could try the Express model instead. You save $100 but do lose the extra ethernet ports but I was told Express and Extreme actually have similar signal strength. Actually, the mac guy who sold me the units stated that they had identical signal strength but I can't confirm that anywhere.

The Mac guy also pointed out the big advantage of the Extreme is when you want to get into complicated networking with several Expresses and wish to use one as a bridge to extend the signal. Supposedly you can't do that 3 Express units but require 1 Extreme and 2 Express. But again it all depends on where your Xbox is placed.

My Xbox is near my DSL line so it has to connect to the base station that creates the network. I was forced to use the Express as a base since it was able to create the network and connect the Xbox while the Extreme could also create the network but could not connect to the Xbox so it went back to the store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.