Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason Edwards

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
Siri works great for me. Vary rarely does Siri not get what I say right. And I use it all of the time. Sending text, making appt, phone calls and reminders. I love it. Cant wait until she matures some more.

I have a Nexus 4 and while Google Now is pretty neat, it is far from perfect. And it hardly ever just gives me the info I want. I usually have to activate Google Now to get the info. In that case I might as well just use any app that gives me the info Google Now does. And I constantly swipe info away and it just comes right back. So freaking annoying.

I think both Siri and Google Now have a way to go but I am sure they both will get very good at what they are suppose to do.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Ha Ha! I have a mild Philadelphia accent and SIRI struggles with that.

Philadelphians have an accent? I'm from Philly with no accent.
On topic: hasn't worked well for me. I jailbroke and use Google Now.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Im not even american and siri gets me all the time. Yall must have some pretty thick accents lol

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
If you have nothing to compare it to, then I suppose siri is fantastic. If you want to use it for more than scheduling an appointment and a few simple facts, then it's quite useless and behind google.

I haven't used Google Now, but if it's anything like the Google app, then it's not that good. What are the differences?

By the way, Siri's dictation service is really good. Spot on for the most part.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
I haven't used Google Now, but if it's anything like the Google app, then it's not that good. What are the differences?

By the way, Siri's dictation service is really good. Spot on for the most part.

Its in the Google Search app if you have that, "Now" is not actually on the iPhone yet. Press the mike icon down at bottom. It does not open apps or create reminders and such like SIRI does but works great for searching and asking stuff like weather and sports etc. And it is pretty fast and accurate. BTW SIRI gets more accurate the more you use it unless you turn it off and on in the settings. Then it removes what it learned from you. So leave it on and it gets better and better.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Google Now and Siri and two very different things at this point in time. Even though there is some overlap, it's rather silly to compare them. Google Now is mostly about providing the user with data, via cards or voice queries. Siri more focused on interacting with your device. I use Siri constantly for reminders, appointments, timers, alarms etc.
Siri keeps me organized, Google now keeps me informed.
For the record as an American with very little accent, Apples dictation is a hair better. However I so find that Apple struggles if I'm not using the built on iPhone mic. For example it can't understand me at all through my cars Bluetooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.