Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuser0123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
I downloaded a Windows 7 ISO file hoping i could use it to install windows to a partition via bootcamp. However, I found out that bootcamp wants me to put in a windows install disk and does not give an option to create an install disk etc. (I have a MacBook Pro with an optical drive, along with an older version of bootcamp, so making an install disk shouldn't usually be necessary). So, I looked around the forums to find a way to burn the ISO file to a dvd and make it bootable, but everything i have tried hasn't worked. I mounted the ISO to the desktop and then burned the contents of the ISO to a dvd, then tried to install via the disk. It comes up saying that there is no bootable disk available and I should put in a install disk to continue. Can anyone help me make my install disk correctly? I have a MacBook Pro (Mid 2010), running Snow Leopard

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I downloaded a Windows 7 ISO file hoping i could use it to install windows to a partition via bootcamp. However, I found out that bootcamp wants me to put in a windows install disk and does not give an option to create an install disk etc. (I have a MacBook Pro with an optical drive, along with an older version of bootcamp, so making an install disk shouldn't usually be necessary). So, I looked around the forums to find a way to burn the ISO file to a dvd and make it bootable, but everything i have tried hasn't worked. I mounted the ISO to the desktop and then burned the contents of the ISO to a dvd, then tried to install via the disk. It comes up saying that there is no bootable disk available and I should put in a install disk to continue. Can anyone help me make my install disk correctly? I have a MacBook Pro (Mid 2010), running Snow Leopard

You want to just drag the ISO file to Disk Utility and then click Burn. Don't open it or anything like that.

But really, you should go buy a legit copy of Windows. :rolleyes:

Cidtek

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012

Your ISO is probably just fine. It's the non bootable DVD thats the problem as Windows install disks have to be bootable. Here is a link to a site that explains how to use the official MS iso utility to create a bootable Win 7 USB stick or DVD.

http://www.guidingtech.com/2589/bootable-usb-flash-drive-iso-windows-7/

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Just open the ISO in Disk Utility and right click on it once it's in the sidebar and click something to the effect of "Burn ISO" and then if you've got a blank DVD in the drive, it'll start burning, or else it will prompt you to insert disc.

Hope this helps. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.