Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MitzEclipse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Hi, I'm wondering if Skype, Viber, Whatsapp etc will work if there is no contract with a mobile service provider (eg if I'm on Vodafone or 02 and I cancel the contract or put the contract on hold) and use Wifi to connect to the internet for these apps on my iphone. In theory it should work because whatsapp etc work on airplane mode but I wanted to double check... i'm travelling for a month and thinking of putting a vacation hold on my mobile contracts. Please let me know thanks!

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
In theory it should work because whatsapp etc work on airplane mode but I wanted to double check... i'm travelling for a month and thinking of putting a vacation hold on my mobile contracts. Please let me know thanks!

Well, if you change the SIM card, it asks you to re-activate but if you just leave it on airplane mode and use Wi-Fi, it should just work fine.

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Hi,
This is a member of the Viber R&D Team.
Viber can work without a sim card, you just need an active phone number for the registration process (you can use your home number for that). If you already have Viber, taking your sim card out won't deactivate it, Viber will continue functioning properly. :)

We're here to offer our help! Please feel free to let us know your thoughts, questions and comments, we'd be happy to assist.
Thanks,
Viber

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Those kind of apps work through the Internet, and as long as you are able to get to the Internet, method/carrier unimportant, then YES.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.