Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:16 PM   #1
araje
macrumors regular

Apple unlocked Iphone5 and LTE on AT&T prepaid

Hi, I have been reading off and on about the non availability of LTE on AT&T prepaid network. Even the store representative wasn't able to confirm if LTE will work even though the phone supports it. His point was the prepaid network might not allow me to use the LTE network.

Can anyone confirm this. I was planning to use AT&T without a contract but was hoping that I get the LTE. Please let me know.
araje is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:21 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

No LTE with prepaid on AT&T.
Just 3G and hspa+.
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:00 PM   #3
Jtludwig
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
Hi, I have been reading off and on about the non availability of LTE on AT&T prepaid network. Even the store representative wasn't able to confirm if LTE will work even though the phone supports it. His point was the prepaid network might not allow me to use the LTE network.

Can anyone confirm this. I was planning to use AT&T without a contract but was hoping that I get the LTE. Please let me know.
I can confirm that you WILL not have LTE on a prepaid plan.
Jtludwig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:07 PM   #4
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502

So far it appears that none of the carriers will be allowing prepaid users to access their LTE networks.
Mr Hill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:39 PM   #5
araje
macrumors regular

I went to the AT&T store today.
I am told that for iPhone I won't even get a normal data connection for prepaid. I have to be on postpaid so that LTE can be accessed.
I guess if I connect my wife's S3 I might see H for prepaid but haven't tried it.

Looks like I might have to go for the month over month postpaid plan starting at 85$ unlimited with 1gb LTE access.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:41 PM   #6
Marrakas
macrumors 6502

I wish everyone wouldn't go for their LTE so they would have to lower the prices. $80+ a month is robbery. Goes for Sprint and Verizon as well.
Marrakas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:28 AM   #7
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrakas View Post
I wish everyone wouldn't go for their LTE so they would have to lower the prices. $80+ a month is robbery. Goes for Sprint and Verizon as well.
I'm with you Marrakas, I walked in to look at a Droid Razr Maxx at Best Buy which which was zero down with a two year contract.

The sales lady said the cheapest plan on Verizon was $90 a month. I walked right back out.
Breaking Good is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:17 PM   #8
Coleman2010
macrumors 65832

Quote:

I was told sometime next year AT&T will add LTE phones to their prepaid plans and will enable LTE on prepaid. They didn't give a date. They said it will happen eventually.
Quote:
I went to the AT&T store today.
I am told that for iPhone I won't even get a normal data connection for prepaid. I have to be on postpaid so that LTE can be accessed.
I guess if I connect my wife's S3 I might see H for prepaid but haven't tried it.
That is not true. I have an iPhone 5 using an unlimited data prepaid SIM. I had to use http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/ to change the iPhone 5's APN to access the prepaid data network. I get the 4G logo but it runs at 3G speeds.
Coleman2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:41 PM   #9
araje
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman2010 View Post
I had to use http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/ to change the iPhone 5's APN to access the prepaid data network. I get the 4G logo but it runs at 3G speeds.
Can you elaborate on this part ? I can just go and change the APN settings in iphone5 under network settings. Why would we need an external site to do
that.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone