Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:55 AM   #1
slapple
macrumors 6502

Why does Ctrl+Alt+Backspace work in Windows?

I have Windows 7 installed in Boot Camp on my 2011 MacBook Pro, and I have it configured to require a Ctrl+Alt+Del to login.

There's no "Del" key on the MacBook Pro. There is a "Delete" key, but that's equivalent to "Backspace" in Windows. So I have to press Fn+Delete on the MacBook Pro in order to simulate the Windows "Del" key.

Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Fn+Delete works on the Windows login screen, but I noticed that Ctrl+Alt+Delete works too. That means Windows is accepting Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, and it shouldn't accept that on the login screen.

Last edited by slapple; Dec 27, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
slapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Sergeant Pepper
macrumors member

Ctrl-Alt-(Macbook Pro Delete key) has always worked as Ctrl-Alt-Del for me, both on the login screen and in normal Windows 7 use. It's probably a part of Apple's Boot Camp drivers.

Late 2011 MacBook Pro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD + 750 GB HDD | Mac OS X 10.9 | Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
iPhone 5 | 32 GB | iOS 6.1.2 | Jailbroken | Verizon
Sergeant Pepper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:09 PM   #3
slapple
macrumors 6502

Yeah, I guess if the Boot Camp driver detects "Ctrl" and "Alt" pressed together and then the "Backspace" key comes in, it automatically converts it into a Ctrl+Alt+Del.
slapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac