Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keva161

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new computer after using my trusty 2010 MBP. It has served me well but as im using it as main computer, it's defiantly starting to show its age with the slow processor and 250GB HDD (I do have external drives which make this easier to manage).

I was going to o the hackint0sh route but as I would be using this machine mostly for work purposes, I would rather spend the extra cash and have something that's nice to look at :p

My main needs for the computer are:

- Web development (Coding and designing).
- Photoshop (Designing sites and also some photo manipulation).
- Media use (music, videos, very little gaming).
- Dual booting into Linux and maybe Windows for other development.

I like the thought of a large screen and the extra real estate to work with. So I think the 27inch monitor is best, so that narrows it down a bit.

What i'm not sure on however is wether to go for the i5 or i7 processor..

Nate392

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
It really depends on wether or not you're willing to spend the extra money.
If you are the i7 is by far the best choice, since not only is it faster, but it also supports multithreading, which the i5's do not. You'd also get a better GPU, to add that to the mix.
The value basically depends on whether or not you need multithreading (and an upped GPU) is up to you, really.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.