Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jct61765

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2009
I just bought an imac. I am trying to add the calculator to my dock. I cant figure out how. Please help.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Just locate the app in the Applications Folder
Drag it to the Dock and release

Boom! It should be there!
If you ever want to remove it, just drag it off the Dock!

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Chris97

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2009
Sounds like you may have inadvertently moved it in your efforts to dock it. To find it, click the Spotlight (little magnifying glass at the top right of the screen) and type in "calculator". If it's still on your computer, it'll show up.

mikealano

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
you guys all missed it... he wants it in the dock...i use it often too and i cant do it since the calc is a widget :confused:

Nov 28, 2010
located
you guys all missed it... he wants it in the dock...i use it often too and i cant do it since the calc is a widget :confused:

But what would be the advantage of having the widget in the Dock? Why not use Spotlight (CMD+SPACEBAR) or Alfred or Calculator (can be put in the Dock) or the Dashboard calculator widget to calculate?

Nov 28, 2010
located
He wants a calculator app on the dock and doesn't want to use a widget in dashboard.

I get that, but as far as I know, that is not possible (to have the actual calculator in the Dock and use it in the Dock), thus my recommendations of using Spotlight or Alfred of doing quick calculations, though one should know the order of operations.

michaelmac

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006

Not sure of this - on my Mac calculator is an app and can be found in the Applications folder. I just tested by navigating to the folder, finding the app and, as the other poster says, dragging and dropping on to the Dock where it now sits ready to go!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Its not in the applications folder. Only Widgets is.

You looked in the wrong applications folder.

In the sidebar in finder look for the name of your computer. Click on that and you will see the hard drive. Double click on that and then open the applications folder.

Reason I say this is because you're logged in under the administrator account so the applications will be located in the root rather than than the user directory.

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
I can't see how this is so hard ?

open applications and find the icon Calculator drag over to dock.

What is this widget thing ?

Screen%20Shot%202013-01-08%20at%206.35.33%20PM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Or just launch the Calculator app, and then right click on its icon in the Dock. Under Options, you'll find "Keep in Dock".

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
I really wish they would revitalize widgets. There are plenty of great widgets, but most don't get any updating. Maybe they could blend iOS into the Dashboard, because many of the stock iOS apps are nearly identical to the old widgets. I think the dash could handle many of the basic info based apps. Games would generally be a bit much for the Dash, or at least the current crop.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR

To be even more clear. Apple ships Macs with two different calculator apps.

1) A widget
2) An App located in the App folder

You want to drag the App to the dock.

/Jim

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
Drag the Calendar program that is in your Apps folder... to to the dock. It will still be in the Apps folder when you are done... plus it will be in the dock.

/Jim
krawcstella probably did read the thread, or at least the original post to come up with this question. I guess we will see a bight future for this poster (krawcstella).

I am trying to add the calculator to my dock

I just bought an imac. I am trying to add the calculator to my dock. I cant figure out how. Please help.

Yep, s/he missed the dot. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.