Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
No they haven't. It might be better for where you live but there are still lots of areas in the UK where they are still quite poor.

It was always fine where I live. And it is fine now where I checked (huge areas near the south coast that were low quality). Where I used to live, there were huge areas missing, a few weeks ago there was a thin, long strip from north to south missing (with my old home right in the middle), and now it is fine. At any rate, it looks like they are getting there.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
As long as Apple maps can't figure out the most common abbreviation or typos in search it is basically useless .. search for rd. instead of road still leads to an empty result.

But well .. Google Maps is back on iOS so there really is nothing to complain anymore. Just hide Apple Maps somewhere way deep and hope they learned their lesson and make iOS 7 rock.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
Nice to see that they are updating the maps.

But I wish you would be able to bookmark places so I don't have to keep looking for them!
Like in google maps.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I don't view Flyover and Street View as competing functions. Flyover, to me, is a novelty made for people who aren't necessarily using the app, at the time, for directions. Street View is for people who need directions and need to be able to see what their final destination looks like from their level.

If you don't see Street View as a valuable resource of directions, then you're blind.

Unlike Flyover, I can pinpoint where a building is going to be on eye-level. I'd love Flyover if I was flying over, but since I approach most things at street level I'm more keen on Streetview. Just seems to be functional and cool, rather than having no functionality at all.

Okay, folks, I know this kind of thing comes up from time to time, but let's try to be a little more civil about it. I'm delighted that you find Streetview useful. It's great that it's there for you. But, if when I've tried to use it I haven't found it terribly useful, whereas I have found Flyover to be useful, doesn't mean that I'm blind or not understanding the true coolness and functionality of Streetview. It just means that I like a different set of tools.

Personally, the ability to shift the view in a 3D sense gives me a much better feel for how an area around a destination looks and feels than the blurry, hard to distinguish, flat photos that make up Streetview every could. It has nothing to do with the question of "flying over" vs. being at "street view".

I'm not saying that Streetview has no functionality, or that anyone who can't see the usefulness of Flyover is blind. I'm saying that they offer different things, and my preference, from an overall functionality for me standpoint, is the Flyover in Apple maps.

Now, what could make things even better would be if the two technologies merged to the point where you could shift the flyover view all the way down to a street view perspective.

I wonder when Apple will fix the Maps icon, which shows directions for driving off an overpass...

Honestly, this criticism is old and, frankly, was pretty weak when it first came out. The map image shown in the icon is a simplified map that doesn't show on ramps, etc. In this kind of simplified map, when drawing a route on, it would be typical to show the route turn right (or left, in this case) onto the freeway.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
They need to find a way to crowd source these Mapping Data fixes.
Maybe :apple: needs to acquire Waze and do the Social GPS thing.
It should be effortless for the end users but the more you use Maps the better it should get.

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
They need to find a way to crowd source these Mapping Data fixes.
Maybe :apple: needs to acquire Waze and do the Social GPS thing.
It should be effortless for the end users but the more you use Maps the better it should get.

I think the problem that Apple then runs into is that it has to trust a user to provide accurate information. If a user enters an address wrong or a phone number incorrectly they will receive the same criticism of having inaccurate information.

They rely on Cities and Government data right now. That data seems to be the weak point right now. I've actually seen a lot of POI data being updated and additions lately in San Diego, where I live. A restaurant that opened just three or four weeks ago now shows up on the map when I zoom in to where my school is. Always improving is good and as a user we will be much better off with Apple working so hard to improve.

extradryny

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
But well .. Google Maps is back on iOS so there really is nothing to complain anymore.

Except you can't select a default mapping app, so everybody I know with iOS 6 still ends up in Apple Maps all the time, like it or not.

gaggenau

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
This is old News atleast parts of it. The area of the 3D View of Stockholm was expanded include the suburbs weeks ago. One funny thing is that apple missed the 120 meter high hotel Victoria tower in Kista outside Stockholm you can only see the shadow in the 3d view.
Last week the Swedish town Linköping got 3d view support. The company behind apples 3d view ( C3) has its roots in the that town.

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
My House is still in the middle of the road :mad:

keep telling me my current location is on the road while am in my room on my bed.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Flyover is pointless unless your Spider-Man. Bring back street view.

Have to disagree. I just realized iPad2 (which I rarely use since it's the wife/kids machine) supported 3D maps the night before last and... AWESOME! While I get that "StreetView" is more "realistic" since it's from the same POV as, well, street view, "Flyover" is way faster, more dynamic and gives you a great sense of the overall surroundings. I'm sold.

I guarantee in 5 years' time, Apple Maps will be the choice of the majority.

Although I'm probably wrong. Just wanted to say something ridiculous to have the merit of "I called it first!" :D

Yeah, well, call me nuts, but I have to agree with that statement.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
No they haven't. It might be better for where you live but there are still lots of areas in the UK where they are still quite poor.

Indeed. Even London's imagery is pretty bad when you compare it against what Google has.

Carvensno

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2016
Porterville and Visalia,CA? Why would they do flyovers there? There isn't anything there to see and are small towns. Smh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.