Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 23, 2007, 02:12 AM   #1
nlivo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ballarat, Australia
Can I restore (completely) without iTunes?

my ipod touch is stuffing up. Well, it isn't but I can't connect it to the computer. Whenever I connect it, it doesn't really say "Syncing" on the screen and iTunes freezes (im on a mac by the way). is there a way i can restore it without using iTunes?? Like maybe use disk utility? Thanks.
__________________
Steve Jobs took 6 months off to toke
nlivo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 05:32 PM   #2
EnTg888
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Try putting it into restore mode (hold the two buttons for a long time until the "connect to computer" icon shows up on the screen. iTunes shouldn't try to sync it, and will just let you restore, I think.
__________________
8gb Ipod Touch | Sony Vaio FE690 Windows XP
EnTg888 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 05:39 PM   #3
nlivo
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ballarat, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnTg888 View Post
Try putting it into restore mode (hold the two buttons for a long time until the "connect to computer" icon shows up on the screen. iTunes shouldn't try to sync it, and will just let you restore, I think.
Can that be done? I did it and it showed the apple logo and I kept holding but nothing came up.
__________________
Steve Jobs took 6 months off to toke
nlivo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 06:11 PM   #4
andybno1
macrumors 68040
 
andybno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Liverpool, UK
right.......

download the 1.1.1 official firmware, save it to a place you will remember.

if your touch isn't already in recovery mode as already instructed plug touch into pc/mac load itunes up and then hold down the lock/wake button and home key keep them held down eventually your touch will shut off, keep the buttons held down and when you see the apple logo let go of the lock/wake key ONLY leaving the home key pressed down and eventually you should get the itunes logo with pic of the usb wire.

iTunes should now say its detected an ipod in recovery mode click ok, now depending what system your using for windows hold the shift key down or for mac options key then press restore and point iTunes to the ipsw file and click open, iTunes should start restoring your touch to 1.1.1. When its done point the touch's safari to jailbreame.com, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on install AppSnapp and soon after safari will "crash" if you wait yout touch will start to auto jailbreak, if memory serves me once the install has complete reboot your touch and your jailbroken.

to upgrade to 1.1.2 first step, go to installer then scroll down to 1.1.1 tweaks and install oktoprep. Once installed plug ipod in to pc/mac and update to 1.1.2. When updated grab the 1.1.2 jailbreak program and extract to a folder. If you are running windows then run windows.bat if mac then the osx file, tick install ssh and click the jailbreak button. When this has finised doing its thing power off your touch then turn it back on, your touch will reboot when loaded up (this is normal) when its rebooted you will then have a jailbroken 1.1.2

Last edited by andybno1; Dec 4, 2007 at 06:53 AM.
andybno1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 08:11 PM   #5
nlivo
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ballarat, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybno1 View Post
right.......

download the 1.1.1 official firmware, save it to a place you will remember.

if your touch isn't already in recovery mode as already instructed plug touch into pc/mac load itunes up and then hold down the lock/wake button and home key keep them held down eventually your touch will shut off, keep the buttons held down and when you see the apple logo let go of the lock/wake key ONLY leaving the home key pressed down and eventually you should get the itunes logo with pic of the usb wire.

iTunes should now say its detected an ipod in recovery mode click ok, now depending what system your using for windows hold the shift key down or for mac options key then press restore and point iTunes to the ipsw file and click open, iTunes should start restoring your touch to 1.1.1. When its done point the touch's safari to jailbreame.com, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on install AppSnapp and soon after safari will "crash" if you wait yout touch will start to auto jailbreak, if memory serves me once the install has complete reboot your touch and your jailbroken.

to upgrade to 1.1.2 first step, go to installer then scroll down to tweaks 1.1.1 and install oktoprep. Once installed plug ipod in to pc/mac and update to 1.1.2. When updated grab the 1.1.2 jailbreak program and extract to a folder. If you are running windows then run windows.bat if mac then the osx file, tick install ssh and click the jailbreak button. When this has finised doing its thing power off your touch then turn it back on, your touch will reboot when loaded up (this is normal) when its rebooted you will then have a jailbroken 1.1.2
god bless you.
__________________
Steve Jobs took 6 months off to toke
nlivo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 02:33 AM   #6
millerbell
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
You will need to connect to a PC/Mac to start the RESTORE process. Once it is done you will then be able to restore from the cloud.

Make sure you have your iPhone plugged into your Computer (via iTunes) or you are on a WiFi network otherwise, it won't complete the reset until you are connected.

Once iTunes detects the phone, select RESTORE iPhone Backup.

During the reset, "everything" is erased, settings are set back to factory defaults and iOS is reinstalled.
When the phone restarts, set it up as new and follow the prompts or restore from your most recent backup within iTunes or from iCloud.
Then reinstall all of your apps, music, setup iCloud to sync your Contacts, Reminders, Calendar, Notes, etc.


Last edited by millerbell; May 29, 2013 at 01:23 AM.
millerbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 10:20 PM   #7
pod5g
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerbell View Post
You will need to connect to a PC/Mac to start the RESTORE process. Once it is done you will then be able to restore from the cloud.

Make sure you have your iPhone plugged into your Computer (via iTunes) or you are on a WiFi network otherwise, it won't complete the reset until you are connected.

Once iTunes detects the phone, select RESTORE.

During the reset, "everything" is erased, settings are set back to factory defaults and iOS is reinstalled.
When the phone restarts, set it up as new and follow the prompts or restore from your most recent backup within iTunes or from iCloud.
Then reinstall all of your apps, music, setup iCloud to sync your Contacts, Reminders, Calendar, Notes, etc.
Way to bump a six year old thread. Also, in 2007, there was no Reminders, iCloud or apps (no App Store). iOS wasn't even called iOS.
__________________
iPad (3rd generation)- iOS 6.1.3- 64 GB- Stock
iPod touch 3G- iOS 5.1.1- 64 GB- Jailbroken
iPod touch 5G- iOS 6.1.2- 32 GB- Stock
iPod nano 3G- 8 GB
pod5g is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 08:17 PM   #8
kaielement
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Makes me laugh that this was bumped but if you are running iOS 6 you can do a restore from the iPod touch with out using a computer. Go to settings> general > rest. Granted the iPod in question probably wouldn't be compatible with iOS 6. I know that this thread was from 2007 just felt like beating a douche lol
__________________
2012 11" MacBook Air, 2007 White MacBook, 16gb iPhone 5, 16gb iPhone 5s, 32gb iPad Air, 160gb iPod Classic, 8gb 6th Gen Nano, 20gb 2nd Gen iPod, 40gb 3rd Gen iPod, Moto X 16gb
kaielement is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 02:41 AM   #9
pickaxe
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaielement View Post
Makes me laugh that this was bumped but if you are running iOS 6 you can do a restore from the iPod touch with out using a computer. Go to settings> general > rest. Granted the iPod in question probably wouldn't be compatible with iOS 6. I know that this thread was from 2007 just felt like beating a douche lol
If the device is jailbroken do NOT do a Factory Reset. This will make the device unbootable and force you to do a restore via iTunes.
pickaxe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 02:14 PM   #10
kaielement
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickaxe View Post
If the device is jailbroken do NOT do a Factory Reset. This will make the device unbootable and force you to do a restore via iTunes.

I don't think that the post had anything to do with a jail rocket iPod touch plus this thread is like a million years old lol. I was just being a douche by replying.
__________________
2012 11" MacBook Air, 2007 White MacBook, 16gb iPhone 5, 16gb iPhone 5s, 32gb iPad Air, 160gb iPod Classic, 8gb 6th Gen Nano, 20gb 2nd Gen iPod, 40gb 3rd Gen iPod, Moto X 16gb
kaielement is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can I format/restore my ipod touch 3rd gen without itunes kiddk1 iPod touch 6 Jul 19, 2011 06:54 PM
TinyUmbrella Update Will Bypass SHSH Checks and Restore iDevice Without iTunes! Applejuiced Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 7 Dec 12, 2010 02:54 PM
Can you restore as new and upgrade firmware in one step by clicking restore in iTunes g35 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 2 Nov 22, 2010 02:29 PM
Restoring iPhone without itunes? wickerman1893 iPhone 1 Apr 10, 2010 04:29 PM
selling ibook--how can i restore Tiger without a DVD drive? ardavis324 PowerPC Macs 2 Dec 30, 2007 03:35 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC