Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:50 AM   #1
c073186
macrumors 6502a

Can I change my Apple ID to @icloud.com?

My Apple ID is still @mac.com from back in the day... is there any way I can change it to @icloud.com? If I log in to the 'Manage Apple ID' website, it will work with any of the three (@mac.com, @me.com, @icloud.com) but it still shows @mac.com as being the actual ID with the other two as alternate ID's/aliases. Is it possible?
c073186 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Mal
macrumors 603

It doesn't matter. Anytime you're asked for your AppleID, you can use any of the three. Use whichever you like.

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Solomani
macrumors 65816

Dear Original Poster,

The answer at this time is NO. A big fat NO. Courtesy of Apple.

When you go to the iCloud.com website, it is possible to change your Apple ID, however Apple clearly states that there are 3 restrictions/requirements for you to choose a new Apple ID:

1) Apple ID must be a valid email address

2) Must not be an email address already in use (by someone else)

3) Apple ID must NOT use a domain owned by Apple

#3 is the big doozy. Someone at Apple needs to get slapped in the face for this restriction. The logical thing would be for Apple to *encourage* the use of their own Apple-centric domains for their own Cloud services (icloud.com, me.com, mac.com, apple.com, eworld.com just kidding about eWorld, you all are too young to know what the hell that is....). But apparently, logic has failed Apple in this. Screenshot below.

Last edited by Solomani; Nov 18, 2012 at 07:07 PM.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2013, 06:56 AM   #4
mac1984user
macrumors 6502a

Yes, I'm digging up an old post, but this issue is as relevant now as it's ever been. It presents a slightly different issue to the many posts requesting that we be able to merge two DIFFERENT Apple IDs. All I want to do is to have my main Apple ID reflect my primary e-mail address and for that e-mail address to be my iCloud.com address (without, of course, setting up a new account and without using one account for store purchases and another for iCloud services). I left feedback on Apple's feedback website (www.apple.com/feedback) under the iCloud section and I encourage others who feel similarly to do the same. Thanks! Here's a copy of my feedback:

Quote:
To create a new iCloud account, a user does not need a non-Apple e-mail address to do so. As an existing user that wants to use my current Apple ID for both purchases and iCloud syncing, I would like my iCloud address to be my primary e-mail address AND my Apple ID. I would very much like to break my ties with Gmail (and other e-mail providers) and use my iCloud e-mail address exclusively. While I can set up my iCloud address as my primary e-mail address, I am instructed to enter a non-Apple e-mail address for the Apple ID. Apple offers the ability to merge primary e-mail addresses and Apple ID's but not with the iCloud e-mail address. We are told that we must "not use a domain owned by Apple". Is there a particular reason that the Apple ID and primary e-mail address cannot be merged into a single iCloud address? I know you can sign in to Apple services using your iCloud e-mail address, but why not go the extra step and let us officially link our existing accounts with iCloud and rid ourselves of any reliance on other providers? We've drunk the Kool-Aid, so please assimilate us fully!
mac1984user is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2013, 07:22 AM   #5
Crazy Badger
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
It doesn't matter. Anytime you're asked for your AppleID, you can use any of the three. Use whichever you like.

jW
I'd agree with this. I can log into iCloud or send/receive e-mail from crazybadger@me.com or crazybadger@icloud.com.

Doesn't make any difference which I choose as my @me account was migrated to the @icloud account. I guess if the @mac account was migrated to the @me account the same would apply.

ps: my appleid isn't crazybadger

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services