Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Apr 19, 2013, 04:35 PM   #201
carestudio
macrumors regular

Lets make a product called "Thunderbolt Complaints" where you can plug whatever you want including your ipad mini, samsung galaxy, google glass, HTC butterfly, Garmin GPS, nokia whatever phone and make Thunderbolt connection wireless 100G, and then you dont need the keyboard or mouse because you can issue signal from your brain directly to this TC unit and control your computer. Good eunf ? :0 DOH
carestudio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 07:18 PM   #202
StellarSoul
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Attaching a bag of hurt with Thunderbolt does't make it less of a bag of hurt.

And besides, Apple has the best HD movie and TV options in iTunes.

----------

Apple has the best HD movie and TV options in iTunes. They are making certain that you have the best possible User Experience. That is what they do.
Oh really? Cause when I search iTunes for particular movies that are already on blu-ray, they're regularly not there. And more than half of the movies I watch on iTunes dont have ANY subtitles, let alone foreign language ones. Quality is no where near as good as blu-ray either.
StellarSoul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:46 PM   #203
g4cube
macrumors 6502a

Sonnet has updated their info on the Echo 15:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/ec...rboltdock.html

Perhaps we'll see it by the end of Summer '14.

They decided to redesign the Thunderbolt interface and update it to Thunderbolt 2.

I hope that no one who preordered a unit had their credit card charged.

This was originally announced in April 2013 at NAB.
g4cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 02:04 PM   #204
HenryAZ
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4cube View Post
Sonnet has updated their info on the Echo 15:

Perhaps we'll see it by the end of Summer '14.

They decided to redesign the Thunderbolt interface and update it to Thunderbolt 2.
I like this statement on their update page:

"Equipping the Echo docks with Thunderbolt 2 will ensure you won't regret being an early adopter"

It doesn't much look like there will be early adopters, at this rate.
HenryAZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 06:15 PM   #205
g4cube
macrumors 6502a

A very expensive way to do market research.

When thunderbolt first came out on the Mac, Sonnet announced several products that never made it to market.

Even at NAB last year, they only had a larger banner illustration of the Echo 15 dock. Not even a physical mockup to display.

Announcing future products too early may lead to "the Osborne Effect":

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

Last edited by g4cube; Jan 25, 2014 at 10:39 AM.
g4cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 07:21 PM   #206
ShinySteelRobot
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Freak View Post
Ah, zealots. Yes, iTunes is of marginally lower quality than Blu-ray. But have you honestly watched a 1080p iTunes purchase and a Blu-ray of the same movie, on the same TV, from a reasonable viewing distance? WITHOUT making a point of specifically looking for flaws?

For the vast majority of movies, you won't be able to see any difference.

Please don't get a "FLAC/ALC lossless compressed versus uncompressed WAV/AIFF music" argument too...
It depends on the Blu-ray disc. It's true, older and/or poorly-encoded BR discs are often comparable to iTunes quality.

However, most of the time I see a pretty significant difference between Blu-ray and iTunes. Of course, my Apple TV and my Blu-ray player are both hooked up to a 1080p native projector and 120" projection screen in a dedicated home theater room. Given I choice I will always watch content from Blu-ray instead of iTunes.

Also, like many home theater enthusiasts I watch a lot of 3D content on the 120" screen (it's like my own personal 3D IMAX) and iTunes really has nothing to offer there.

I chuckle every time someone says something like "optical is dead".

Optical will be even less dead when 4K arrives due to the flippin' ginormous file sizes.
ShinySteelRobot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 08:20 PM   #207
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

Good product.....

to me.........Affordable price tag, good set of features. Obviously, no a laptop product, more an addition to a desktop setup.

Seems promising. Hope that quality and performance are in their best in this product. I always tought that Thunderbolt can gain momentum with affordable and feature-packed peripherals. Sounds like that time is coming...

Old Jan 25, 2014, 07:32 AM   #208
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

All of these dock makers have to stop assuming that everyone will daisy chain thunderbolt devices.

There are almost NO thunderbolt monitors out there.

There needs to be at least 3 TB ports so a 2 monitor setup is possible.

Or F'n follow the lead of the Mac Pro and have 6 ports!
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2014, 08:04 AM   #209
dyn
macrumors 65816

Users like you need to stop assuming it is as easy as hooking up things. It is definitely not. Also users like you need to stop assuming that each computer comes with 1289347692467823946 amount of Thunderbolt ports. If you get 2 you are lucky! Most computers will only have 1 and thus there is no other option but to daisy chain.

Another problem is the technical limitations with Thunderbolt and DisplayPort. A Thunderbolt device is only able to use 1 DisplayPort stream, meaning that it can only drive 1 DisplayPort display. If you put more ports on it and run that over Thunderbolt you only have a choice what kind of display connection you want to use. Only 1 of the connections will work, the others won't. Basically, if you want multiple non-Thunderbolt displays buy the new Mac Pro (it has 6 Thunderbolt ports).

The Caldigit dock is a very nice one because it has both hdmi and Thunderbolt on it. There is another brand which sports a similar layout on their dock. That way you can hook up a display and another Thunderbolt device such as the Thunderbolt Display (dual, triple display support!). I would have liked a mini DisplayPort or normal DisplayPort connector too because most modern displays come with them. However, the best thing would have been to have more Thunderbolt display options or the ability to hook up more displays. Unfortunately the problem is the infancy of the technology. It is still too new for such options. We'll see them in the future when bandwidth is enough for multiple DisplayPort streams (and thus multiple displays/higher resolution displays) and Thunderbolt is more popular.
dyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2014, 04:42 AM   #210
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn View Post
Users like you need to stop assuming it is as easy as hooking up things. It is definitely not. Also users like you need to stop assuming that each computer comes with 1289347692467823946 amount of Thunderbolt ports. If you get 2 you are lucky! Most computers will only have 1 and thus there is no other option but to daisy chain.

Another problem is the technical limitations with Thunderbolt and DisplayPort. A Thunderbolt device is only able to use 1 DisplayPort stream, meaning that it can only drive 1 DisplayPort display. If you put more ports on it and run that over Thunderbolt you only have a choice what kind of display connection you want to use. Only 1 of the connections will work, the others won't. Basically, if you want multiple non-Thunderbolt displays buy the new Mac Pro (it has 6 Thunderbolt ports).

The Caldigit dock is a very nice one because it has both hdmi and Thunderbolt on it. There is another brand which sports a similar layout on their dock. That way you can hook up a display and another Thunderbolt device such as the Thunderbolt Display (dual, triple display support!). I would have liked a mini DisplayPort or normal DisplayPort connector too because most modern displays come with them. However, the best thing would have been to have more Thunderbolt display options or the ability to hook up more displays. Unfortunately the problem is the infancy of the technology. It is still too new for such options. We'll see them in the future when bandwidth is enough for multiple DisplayPort streams (and thus multiple displays/higher resolution displays) and Thunderbolt is more popular.
I have 2 TB on my rMBP but I am tired of all the dongles. The point of a dock it to have 1 connection to the computer and the move then other connections/dongles to the dock. If I am never going to be able drive 2 monitors from a dock (short of using TB) then that's a bit useless from my perspective.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2014, 03:20 PM   #211
dyn
macrumors 65816

Yeah, I know what you mean but unfortunately we are not entirely there yet with the technology. If you have a Mac with Thunderbolt 2 you can at least use DisplayPort 1.2 displays and daisy chain them. In theory that should work. For the old Thunderbolt stuff the only option is to use a second dock.
dyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion