Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenvii View Post
Whoa. TIL about Synesthesia.

I totally have that.

Old May 29, 2013, 01:56 PM   #452
TedM
macrumors 6502

what is it like to play video games color blind? Is it a drastic difference? Are some objectives unable to be completed?
Old May 29, 2013, 02:42 PM   #453
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedM View Post
what is it like to play video games color blind? Is it a drastic difference? Are some objectives unable to be completed?
Generally it's not too bad. Probably the hardest games are usually "casual" games like Bejeweled style games that you have to match colors... as in that's the goal. Sometimes games have very small minigames that can be hard.

It can have advantages though. I've read that colorblind people see camouflage differently and detect movement better at long distances so that can be beneficial in first person shooters. I tend to snipe in FPS's when I can and while I can't say that it's because I'm colorblind, I know when my color normal friends would watch me they would often state "How can you even know there is a guy there?"
Old May 29, 2013, 02:42 PM   #454
Doctor Q
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedM View Post
We color blind are at a definite disadvantage for a lot of games. See my previous post for one example.

When I play board games with family members and each player has to pick a game piece by color, they let me pick one I can easily distinguish so I won't move the wrong player's piece. I have no problems with Monopoly since the game pieces are in the shapes of objects. Monopoly properties have colors that I might get confused, but they also have their names printed on them, so I'm not handicapped.

I like to play the iPhone game Dot Dot Dots, but only because it has a choice of themes and one of them doesn't require distinguishing the colors. It lets me distinguish by shape instead.

Here's the default theme, which is too hard for me and spoils the fun, and the theme I use when I play:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dot-dot-dots-default-theme.png
Views:	2
Size:	756.8 KB
ID:	414244   Click image for larger version

Name:	dot-dot-dots-my-theme.png
Views:	2
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	414245  
Old Today, 05:28 PM   #455
Doctor Q
Administrator

Headline from last year: Driver's COLOR BLINDNESS likely cause of fiery freight train smash in Oklahoma that killed three people

The same news was reported in a less sensationally titled AP wire service story.

The train engineer had multiple eyesight problems, including glaucoma and cataracts, and had multiple eye procedures performed, but since he could no longer distinguish between red and green it's his color vision that made the headline.

It makes sense that engineers need color vision because of the existing signaling systems. If they changed those systems to not rely solely on color differentiation, then that restriction on new engineers could be lifted. But there isn't much of a colorblindness lobby to argue for change.

Deteriorating vision will always be a problem for a job that requires looking where you are going, to avoid disasters like this one. It happened in Oklahoma in 2012.
Old Today, 10:35 PM   #456
The Doctor11
macrumors 65816

I'm color blind. I had always noticed people told me I it colors wrong a lot with blue and purple. But really I just screw them all up. In 4th grade I found out I was color blind and what that was. Every one had to go to the nurses office and take eye test (my visions screwed up to) and then she pulled out the book of circles and dots and asked if I seen the number. I said No and she started flipping threw the book real fast and I kept saying no. We got to the end of the book and I think I seen 1 number. My dad's color blind to. My one friends told me a few years ago to just use it as a exuse to every thing. And to scream it to "Why didn't you do your homework?" IM COLOR BLIND!! I never used it in a situation like that but I use it sometimes for fun.

Last edited by The Doctor11; Today at 10:43 PM.
The Doctor11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:49 PM   #457
The Doctor11
macrumors 65816

[QUOTE=Doctor Q;2227501]
My grandfather was born color blind. My mom was born a color blindness carrier. My brother and I, who each had a 50% chance to have normal vision, both lost the coin toss and were born color blind.
/QUOTE]
I THINK you and your brother had a 100% chance of being color blind. We learned about this in 7th grade. I think girls have some xy DNA and boys have xx and girls carrie color blindness in the x but unless the y has it they are fine. But boys only have x so if they have it in one they get it. I don't know it's something like that.
The Doctor11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion