Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stitch30

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
The wait for the new iMac is killing me and I'm still undecided if I wait longer or just buy a mini.

My question is : what would be your advice about the hard drives in the mini ? Should I go with the Fusion Drive or just put the regular 1tb drive and wait to add a second ssd drive myself ? I've seen threads about installing a second drive in the mini but the process scares me a bit. Will I void the original waranty if I do this ?

Any advice is welcome guys.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
The wait for the new iMac is killing me and I'm still undecided if I wait longer or just buy a mini.

My question is : what would be your advice about the hard drives in the mini ? Should I go with the Fusion Drive or just put the regular 1tb drive and wait to add a second ssd drive myself ? I've seen threads about installing a second drive in the mini but the process scares me a bit. Will I void the original waranty if I do this ?

Any advice is welcome guys.
I would say adding a second ssd drive would be the best choice, there are zillions of videos showing how to do it. So does fusion drive installation.
Simply get the ssd and regular drive going is a way to go also. I do not think
Apple would void warranty just to add drive.
If you can come up with Fusion drive apple charges, then go for it. There is no way apple would void warranty if they do it for you.
My hind sight points me to install the drive yourself. It is your choice.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
I just spoke with the local Apple store on the phone and asked them that question. He checked and said (for what it's worth) that they will NOT void your warranty for adding a second drive; they simply wouldn't be able to warranty that drive (naturally).

Rob

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Unless you break one of the connectors when doing it - Apple will not cover that damage and there have been enough reports of people doing it. Those connectors are fragile!

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Unless you break one of the connectors when doing it - Apple will not cover that damage and there have been enough reports of people doing it. Those connectors are fragile!

Yes, be careful. I damaged the one connector that handled the audio input and thunderbolt ports. It was a sad loss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.