Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VoxMac

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2009
Belgium
Am i suppose to use M2ts Ts or AVCHD when i convert an MKV with DTS. Do i select all the files or only the H.264 and DTS (leaving out the srt files)
Do i maybe change something in the General?
You can use as you want (personnaly i du AVCHD) and you can use srt too.

How is yojur PS3 configured. Is DTS send in bitstream mode or as PCM converted ?
Is your audio system able to decode the output format ?

Have you try another mkv ?

Manuganu

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
Every file I try does the same. I don't know what my ps3 can play or can't. I did not seem to have this problem when using mkv2vob.
Just to break it down.
If the video is mkv and the audio is...
DTS - ???
AAC - ???
AC3 - ???

What do I do with each option?
Have you tried on a ps3?

alexpeters

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
Okay, so I have a few questions.

1. If I burn these files to DVD will they play with full resolution, 1920x1080?

If you are converting in M2TS format, i think it can only have ac3 sound.
If your audio is in aac, you don't need tsMuxer, just use Subler, to convert your MKV in an MP4 that can be read by the PS3 (no convertion is done, just the container that is changed, and subtitles will be lost if any).
If the audio is in another format (ie. Mp3), audio convertion is required in one of the supported format.

2. In tsMuxer can I demux and remux to MP4 or can I just mux straight to MP4. I tried using Subler, but I think I did something wrong because the finished product didn't play. So if Subler works could you give me a walkthrough on how to use it.

Thanks.

francorj

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2010
But you can try on DVR-RW :D, so you can try the different solutions .
  • AVCHD Disk (tsMuxeR option)
  • BluRay Disk (tsMuxeR option)
  • AVCHD with 8.3 Names (tsMuxeR option + rename)
If you need to try with the latest option, and you need to rename the long format names by the 8.3 names, here is a small script that I have written to do so :
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Description : Small program to rename the AVCHD Names to AVCHD 8+3 Names
# Author      : VoxMac
# Date        : 07/12/2009
# Paramètre   : $1 - Directory of the AVCHD Structure
# --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Fields separator tag change
OFS=$IFS
IFS="
"

# Going through the AVCHD tree and rename the files
for dirList in $( ls -R "$1" | grep ':' ); do
    dir=$( echo $dirList | sed 's/://g' )
    cd "$dir"
    for file in $(ls); do
        NewName=$(echo $file | tr "[:lower:]" "[:upper:]" | 
                  sed 's/BDMV/BDM/;s/CLPI/CPI/;s/MPLS/MPL/;s/M2TS/MTS/;s/MOVIEOBJECT/MOVIEOBJ/')
        if [[ $file != $NewName  && -f $file ]]; then
           echo "Renaming : $dir/$file --> $NewName"
           mv $file $NewName
        fi
    done
done

# Reset Field separator tag
IFS=$OFS
Save this as for exemple makeAVCHD83 and run as follow
Code:
./makeAVCHD83 /Users/My_user/My_blu_ray

Hey VoxMac. I tried your build and it works like a charm. I am able to view the m2ts file with VLC and on my PS3 on file mode (browsing with Triangle and drilling down to the file). But PS3 does not recognize the AVCHD folder as it should.
I'm only having difficulties making the rename script 8+3 work.
I understand this is a required step to make the AVCHD folder be recognized through USB on the PS3, right?
I'm pretty new to the Mac and never scripted on it before.
I'm copying your script to the AppleScript Editor, but it gives me a Syntax Error (Expected expression but found unknown token.) on the OFS=$IFS line, when i try to compile it.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Doing the manual rename through command line with the Terminal it worked fine. But it takes a while to run all the commands, so the script would be really nice. thanks again.

EDIT 2: I figured it out! Not with the AppleScript Editor, but with Automator. I created a little app that goes through all the steps. The only thing is that I have to select all files and folders before starting, but that's ok!
Thanks again!

VoxMac

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2009
Belgium
Hi francorj,

if you use the AVCHD Disc option, the script is not needed, as the PS3, recognize the files (which are in 8.3 format).

For the Unix Script, I personally run it inside a terminal windows, as i don't use applescripts nor automator scripts.

Anyway, if you want to help the community, you can post your automator script, so other people can use it.

Regards,

VoxMac.

YOOY

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2011
Please help

Assertion failed: (curPos == end), function extractData, file ../vodTransport/src/matroskaParser.cpp, line 134.

Can't detect stream type. File name:

I receive this msg in about 5-10% of all the .mkv files i add to tsmuxer. I was hoping there is an easy fix to this as of now my only work around is to extract the files via mkvextract on windows side.

VoxMac

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2009
Belgium
Assertion failed: (curPos == end), function extractData, file ../vodTransport/src/matroskaParser.cpp, line 134.

Can't detect stream type. File name:

I receive this msg in about 5-10% of all the .mkv files i add to tsmuxer. I was hoping there is an easy fix to this as of now my only work around is to extract the files via mkvextract on windows side.
Hello,

I can't give you a fix, as i've no access to tsmuxer code, but you can use your workaround on mac without going on Windows Side.
You can use iMkvExtract that you can find here. The latest version is compiled with intel code, and do not need Rosetta.

YOOY

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2011
Thanks for the info... I have been using imkvextract for a while now on Mac. I get similar issues with that program not extracting the h264 but will extract the dts. For whatever reason on the windows side mkvextract doesn't have any issues with extracting the h264 or dts files. I looked at all the movies that it wont extract in both tsmuxer and imkvextract and the 1 common i found is the videos were encoded with Variable Framerates. After a little research i found that tsmuxer cant work with Variable Framerates. Not to sure what the issue is with imkvextract.

Distearth

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2008
Works on Mac OS X Lion as long as you remove the two fonts in VoxMac readme file.

I made this quick patch for myself for the next time I need to reinstall Lion or an update breaks the font this fixes. It just replaces the korean fonts with renamed ariel fonts. voxmac tsmuxer works fine after this. You can still just do it manually but I'm lazy...

Attachments

• tsMuxeR Lion Patch.zip
    1 MB · Views: 579

bigugly

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
I made this quick patch for myself for the next time I need to reinstall Lion or an update breaks the font this fixes. It just replaces the korean fonts with renamed ariel fonts. voxmac tsmuxer works fine after this. You can still just do it manually but I'm lazy...

This patch also work fine with 10.8 Mountain Lion

papo2

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Can someone post VoxMax's compiled tsMuxerGui?

Links are no longer working and I am trying to use it with Mountain Lion.

Thanks!

VoxMac

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2009
Belgium
Can someone post VoxMax's compiled tsMuxerGui?

Links are no longer working and I am trying to use it with Mountain Lion.

Thanks!
Hello, my link in the post is still ok for Rapidshare.
I didn't remove it.

And by the way, it still works on Mountain Lion.

Regards,

VoxMac

make21

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
tsMuxer finished with error code 254

Hi VoxMac, i'm trying to add subtitles in srt format and i receive the next message:
Can't convert source text to UTF-32. Invalid chars sequence.

Could you help me to solve that problem because i can't find help in the net.

Thanks in advance, regards:confused:

bigugly

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
Thought this may be useful to some
Code:
(*A small applescript which helps in the creation on AVCHD DVDs. Written because I couldn't find a simpler way of doing it. 
Required tsMuxerGUI to create AVCHD, everything else comes built in.
Thanks to VoxMac for tsMuxerGUI working on OS X and for the other info needed.
***No file or folders you use with this applescript can contain spaces***
bigugly
*)

--Burn image or create image for burning
display dialog "Create AVCHD DVD or Burn saved image" buttons {"Create AVCHD DVD", "Burn Image", "Quit"}
if result = {button returned:"Burn Image"} then
	set _image to choose file with prompt "Choose your image for burning"
	display dialog "Insert blank disk for writing then click Ok" buttons {"Ok"}
	--Sets the temorary folder to POSIX path for use in shell script
	set posix_image to POSIX path of _image
	--Burns image to DVD
	do shell script "hdiutil burn -noverifyburn " & posix_image
else if result = {button returned:"Quit"} then
	return
else if result = {button returned:"Create AVCHD DVD"} then
	--Selects the temporary folder
	set _TempDir to choose folder with prompt "Select Temporary Folder (default Desktop)" default location (path to desktop folder)
	--Sets the temorary folder to POSIX path for use in shell script
	set posix_TempDir to POSIX path of _TempDir
	--Sets size for DVD type
	set _size to {"DVD Single Layer", "DVD Dual Layer"}
	--Selects DVD type
	display dialog "Select DVD Type" buttons {"DVD Single Layer", "DVD Dual Layer", "Quit"}
	if result = {button returned:"DVD Single Layer"} then
		do shell script "dd if=/dev/zero of=" & posix_TempDir & "bd_image.img bs=1048576 count=4478"
	else if result = {button returned:"DVD Dual Layer"} then
		do shell script "dd if=/dev/zero of=" & posix_TempDir & "bd_image.img bs=1048576 count=8140"
	else if result = {button returned:"Quit"} then
		return
	end if
	display dialog "Enter DVD volume name (NO_SPACES)" default answer "MY_BLURAY_LABEL"
	--Sets volume name to choice
	set _volumeName to (text returned of result)
	--Formats image to UDF 2.5
	do shell script "newfs_udf -r 2.5 " & posix_TempDir & "bd_image.img -v " & _volumeName
	--Mounts the image
	do shell script "hdiutil mount -nobrowse " & posix_TempDir & "bd_image.img"
	--Selects folder for contents copy
	set _folder to choose folder with prompt "Select Folder"
	--Sets the contents folder to POSIX path for use in shell script
	set posix_folder to POSIX path of _folder
	--Copies contents of selected folder to image
	do shell script "cp -Rv " & posix_folder & "* /Volumes/" & _volumeName
	--Unmounts the image
	do shell script "hdiutil unmount /Volumes/" & _volumeName
	--Detaches the image
	do shell script "hdiutil detach /dev/$(diskutil list | grep " & _volumeName & " | awk '{ print $NF}')"
	--Displays choice to burn image to DVD
	display dialog "Would you like to burn the image to disk?" buttons {"Yes", "No"}
	if result = {button returned:"Yes"} then
		display dialog "Insert blank disk for writing then click Ok" buttons {"Ok"}
		--Burns image to DVD
		do shell script "hdiutil burn -noverifyburn " & posix_TempDir & "bd_image.img"
		--Displays choice to keep image for later use
		display dialog "Would you like to keep the image for later?" buttons {"Yes", "No"}
		if result = {button returned:"NO"} then
			--Deletes image
			do shell script "rm " & posix_TempDir & "bd_image.img"
		end if
	else if result = {button returned:"No"} then
		--Displays choice to keep image for later use
		display dialog "Would you like to keep the image for later?" buttons {"Yes", "No"}
		if result = {button returned:"NO"} then
			--Deletes image
			do shell script "rm " & posix_TempDir & "bd_image.img"
		end if
	end if
end if

Attachments

• AVCHD DVD Creator.zip
    515.6 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

deekay64

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
Hey VoxMac!..

This thread has been dead for a while, but I hope you still read this. First of all: Thanks a lot for your Snow Leo build, it's the only one I found after much searching that actually works on 10.6!
Since it seems you made the Windows source into an Xcode project, I wanted to ask you if it would be possible for you to make a universal binary that also runs on PPC and 10.5!... Or, if you can't be bothered, at least share the xcode project files! ;-)

I'm a PPC diehard that just refuses to retire his trusty old Quad G5, and I managed to persuade the people that make mkvtoolnix and Bino 3D (a 3D player) to make PowerPC builds for 10.5, so now I watch 3D and burn Blurays with it. I even just bought an USB3 card merely to see if USB3 will actually work in Ubuntu PPC, which I also have installed! ;-)
All I still need is tsMuxer, and now the source is released there's finally a chance for a PPC version! I did see there's some X64 versions out there (both for Mac and Linux), so I'm hoping it's not full of binary blobs which cannot be crosscompiled!... I couldn't see anything when skimming over the .cpp file, but then again I'm not really a programmer!...

P.S: Also thanks for your most interesting instructions on how to build an AVCHD image merely using standard shell tools! I never thought this was possible without the help of the Toast HD extensions!... Just makes me wonder why there still is nothing like newfs_udf on Linux, cause the mkudffs they use is absolutely ancient and the latest it can do is UDF 2.01 - making it completely unuseable for AVCHD/BD creation! And now there's no more Nero4Linux anymore, there is *no* tool left to burn Blurays with on Linux!

VoxMac

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2009
Belgium
This thread has been dead for a while, but I hope you still read this. First of all: Thanks a lot for your Snow Leo build, it's the only one I found after much searching that actually works on 10.6!
Since it seems you made the Windows source into an Xcode project, I wanted to ask you if it would be possible for you to make a universal binary that also runs on PPC and 10.5!... Or, if you can't be bothered, at least share the xcode project files! ;-)

I'm a PPC diehard that just refuses to retire his trusty old Quad G5, and I managed to persuade the people that make mkvtoolnix and Bino 3D (a 3D player) to make PowerPC builds for 10.5, so now I watch 3D and burn Blurays with it. I even just bought an USB3 card merely to see if USB3 will actually work in Ubuntu PPC, which I also have installed! ;-)
All I still need is tsMuxer, and now the source is released there's finally a chance for a PPC version! I did see there's some X64 versions out there (both for Mac and Linux), so I'm hoping it's not full of binary blobs which cannot be crosscompiled!... I couldn't see anything when skimming over the .cpp file, but then again I'm not really a programmer!...

P.S: Also thanks for your most interesting instructions on how to build an AVCHD image merely using standard shell tools! I never thought this was possible without the help of the Toast HD extensions!... Just makes me wonder why there still is nothing like newfs_udf on Linux, cause the mkudffs they use is absolutely ancient and the latest it can do is UDF 2.01 - making it completely unuseable for AVCHD/BD creation! And now there's no more Nero4Linux anymore, there is *no* tool left to burn Blurays with on Linux!
Hello, sorry for the late reply, but I don't come often anymore on that site.

For tsMuxer, as far as I know, there was never a version made for PPC. As I'm not the developer, and thus, I can't give you the source code for tsMuxer, the GUI will be from no help without it. You may find the Gui source there : http://www.marcel-jueling.de/vdr/squeeze/base/t/tsmuxergui/ but I don't have the xCode Project anymore (4 years ago !) and you still need to find the Qt libs for OSX ppc in order to compile.

Anyway at your request, I've made a search on the net, and it seems that there still a guy (from smlabs ?) on the net who adds new things to tsMuxer, so he should have the source code, and he may be able to help you.
You can see his posts in : http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168539

By the way where have you seen the source code for tsMuxer ?

regards,

VoxMac

deekay64

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
Thanks for your reply!...

Oh, I didn't know the CLI version was separate from the GUI, I thought the GUI included it!.. I found the same source that you posted!
So how did these AMD64 packages of TSmuxer come about then? From what I can see, tsmuxer (the CLI tool) has only ever been released for MacOS in a 64bit version!... Or do they simply run it via linux32?

Fat chance asking the tsmuxer guy himself for a PPC build.. Tried that, he didn't even answer! Chances are he never even owned a PPC machine, which makes it kinda hard to build something for it.. I gave the MKVtoolnix guy that made the PPC build an account on my machine for remote login (even Moritz Bunkus himself was logged onto my machine when we found an endian-bug in mkvmerge itself, although he preferred it booted to Ubuntu/PPC! ;-) and the Bino dude was kind enough to acquire an old iMac G5 to make the build!

Oh well, i thought there was a chance to finally get tsmuxer now... But the woes aren't as bad as they used to be, since I mainly needed it to demux m2ts or ts streams in order to turn them into mkv - which became moot once mkvtoolnix added support for m2ts/ts in Version 5! ;-) Before, I was stuck using tsremux (a .NET program which I got to work via Mono) to demux, which was horrible and slow as hell! Even though it is still the only tool in existance that can parse the odd TS4 files that my father's Humax receiver produces, and since the source was available, I do somewhat wonder why nobody ever developed this any further!.. IIRC the BD/AVCHD muxing was always b0rked in tsremux, and nobody ever fixed it!...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.