Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
the chipsets required for LTE at that time, which had a very high power drain (i remember a review of some HTC LTE device which drained the battery while navigating with LTE - while plugged in to a car charger!).
This is central to the Apple philosophy. Make it user friendly or don't release it. In Apple's case they have an 8 hour threshold of good enough. I for one will look forward to the distant day when an Apple handtop has a 3-4 day battery life. For now I would opt for a mere 24 hours on a BTO basis. Thicker is actually better in some meaningful ways.

Rocketman

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
What an idiot.

Also... I was streaming video on my iPhone 3GS in 2009, and I have a feeling Mr. Jobs was too. There are a few holes in this story.

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
I wouldn't call it "crawling back", I'm pretty sure Verizon would still be around even if they didn't carry iPhone as of today. IMO, both saw an opportunity to make more money and finally took it.

[massive cut]

At the end of the day, I would say that both Apple and Verizon both saw benefits of doing business together and finally put their "differences" aside and seized the opportunity.

YES! This is exactly like the stuck-up so-and-so at a party who says, "I don't want sex" when they really mean "I don't want sex *with you*" and then later, after a couple drinks admits they want sex *ahem*. [Please pardon the graphic imagery. Mods feel free to not post this if it is deemed offensive.]

----------

That's why he's an "executive"!

No, that's my he's a C-level. C is an abbreviation.

BossHogg

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Hazzard County, GA
Didn't he and Denny Strigl turn down the original iPhone deal with Jobs because they wanted to focus on that AWESOME VCast music system ????

Should have both been fired for that one !

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
This is not entirely true. Apple originally pitched the iPhone to many US carriers and the only one that would take them was AT&T with an exclusivity contract. The others were like "an Apple phone? haha". After the success of the iPhone on AT&T and the exclusivity contract with t hem was up, the other carriers quickly added the iPhone to their lineups. They wanted a piece of that profit action too.

Fact is that the iPhone required investment, and a single carrier with an exclusive contract was always going to benefit much more from such an investment than multiple carriers. Verizon would have gladly taken the iPhone had they been the only one, just as AT&T wouldn't have been happy with a non-exclusive contract. Obvious that whoever didn't make the iPhone deal would then talk it down.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Fact is that the iPhone required investment, and a single carrier with an exclusive contract was always going to benefit much more from such an investment than multiple carriers. Verizon would have gladly taken the iPhone had they been the only one, just as AT&T wouldn't have been happy with a non-exclusive contract. Obvious that whoever didn't make the iPhone deal would then talk it down.

This is not true. AT&T was the only one to initially accept the iPhone. The others rejected it. And AT&T would only take it on the exclusivity contract. Which was good cause no-one else wanted it. When the exclusivity contract was up everyone wanted it as we know cause it's a profit making phone.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
This is not true. AT&T was the only one to initially accept the iPhone. The others rejected it. And AT&T would only take it on the exclusivity contract. Which was good cause no-one else wanted it. When the exclusivity contract was up everyone wanted it as we know cause it's a profit making phone.

Splitting hairs here, but AT&T was the only one to accept the iPhone on Apple's terms. It's not that the other carriers didn't want it, it's that they couldn't abide the restrictions (no garrish carrier logos, no carrier shovelware/crapware, music/movies could be added only via iTunes, etc.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.