Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:44 AM   #26
maverick72
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
You can't change graphic cards on 99% of all laptops and all in ones without customizing. Same for processors, so besides memory (that like i said can be user changed on the 27) your argument is simply not true.

I'm pretty sure Porsche doesn't make ceramic brakes and when a client comes in and orders those brakes they simply charge you more then the bulk price they pay them.

Try changing the processor or graphic card of a PS3 or Xbox (boy that would be awsome)! What you can't???
maverick72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:58 AM   #27
MoreAwesomeDanU
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladfein View Post
But you ARE comparing Apple to Porsche! You probably (don’t know much about Porsche) can’t get their “ceramic brakes” anywhere else.
The Apple however charges you triple for the parts you can get on every corner, but you can’t use them because Apple makes it difficult (or impossible) to upgrade.
Actually apple is very comparable to car dealerships. You have a base price, and as you add options your price goes way up for minor upgrades. You can get leather seats on both the toyota and BMW, but the bmw option is probably a few hundred dollars more.
MoreAwesomeDanU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:11 PM   #28
forty2j
macrumors 68030
 
forty2j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojothemonkey View Post
WHY is everyone so hung up about the optical drive. Do I need to do a simple google search and find you dozens of simple USB external DVD/CDRW drives for UNDER $20. You buy this ONCE, pull it out to use it that one time a year when you need to install on operating system or old software, and SHUT UP about it forever. God... whiners.
Despite the fact that I only use the optical drive once a month or less (I bought a box of software, in a store, that had an optical disk in it, for example - this is still pretty common), I do find myself somewhat annoyed by its absence. It's not that the function can't be replaced. It's that it stopped being an All-in-One. Instead of a normal computer that has 2 primary components (tower with internals and optical drive, and display), this computer will have 2 primary components (display with internals, and optical drive). It rather defeats the point.

I do love the new look they achieved by removing it. But it adds a layer of annoyance to using a system that's supposed to just sit, look pretty, and do its thing. Now I need to choose - do I detract some of the beauty by dangling an accessory from it, or do I hide the accessory in a closet and spend an hour looking for it every time I need it?
__________________
 2012 iMac 3.2GHz 27" 680MX Fusion  iPhone 5  Apple TV 2  iPad 2 
forty2j is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:01 PM   #29
vladfein
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojothemonkey View Post
WHY is everyone so hung up about the optical drive. Do I need to do a simple google search and find you dozens of simple USB external DVD/CDRW drives for UNDER $20. You buy this ONCE, pull it out to use it that one time a year when you need to install on operating system or old software, and SHUT UP about it forever. God... whiners.
No YOU SHUT UP!

The space under my hypothetical new iMac 21” is already occupied by a large external USB drive and an SSD because I didn’t want to pay Apple tax for those “upgrades”.
Having my black keyboard with all the keys and ergonomic mouse would make my desk look NOT as neat as in the Apple store display.
vladfein is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:13 PM   #30
flynz4
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Personally, I welcome the demise of optical media. While I am delighted that Apple is leading the charge by removing them from laptops... I am slightly disappointed that they removed it from the iMac so soon. I like having one computer around with an ODD... and that would be the iMac.

It is just a minor annoyance... one that I can live with just fine. I just wish they waited a couple of more years.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:23 PM   #31
sukai
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty2j View Post
Despite the fact that I only use the optical drive once a month or less (I bought a box of software, in a store, that had an optical disk in it, for example - this is still pretty common), I do find myself somewhat annoyed by its absence. It's not that the function can't be replaced. It's that it stopped being an All-in-One. Instead of a normal computer that has 2 primary components (tower with internals and optical drive, and display), this computer will have 2 primary components (display with internals, and optical drive). It rather defeats the point.

I do love the new look they achieved by removing it. But it adds a layer of annoyance to using a system that's supposed to just sit, look pretty, and do its thing. Now I need to choose - do I detract some of the beauty by dangling an accessory from it, or do I hide the accessory in a closet and spend an hour looking for it every time I need it?
Ahaha I wonder how many can relate to this.
Am definitely one.
sukai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:46 PM   #32
willmtaylor
macrumors 65816
 
willmtaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Natural State
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick72 View Post
Real men use the 768G SSD drive anyway. Not this cheap crap fusion drive. Kills performance over SSD anyway.
So spending $1000 makes YOU a man eh? That's sad. Perhaps one ought not listen to the Viagra salesman's propaganda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick72 View Post
Don't need to be in the big leagues to see that an SSD drive is always gonna be faster than an HDD. 10%? So your the kind of guy that believes the little pictures Apple throws you at keynotes?
You mean the type of person that takes a huge company's widely broadcasted press release & announcement as truth? Yup.

Conspiracy theorist much?
__________________
"Each of us knows it all, and knows he knows it all--the rest, to a man, are fools and deluded." -Mark Twain

Last edited by willmtaylor; Nov 11, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
willmtaylor is online now   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone have no problems on 27" iMac with Fusion Drive? MrPeelNZ iMac 10 Jan 26, 2013 05:06 PM
iMac 21.5" with/without Fusion Drive + additional Ram aaronoafc iMac 3 Jan 26, 2013 06:43 AM
21" fusion drive imac experiences yet? chfilm iMac 11 Dec 8, 2012 11:18 PM
27" iMac - Speed of the 1TB HD in the Fusion drive CoreyLahey iMac 5 Dec 1, 2012 04:20 AM
Fusion Drive for 27" iMac NoShoreGuy iMac 1 Nov 4, 2012 03:00 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC