Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
For new 920 owners, can we have a camera shots thread? I'd love to see what PureView is doing for owners using it in real world situations.

Seriously debating getting a 920 if I sell my Galaxy Nexus when my N4 arrives. Its about time my love for Nokia was rekindled.

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
Say what you want about the windows app store, but I just loaded up every app I frequently used on the iphone (with the lone exception of iTeleport, I will have to find a competitor).

So all but one of my apps were there, removing one criticism for me. What was even nicer, and very surprising, was that the grand total of apps purchases so far switching from iOS to Windows mobile is: $0.00.

Microsoft Office, included. Nokia drive (including a downloaded map of the entire US, 2.5GB), included. All of my business and news apps, free. Productivity apps, almost all there, and free, even some that were pay apps in iOS. Everyone complains about the apps, but after my experience, I really need to ask exactly what is missing?

I do not play games or consume media on my phone, and maybe Windows mobile is not the best for that, but as far as productivity apps, I am already noticing a positive difference with the iphone, and even though this was not what converted me to the platform, it is a ton cheaper. I hope this platform inspires Android and Apple to step up their game, but based on this first 24 hours, I am now uninterested in iOS and losing interest in Android.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Say what you want about the windows app store, but I just loaded up every app I frequently used on the iphone (with the lone exception of iTeleport, I will have to find a competitor).

So all but one of my apps were there, removing one criticism for me. What was even nicer, and very surprising, was that the grand total of apps purchases so far switching from iOS to Windows mobile is: $0.00.

Microsoft Office, included. Nokia drive (including a downloaded map of the entire US, 2.5GB), included. All of my business and news apps, free. Productivity apps, almost all there, and free, even some that were pay apps in iOS. Everyone complains about the apps, but after my experience, I really need to ask exactly what is missing?

I do not play games or consume media on my phone, and maybe Windows mobile is not the best for that, but as far as productivity apps, I am already noticing a positive difference with the iphone, and even though this was not what converted me to the platform, it is a ton cheaper. I hope this platform inspires Android and Apple to step up their game, but based on this first 24 hours, I am now uninterested in iOS and losing interest in Android.

The fact my bank app (CITIBANK) IS MIA is enough.

Bkasm

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
For people still on the fence about this phone, Walmart has them on sale for $49.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Went to try and check one out (920) and they let me see one but cant sell them till tomorrow. Not heavy at all imo. It has some weight but it wasnt as heavy as i thought it would be. Nicely built actually.

I wanted to play around with it and willl do more later but my first impression is those are very nice phones. I had a white one they gave me and it was nice but think Cyan would be my choice if i was going to get one...which im not. Just wanted to check them out. I dont have AT&T.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
After playing with both a little bit today, I think the 920 smokes the 8X.

The 920 is a bit chunky but feels good in the the hand. Weight is a none issue. Build quality is first rate.

Screen is phenomenal, but I thought text on my iPhone 5 was a bit more legible. Brightness was 1000x better than the previous Lumia 900. Overall fluidity and user experience is way better than anything in the android world and a worthy iOS contender.

Overall, I'm impressed. I'll probably snap one up used in the first quarter.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
^ I think I prefer the 8x over the 920. It just feels so much better in hand IMO. The Lumia 920 felt just too big. I could not reach most of the screen with my thumb and when I tried my palm hit the back button a lot, I think partially b/c the device was pretty thick so that takes up some hand space to reach for the screen. I prefer the smaller size/screen of the 8x (I switched from a GS3 to a Razr M recently) and I noticed the placement of the capacitive keys was much lower near the bezel rather than up higher on the 920 which maybe affected me palm pressing keys. The weight also was nice as I keep my phone in my pocket and lab coat most of the time. I'm sure it's really noticeable when in pocket. I dunno I just liked the profile of the 8x over the Lumia 920 so much better. This makes the difference to me.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
^ I think I prefer the 8x over the 920. It just feels so much better in hand IMO. The Lumia 920 felt just too big. I could not reach most of the screen with my thumb and when I tried my palm hit the back button a lot, I think partially b/c the device was pretty thick so that takes up some hand space to reach for the screen. I prefer the smaller size/screen of the 8x (I switched from a GS3 to a Razr M recently) and I noticed the placement of the capacitive keys was much lower near the bezel rather than up higher on the 920 which maybe affected me palm pressing keys. The weight also was nice as I keep my phone in my pocket and lab coat most of the time. I'm sure it's really noticeable when in pocket. I dunno I just liked the profile of the 8x over the Lumia 920 so much better. This makes the difference to me.

I was convinced I would like the 8X more because of the form factor as well. After handling both I was left more impressed by the 920.

apierrec

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
Who have both iP5 and Lumia 920 on AT&T in one account? I have an iP5. Am thinking of testing the NL920 - buying it off contract and get it unlock (not sure if this is possible now) but then it has a micro sim and I want to use them in my current AT&T account. AT&T will only activate a single sim in one account, right? Or just use / test for the meantime the NL920 in wifi only ...

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
The fact my bank app (CITIBANK) IS MIA is enough.

By that logic, nobody would have taken a gamble on Android either. Flipboard didn't join the Play store until fairly recently, along with Instagram and a number of other "must have" apps.

Citibank is an enormous financial institution; I'd imagine a WP8 app will be available soon. My bank (USAA) is already on-board so now I just have to wait for a quality Nokia device on Verizon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.