Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
A+

I've said it 100x.

As a paying AppleCare+ buyer, I *HOPE* they charge the OP... not because I don't like him/her or am not sympathetic to their situation... but the rules are written... you buy a warranty and you get a cheap ($50) replacement. I would hope they would at least make the OP buy the $99 warranty as part of the "we'll replace it for you this time" deal. Otherwise I'm the one getting screwed by buying a warranty that I don't need (if they'll just replace them anyway)...

Read his post. He's in the UK. We can't get AppleCare+ in the UK.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
OP, that is a nasty gash. Apple won't replace it, you can bet. Get a bumper case and move on.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Why does everybody in the US assume that every poster on this forum is by default in the US? The OP has his location in his profile and in his second post stated that he is in the UK and AppleCare+ is not even available in the UK. Yet all the US posters keep going on about AC+ and $49 or $229 replacements etc.

Read the previous posts more closely before posting yourself!

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Thanks for the explanation for those of us who are not experts in anodizing.

So what you're saying is that the chamfer is more or less designed to be less receptive to dyeing and therefore even more easily scratch/lose it's dye and show the naked aluminium?

I wouldn't say it is designed to do that, but it is a direct effect of the process yes.

----------

Why does everybody in the US assume that every poster on this forum is by default in the US? The OP has his location in his profile and in his second post stated that he is in the UK and AppleCare+ is not even available in the UK. Yet all the US posters keep going on about AC+ and $49 or $229 replacements etc.

Read the previous posts more closely before posting yourself!

You can still get $229 replacements in the UK

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I would say Apple would replace if it was from regular wear and tear. But you dropped the phone so Apple won't replace it. You never know tho and you might get a genius that is being really nice that day. Doesn't hurt to try.

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I'll try and go to a Genius Bar as soon as possible, but my nearest one is about an hour and a half away!

Im not bothered if I have to pay the replacement fee (think it's around £149 in the UK), I just didn't really want to pay the whole £699 (~$1120) again. But, my primary concern was safety due to my finger getting cut on the piece that broke off. The part is not as sharp now that the piece of metal fell off though!

*Will definitely be getting a case if i'm able to get another one!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.