Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Ugh, not good news. Especially not right now for me.

I normally go to a really good branch 20 miles away and like to support them so got a £100 gift card and £340 in vouchers for them for Christmas. I was going to collect a Nex 7 tomorrow, now discover they're not accepting vouchers. :mad:

I know it's a relatively small thing compared to people losing their jobs but it's a lot of money to me.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Ugh, not good news. Especially not right now for me.

I normally go to a really good branch 20 miles away and like to support them so got a £100 gift card and £340 in vouchers for them for Christmas. I was going to collect a Nex 7 tomorrow, now discover they're not accepting vouchers. :mad:

I know it's a relatively small thing compared to people losing their jobs but it's a lot of money to me.

That is really unfortunate! Hopefully down the line they will honour these vouchers and gift certificates.

This is the reason I ask people not to get me gift vouchers or gift cards. They have an expiry date and you can also not count on what is going to happen in the future. It also gets to that annoying point where you have have £4 left on one and either have to cash out yourself just to spend it or your stuck with that lonesome wasted money!

Ish

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Thanks acearchie. I thought I'd be okay with the expiry date as I was going to use it so soon. Didn't think about the other problems.

The vouchers were a supermarket offer. £170 in Tescos vouchers gives you £340 in Jessops vouchers - and they only arrived today!!! I've dropped them an email to see if they have any plans for this sort of thing.

If I get the camera elsewhere before next Wednesday I can get a £100 cash back from Sony. If I wait I may miss that but be able to use my vouchers. On the other hand I might miss out on both.

Maybe I should wait for the Nex 7 replacement, but who knows if I'll even like it!

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Thanks acearchie. I thought I'd be okay with the expiry date as I was going to use it so soon. Didn't think about the other problems.

The vouchers were a supermarket offer. £170 in Tescos vouchers gives you £340 in Jessops vouchers - and they only arrived today!!! I've dropped them an email to see if they have any plans for this sort of thing.

Ah in that case you might be in luck! I read on the BBC site that Tesco are honouring any recently converted vouchers. Send them an email and you might find you get your cash back!

Ish

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
UK
So they are! That's a relief at least. It's up on Tescos website now on the offer page. I hope a reasonable spread of shops stays open, maybe focusing on the mid to higher end of the market. At the moment there're too many people using them to look at cameras then buying online.

Just spoken to someone who works there and the first they knew about it was when they heard it on the news. The papers are reporting that you can still buy their vouchers online which I think is a bit underhand of PwC.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Vouchers may well start being accepted again in a week or two once the administrators have a chance to audit the business.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I worked for them for a while. Im not surprised, awful customer service and infrastructure.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
UK
I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Not from a shopper's point of view anyway. I'm not too keen on the branch near where I live, for example, but the one in the next town is great and I go there.

Whatever we may think of them, they're the only really national photographic shop here; other shops sell cameras but only a small range. What will happen when we want to buy a new camera and want to handle it and compare it with others before committing ourselves? Common advice on here about buying a camera is to see how it feels in your hand.

When I bought my tripod and head I took my camera and we set it up so I could have a play with it with no commitment. I'd call that pretty good customer service.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Whatever we may think of them, they're the only really national photographic shop here; other shops sell cameras but only a small range. What will happen when we want to buy a new camera and want to handle it and compare it with others before committing ourselves? Common advice on here about buying a camera is to see how it feels in your hand.

Not sure whereabouts you are from but there I London Camera Exchange and Camulet. Both who have great employees and allow you to properly test out the equipment in the shops.

Don't know if you have got a refund from your vouchers to Tesco but if you want to keep the double value consider waiting a while then writing to PwC as in the Metro it said that if you write to them there is a chance of being able to redeem them.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Not from a shopper's point of view anyway. I'm not too keen on the branch near where I live, for example, but the one in the next town is great and I go there.

When I bought my tripod and head I took my camera and we set it up so I could have a play with it with no commitment. I'd call that pretty good customer service.

Go to a local camera shop...... they're not exactly in short supply.

Personally I buy from park cameras.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Not sure whereabouts you are from but there I London Camera Exchange and Camulet. Both who have great employees and allow you to properly test out the equipment in the shops.

Don't know if you have got a refund from your vouchers to Tesco but if you want to keep the double value consider waiting a while then writing to PwC as in the Metro it said that if you write to them there is a chance of being able to redeem them.

They've gone. Closing down at end of trading today.

I'm sort of south midlands. I stand corrected about them being the only national shop, they obviously aren't. I can get to a Calumet, though I haven't been yet, but looking at the branch distribution of the London Camera Exchange I'm in that big empty hole in the middle!

All credit to Tesco, they wrote to me yesterday:

Our records show you have ordered Tesco rewards tokens for use at Jessops.

Due to the recent developments with Jessops and their file for administration, Tesco Clubcard rewards would like to offer you a full refund of your Clubcard points.

So I'll take that option for those, and I'll have to write to PwC as an unsecured creditor and hope to get some of it back. Could take a year though. I feel sorry for people who've taken cameras in for repair. They've been taken as well I hear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.