Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RatHat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
I have to run some Windows programs, so would like to ask which would be the better way to go, Bootcamp or Parallels.

What I need is the fastest internet connection speed, and the cleanest Windows layout for the Windows program, and am wondering whether Bootcamp would be the way to go with this.

I already have Parallels installed, and it can give the Windows programs a slightly odd appearance when in Coherence. Does anyone have any experiences with both Bootcamp and Parallels who can give me an idea of the better option?

elithrar

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2007
Parallels/VMWare are fine for any regular desktop software that doesn't place large demands on 3D rendering or I/O. Network connection speed and the "layout" are unaffected.

Boot Camp is a good option if you need performant 3D (CAD, games), or access to the hardware (i.e. specific drivers).

PK8

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
I use Parallels on my MacBook Air primarily for MS Office and other work-related programs, and it works great. I especially like its coherence mode, under which Windows (and programs being run in Windows) essentially act like Mac programs (of course, it doesn't affect the actual Windows program itself, but more how you interact with the program via Mac desktop, etc.).

I have not used Bootcamp, so I can't really compare the two. But, for my use, Parallels is great.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
I use to be a big supporter of Parallels but the way they treated people who had bought Parallels 7 vs Parallels 8 has left with me with a bitter taste in my mouth.

I like Parallels because it allowed me to work in Windows Applications seamlessly while in Mac. I also have 24 gigabytes of ram to support this kind of environment.

If you are gaming or 3d rendering, bootcamp is better. I just hated the idea of switching back and forth between the two.

boat

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2002
Bootcamp is unquestionably better for 3D games. Having said that, I'm completely gobsmacked at how much parallels has improved it's graphics performance. Last night, I played Skyrim with Parallels. That's right, Skyrim. It ran fine too. There was the occasional stutter and I had the feeling it wasn't quite as buttery-smooth as it might have been in boot camp, but it was still damn good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.