Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
What do you use to download torrent files on the iPad? How do you move them to the dropbox folder?

tnx

Just tap the download button for the torrent like you would on a normal desktop. I use Safari, so when I tap the button, it brings up the options to open the file in certain apps, including DropBox. I tap DropBox, it switches to DropBox, then I choose the folder to upload the torrent into. Its extremely simple, I promise.

MT0227

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
For me:

Ipad = Consumption Device; Music, Movies, Internet Content (Web/Mail) and a game here or there.

Macbook Pro = Production Device; Photo, Video, Music editing....MSFT Office for work related stuff and remote desktop.

Poisonivy326

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
The ipad was the reason I decided to go with a low-end MBP. Reading, browsing, games, etc. I do on my ipad. Downloading torrents, making documents/presentations, storing all 6 seasons of LOST, all the "unfun" stuff, I figured a regular old cMBP would do.

I kind of don't get the people who have both an ipad and a maxed out retina macbook pro.

KiranB

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Birmingham UK
The ipad was the reason I decided to go with a low-end MBP. Reading, browsing, games, etc. I do on my ipad. Downloading torrents, making documents/presentations, storing all 6 seasons of LOST, all the "unfun" stuff, I figured a regular old cMBP would do.

I kind of don't get the people who have both an ipad and a maxed out retina macbook pro.

I got pages and keynote yesterday for the ipad got to say its pretty impressive! I really am thinking of selling my MacBook .. As I can use the family iMac for whatever or if ever I need to :D

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
For me:

Ipad = Consumption Device; Music, Movies, Internet Content (Web/Mail) and a game here or there.

Macbook Pro = Production Device; Photo, Video, Music editing....MSFT Office for work related stuff and remote desktop.

Ditto, IPad is a fantastic device, but a lot of things can be done faster or only on a laptop (computer). I see them as complimentary. I can see though how for somebody who is not a power user an iPad is enough.

Last edited:

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
iPad still not practical yet with its lackluster multitasking.

No way I could do a research paper using just the iPad plus typing on a touchscreen is hard for long papers.

Computers are still relevant.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I immediately sold my 17" MacBook Pro when I got an iPad and replaced it with an iMac. The only reason I have a regular computer is because I am a freelance graphic designer. So my iMac handles all of the heavy work while my iPad mini is for everything else.

I dload torrents from my iPad using uTorrent on my iMac. I set it up to watch a specific DropBox folder for .torrent files. On my iPad when I download a torrent I save it to that DropBox folder and uTorrent on my iMac sees it in that folder and begins downloading it.
Wow thanks this is useful!

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
iPad still not practical yet with its lackluster multitasking.

No way I could do a research paper using just the iPad plus typing on a touchscreen is hard for long papers.

Computers are still relevant.

I wrote the first draft of my dissertation on it. Of course, I used the external keynoard. It's great to be able to handwrite when you want, write and read in portrait mode, work for 8 or 9 hours without a charge, and have it available even lying in bed.

Computers are relevant, but with remote login apps like Logmein, they rarely leave my home / office anymore.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I wrote the first draft of my dissertation on it. Of course, I used the external keynoard. It's great to be able to handwrite when you want, write and read in portrait mode, work for 8 or 9 hours without a charge, and have it available even lying in bed.

Computers are relevant, but with remote login apps like Logmein, they rarely leave my home / office anymore.

The question is whether you can do it or not but if its more efficient and that still goes to the computer.

I'm sure eventually tablets will be dominant but until then I just feel like forcing yourself to be in the post-PC world doesn't feel right.

KiranB

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Birmingham UK

Snap ... I have also done many job applications and cover letters on the ipad... It is useful ... But as I said it all depends on what you want to use it for :cool:

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
The question is whether you can do it or not but if its more efficient and that still goes to the computer.

I'm sure eventually tablets will be dominant but until then I just feel like forcing yourself to be in the post-PC world doesn't feel right.
I don't know if it is more "efficient," but I do like the freedom of being able to do everything on one device no matter where I am. There are many times in bed or standing in line that I have corrected a paragraph here or a paragraph there. I am certain I would not have pulled out my MBA to do it.

Snap ... I have also done many job applications and cover letters on the ipad... It is useful ... But as I said it all depends on what you want to use it for :cool:
Exactly. If you are just writing, then the iPad can be tremendously powerful, especially if you have minimal formatting. If you tend to work with forty windows open at once and three screens at your desk at work, then I'd say the iPad is going to feel insufficient. There are a lot of tasks the iPad is simply incapable of doing (OCR for PDFs, for example -- you could use a remote login app to do it, but then you might as well just carry your laptop with you if this is a big part of your work).

lowonthe456

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
I get a substantial amount of "real work" done on my iPad.

If I could download the mp3's you get when buying new vinyl records into itunes, my MBA 2011 13" would be sold. Thats all it does anymore unfortunately. I love the MBA, I just don't need it anymore save for this one stupid task (adding music to iTunes from outside sources - and I buy all digital music from iTunes...but I buy vinyl as well)

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
If I could download the mp3's you get when buying new vinyl records into itunes, my MBA 2011 13" would be sold. Thats all it does anymore unfortunately. I love the MBA, I just don't need it anymore save for this one stupid task (adding music to iTunes from outside sources - and I buy all digital music from iTunes...but I buy vinyl as well)

I'm seeing more and more tasks taken over by iPad 4. I use it and iPhone during the day and only open my hi end Sony z21 while in bed before sleep since I like to read while catching a movie on same screen. I do use remote login from iPad when I need to access the PC quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.