Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michaehm

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
That would be cool!

12.jpg

gm713

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
How about an iPad Nano that wraps around your wrist, doubles as a watch?

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
OLED is still maturing as a technology, IGZO is at an even earlier stage. Both have great potential, but there is no guarantee that anything will come of it. It makes sense to be developing both if it is affordable (and Apple does have the money). Backing all horses means you will always get the winner.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
An OLED display contains fish semen. You be the judge.

Good luck on getting a straight answer on what the "O" in "OLED" means though. Most sources simply define it as "genetic material". :p

Oh yes, here's an old article I can cite. Cheers: Salmon Sperm Used to Intensify LEDs Grossify Everyone

You're probably trolling, but as a med student I can tell you that there are several known substances that have been found in...errr let's just say awkward places in flora and fauna.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
You're probably trolling, but as a med student I can tell you that there are several known substances that have been found in...errr let's just say awkward places in flora and fauna.

I'm trolling? Here's how MR defines it:
Trolling. Do not post in order to anger other members or intentionally cause negative reactions. For a given post, this can be a subjective call, but a pattern of such posting or an especially egregious case will get you banned.

Trolling gets you banned. Quoting gross facts relevant to the article does not. Call me crazy but I do not want salmon sperm in my mobile products. Also, what do flora and fauna have to do with anything whatsoever? :confused:

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
I'm trolling? Here's how MR defines it:

Trolling gets you banned. Quoting gross facts relevant to the article does not. Call me crazy but I do not want salmon sperm in my mobile products. Also, what do flora and fauna have to do with anything whatsoever? :confused:

Geez they just found out at a certain substance in salmon sperm enhances OLEDs. That doesn't mean they use salmon sperm.

My point was, that a lot of beneficial substances have been found throughout various excretions from plants and animals.

Or: did you ever wondered how they made your flu shot?

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Geez they just found out at a certain substance in salmon sperm enhances OLEDs. That doesn't mean they use salmon sperm.

My point was, that a lot of beneficial substances have been found throughout various excretions from plants and animals.

Or: did you ever wondered how they made your flu shot?

They do use salmon sperm. It's readily available and prior to OLEDs, the stuff was thrown out. It was considered waste in the fishing industry. Plenty of nasty things are used everywhere, certainly, but once you know how it's made, it's tough to go back to the time where you didn't. Don't see why I should have to explain this to you, but oh well... :rolleyes:

Renzatic

Suspended
Trolling gets you banned. Quoting gross facts relevant to the article does not. Call me crazy but I do not want salmon sperm in my mobile products.

As long as you don't break the screen, and it doesn't smell at all, you don't really have to deal with it. Hell, they could use cow snot for all I care, so long as it produces a nice image.

Though I do have to admit that, in this situation, ignorance was kinda blissful.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
This is probably for a new project that will take two to three years to reach fruition, if at all.

Most likely it's for some future "wearable" technology ideas brewing inside Apple as with all other major tech companies who can afford the research.

OLEDs have horrible burn-in problems and tend to literally decay after a year or two, not the best thing for long-term use like a computer display (or TV).

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
They do use salmon sperm. It's readily available and prior to OLEDs, the stuff was thrown out. It was considered waste in the fishing industry. Plenty of nasty things are used everywhere, certainly, but once you know how it's made, it's tough to go back to the time where you didn't. Don't see why I should have to explain this to you, but oh well... :rolleyes:

They didn't use salmon sperm per se. They extracted the saDNA out of it and combined with a substance so it became water unsollutable.
The point he was making with the salmon sperm was that you could use an otherwise waste product for this, but for a mass production it is just not feasible and definitely not as efficient as simply using a PCR to quickly produce lots of DNA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.