Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:42 PM   #26
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacemaker427 View Post
I tried iOS 6.01, and wished I hadn't. I don't utilize Bluetooth, but for everything I do, iOS 6.1 has worked quite well.
Lately, I've had an infrequent/intermittent problem with delayed printing of characters when I'm typing at a natural clip. I could be a number of things, I just don't know which. Has anyone else experienced this?
I did on an old ipod running 4.2.1. Didn't go away but wasn't too big of a problem for me.
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:56 PM   #27
Macrolido
macrumors regular

Works the same for me.
Macrolido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:30 AM   #28
madrich
macrumors regular

LivePapers is so COOL!
madrich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 04:14 PM   #29
minik
macrumors 65816

I'm still on iOS 4.3.5. Some of them tasks are laggy, so I don't want to make things worse with newer iOS version.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 03:39 PM   #30
.Asa
macrumors regular

I use my iPod for a lot of games and hardcore stuff like that.

iOS 6 really sucks on the 4th gen. It uses up pretty much all the ram leaving none for apps. Everything is super laggy.

I downgraded mine back to 5.1.1, and the performance is amazing.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by minik View Post
I'm still on iOS 4.3.5. Some of them tasks are laggy, so I don't want to make things worse with newer iOS version.
I'm really jealous, I wish I had stayed on iOS 4.
.Asa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:07 PM   #31
minik
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Asa View Post

iOS 6 really sucks on the 4th gen. It uses up pretty much all the ram leaving none for apps. Everything is super laggy.

----------

Really? I just attempted to manually restore iOS 5.1.1 but iTunes 11.0.2 gave me an 'This device isn't eligible for requested build.' error. Right now I have Spotify for iOS 4 app on it and my car head-unit won't recognize the downloaded tracks. The regular Spotify app doesn't have such problem.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:34 PM   #32
touchipods
macrumors regular

Quote:

----------

I'm still on iOS 5.1.1 and am thinking of upgrading to iOS 6.1.2 firmware. The main reason being that Safari crashes way too much. My touch came with 5.1 and I don't remember it crashing once. The problem is when Safari crashes, all my background apps have to start over.

I wish I had saved my iOS 5.1 shsh blobs but thought upgrading to iOS 5.1.1 would be fine (did it OTA).

I went to Apple Store few days ago and 4g touch had 6.1.2 software and Safari did not crash on sites it would always crash after zooming in:

-Google News Desktop version

-Apple iPhone 5 homepage

Could you try and see it these sites crash?

I also had my touch with me and it crashed at Apple Store to make sure it wasn't my wireless. 6.1.2 seemed fine besides music app taking 5+ seconds to load at first attempt plus these issues:

-New App Store/iTunes layout which I hate

-Removal of Youtube app, I liked this app since it was simple with no adds

-New music layout which I hate because everything is white

-Apple Maps, enough said about that

Also curious about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by max53389 View Post
If interested in the free ram usage on my iPod touch 4g:
iOS 6.0: 80mb

iOS 5.1.1: 140mb
IOS 4.3.2: 137 mb
(Took along time to downgrade and restore back up to iOS 6)
I got the average ram after a respring and after clearing the memory 3 times but iOS 6 couldn't free the memory so average couldn't get a little boost like other iOS versions. I got the free ram numbers from sbsettings and sbsettings is not fully compatible with iOS 6 so that might of been a factor.

I defiantly noticed the lack of ram in apps. It's the first iOS version where stock apps crashed on me. Settings and the app store crashed 5 minutes in. (I always restore when I upgrade so that is not the problem)
I hope I gave you some insight what is going on with iOS 6.
I might update you guys later with better results when sbsettings is compatible with iOS 6.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:13 PM   #33
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

For YouTube just use jasmine. Better than the old YouTube app and no ads
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:19 PM   #34
.Asa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchipods View Post
I'm still on iOS 5.1.1 and am thinking of upgrading to iOS 6.1.2 firmware. The main reason being that Safari crashes way too much. My touch came with 5.1 and I don't remember it crashing once. The problem is when Safari crashes, all my background apps have to start over.

I wish I had saved my iOS 5.1 shsh blobs but thought upgrading to iOS 5.1.1 would be fine (did it OTA).

I went to Apple Store few days ago and 4g touch had 6.1.2 software and Safari did not crash on sites it would always crash after zooming in:

-Google News Desktop version

-Apple iPhone 5 homepage

Could you try and see it these sites crash?

I also had my touch with me and it crashed at Apple Store to make sure it wasn't my wireless. 6.1.2 seemed fine besides music app taking 5+ seconds to load at first attempt plus these issues:

-New App Store/iTunes layout which I hate

-Removal of Youtube app, I liked this app since it was simple with no adds

-New music layout which I hate because everything is white

-Apple Maps, enough said about that

Also curious about this:
Sorry for being slow to respond.
I tried apple.com and google news, both of them were fine until I zoomed in, then it crashed. I tried the same sites in chrome, and it crashed as well, although not quite as quickly. (I'm still on 5.1.1 btw)
iOS 6 definately did bring improvements to safari, such as fullscreen. If you're a big safari user, I'd say go for iOS 6. Otherwise, stay on 5 cause it's a lot better in other areas.
.Asa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:29 PM   #35
touchipods
macrumors regular

Quote:
Sorry for being slow to respond.
I tried apple.com and google news, both of them were fine until I zoomed in, then it crashed. I tried the same sites in chrome, and it crashed as well, although not quite as quickly. (I'm still on 5.1.1 btw)
iOS 6 definately did bring improvements to safari, such as fullscreen. If you're a big safari user, I'd say go for iOS 6. Otherwise, stay on 5 cause it's a lot better in other areas.
Hey thanks for the comment. What iOS 6 version were you on? If 6.1.2 could you post the free RAM available?

Also I'm pretty sure iOS 5.1 will not crash Safari so if you have shsh blobs saved, downgrade to that. Also general speed improvements compared to 5.1.1 firmware. For iOS 5, the beat firmware on touch 4g is iOS 5.1.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:09 PM   #36
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchipods View Post
Hey thanks for the comment. What iOS 6 version were you on? If 6.1.2 could you post the free RAM available?

Also I'm pretty sure iOS 5.1 will not crash Safari so if you have shsh blobs saved, downgrade to that. Also general speed improvements compared to 5.1.1 firmware. For iOS 5, the beat firmware on touch 4g is iOS 5.1.
I just bought a refurb'd 64gb touch and it has 5.1... I'm debating updating too. I only really use the video and music player so I don't think I really need all that Free RAM. I also own an iPhone 5 and an iPad Mini.

The Touch is primarily my media storage device for use on the Elliptical at the gym. They have built in TVs on each machine that can play back iPod Touch videos.

Should I upgrade?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:18 PM   #37
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

My brother is having no problems on his, and it's the low end model. If you're not multitasking, you should be fine.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch