Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 27, 2013, 07:39 PM   #26
osaga
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by philr5150 View Post
But then Apple are giving up some control of the hardware and manufacturing. That's something they do not like to do.
Apple could retain control over the hardware and ios. It would just be an ipad with mounting tabs instead of the aluminum casing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
I'm sure Apple would. The problem is likely on the automakers ends. I can't speak from experience with BMW, having owned 5 since '96, that BMW knows how to build a fun car to drive, but knows zero about tech. They are always, ALWAYS, 5 years behind any tech you could pick up off the shelf at BestBuy.
Agreed. I bet auto manufacturers could be convinced from a cost standpoint. I don't know what they currently spend on tech for the hardware and programming of their nav systems, but it may be a lot more than the cost of an ipad + custom apps. If one company, say VW started doing it, the others may have to follow suit to stay competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoejoe View Post
too dangerous. the whole point of the BMW idrive controller is to keep the driver's hand in one place when controlling the on board computer, which has apps adapted to be in line with a driving experience. using a mini while driving = lawsuits up the whazoo.

unless you're talking about apple letting car manufacturers create a new app environment for the ipad mini... which apple would never do. they want total control of the experience.
From a safety standpoint, I don't think it would be hard to add safeguards. For example: When the car is in gear, use could be limited to music, navigation, hands free calling (siri), and climate controls.

Apple opened the ios environment to app developers, i wouldn't be surprised if they allowed car manufacturers to create custom apps for their cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyAko View Post
Only the 1% will benefit on this.
I think anyone buying a ford focus for $16,000 would opt for this for the extra $300 spread over a 5-10-15 year loan.

Lastly...
The hardware (screen & processor) in an ipad is probably on par or better than what the auto manufacturers are currently installing. Siri is probably better at voice recognition than anything they're using. And internet connected map data is probably superior on an ipad as well.

You could buy auto related apps: Like AAA, onstar, or geico. You could keep track of your mileage and speed with GPS (might come in handy for tax purposes, or if you let your kids drive.) You could locate your car in a parking garage. You could remotely start or unlock your car. You could view your dashboard/backup cameras from your iphone. It could alert you if the alarm goes off. Streaming music and content is probably the best aspect of this.

I would imagine that this is eventually going to occur with or without apple.

Last edited by osaga; Mar 27, 2013 at 07:58 PM.
osaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:18 PM   #27
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040

Having Apple supply the infotainment system won't work out because the OS (assuming they use some sort of iOS variant). You're not going to choose an OS from Apple over QNX, sorry not happening.

Apple would have to put in a lot of resources into making a solid infotainment system that not only handles the entertainment but also info about the car.
iLog.Genius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:03 AM   #28
osaga
macrumors 6502

Assume the car manufacturer can separate vital processes (controlled by your qnx obc), from entertainment processes (controlled by a tablet).

Wouldn't a consumer want all the benefits of such a system in their car?...
Superior nav and voice recognition. Streaming music/video/live radio content. Hands free calling/texting. Remote monitoring. 1000's of auto related apps (eventually). Internet browsing. All with a simple interface and at a lower price point than current infotainment systems. Imagine the precision of traffic updates via crowd sourcing this could provide.

If the answer is yes. Then it needs to be provided by a company that has an ecosystem already in place. So who would you choose to do this? Apple, Android, Microsoft, Amazon, or maybe BlackBerry.

Someone should do it, just for the sake of ease and efficiency in the world.
osaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:45 AM   #29
SirLance99
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by osaga View Post
Assume the car manufacturer can separate vital processes (controlled by your qnx obc), from entertainment processes (controlled by a tablet).

Wouldn't a consumer want all the benefits of such a system in their car?...
Superior nav and voice recognition. Streaming music/video/live radio content. Hands free calling/texting. Remote monitoring. 1000's of auto related apps (eventually). Internet browsing. All with a simple interface and at a lower price point than current infotainment systems. Imagine the precision of traffic updates via crowd sourcing this could provide.

If the answer is yes. Then it needs to be provided by a company that has an ecosystem already in place. So who would you choose to do this? Apple, Android, Microsoft, Amazon, or maybe BlackBerry.

Someone should do it, just for the sake of ease and efficiency in the world.
Yes I agree it should happen. Maybe with a choice between OS though. Google Now is far superior to Seri as is Google maps. So I would want that as a choice.
SirLance99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:56 AM   #30
mrow
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLog.Genius View Post
Having Apple supply the infotainment system won't work out because the OS (assuming they use some sort of iOS variant). You're not going to choose an OS from Apple over QNX, sorry not happening.

Apple would have to put in a lot of resources into making a solid infotainment system that not only handles the entertainment but also info about the car.
Is QNX still even available for auto makers to use? Is Blackberry still maintaining/selling it for use outside of their own devices?
mrow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:46 AM   #31
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrow View Post
Is QNX still even available for auto makers to use? Is Blackberry still maintaining/selling it for use outside of their own devices?
I think so. I remember seeing videos in late 2011 about QNX and whatever the latest version of iDrive was and improvements being made to it so I think they're still available to car manufacturers.

EDIT: Just remembered that QNX also did a concept system for the Bentley Continental GT.

Last edited by iLog.Genius; Mar 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM.
iLog.Genius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:50 PM   #32
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbatim Cookie View Post
I have been informed by people who supposedly know about this matter that a BMW with four wheels is a bimmer; a beemer is a BMW with two wheels.
Aha, tnx!

Didn't know that.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:20 PM   #33
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciclismo View Post
Part of the reason why they take longer is because they want to get it right. Take their adaptive cruise control - I couldn't make it screw up when I tried in heavy traffic. And it safely slowed me as someone only doing 120kph pulled out in front of me as I was cruising at 160kph, without either the car not me breaking a sweat.
Yeah, was really talking about Navigation and creature comfort consumer tech, not safety tech, which BMW is in a solid position.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:39 PM   #34
ghostlyorb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by osaga View Post
Why doesn't apple just sell an ipad mini to auto manufacturers to embed in dashboards and let them create apps to control the various functions of the car. Seems obvious.

Worldwide 60 million cars were produced.
In the US 16 million cars purchased.
Germany produced 6 million in 2012.

Apple sold 50 million ipads in 2012? Maybe this would bump ipad sales by 10% or 15%? It would certainly benefit apple from an ecosystem standpoint.
I have my iPad mini mounted in my BMW with a dashboard mount I found on Amazon. It's great.. for all of my music... navigation... and extra content for passengers. All you need is the internet version of the iPad... best purchase ever.
iPad mini 16GB +AT&T
ghostlyorb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:55 AM   #35
musique
macrumors regular

Does "voice command" work anywhere?

Of a related, but relevant concern, I recently got a Toyota Prius. I told the salesman that the music on my iPhone was of key importance to me specifically to be able to play music using voice commands. I was told that it would work. That turns out to be untrue, at least for the six or seven weeks during which I've had the car.

I have a moderately sized collection of about 700 CDs ripped into iTunes and transferred to my iPhone5. Once connection (via lightning-USB cable) I'll ask the Prius to play a specfic symphony by Beethoven and it'll tell me to select one of the three songs it displays on-screen, one by Nora Jones, one by Eric Clapton, and one by the Beatles. Siri gets it right often, but the Prius, never.

Does anyone here know if BMW's voice command can in fact understand one's commands and play the piece requested? If not, is there another vehicle or third-party product, that can interface with the iPhone to actually play the piece requested?

Thanks.
musique is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:56 PM   #36
imageWIS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCee842 View Post
Awesome! Now if I could only afford a BMW....
It's on MINI's too.
imageWIS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 02:36 AM   #37
tekboi
macrumors 6502a

*adds "Owning a BMW" to bucket list*
tekboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 09:08 AM   #38
dmunz
macrumors regular

One place RIM still rules...

Even with the plug in adaptor (or USB) you can still only get bits off your calendar using an iPhone. With a BlackBerry you can get the full calendar and e-mail over BT. You are limited to headers and first lines of text on the screen but the Nav system will read your mail for you (unless you recode the restrictions on the BMW but that is anthother forum...)

This is about the only thing I miss from BB after mocing to the iPhone.

FWIW
DLM
dmunz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:27 PM   #39
carlgo
macrumors 68000

My '05 X5 has terrible electronics, clunky when new and now terrible. I did replace the speakers and made a sub and that is great now, but the nav is horrid.

The best upgrade is to install a jack to the BMW receiver, they sell a kit, and run either an iPad or iPhone through it. Works great and doesn't require any fabrication. There are some nice holders for the devices.

This also keeps the option of the factory unit for a second opinion on navigating, for the useful computer functions and for the radio and even for CDs.

And many people would update the device every year or two, even as they keep the car for several years.

The promised big screen iPhone or an iPad with phone functions would be great for car use.
carlgo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion