Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyindia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
I have some movies on my laptop i'd like to watch on my iPad mini...they weren't bought in iTunes however...a friend gave them to me from their hard-drive and I use VLC player to watch them on my laptop. How do I watch these on iPad?

I was told possibly to use DropBox application and VLC application on iPad. Will this work?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
unless you feel like streaming it no you can't. unless it's jailbroken and a public jailbreak isn't out yet for the iPad mini.

johnnyindia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
anyone have experience with this working yet? i don't own the mini yet and was only going to buy it if i can watch movies that i already have easily. thanks!

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
I have movies on my NAS. I access them via SMB from FileExplorer and download them to the iPad. Then I select OpenIn CineXPlayer and go into that app (any video player should work including the built in one) and they play just fine.

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
Take your file and use handbrake to convert the file to m4v to play in iTunes then sync to iPad

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I have some movies on my laptop i'd like to watch on my iPad mini...they weren't bought in iTunes however...a friend gave them to me from their hard-drive and I use VLC player to watch them on my laptop. How do I watch these on iPad?

I was told possibly to use DropBox application and VLC application on iPad. Will this work?

I don't have experience with VLC app but I've used Dropbox. You need to buy more space since I'm guessing you'll run out of drop box space. On the ipad app, you can mark it as a favorite and you will download the movie and save it to your ipad.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
You don't have to buy a video on iTunes to move it over. Just go to "this ipad" and drag and drop your media into the movies section and it will upload.

This is how it works on a pc ... It better work this way on a Mac. Of course it still needs to be the right format. I recommend mp4.

R

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
PS3MediaServer (OSS DLNA Server)
Ace Player (DLNA Client for ipad/iphone)

Can stream on local network, airplay to your AppleTV, or download into the via WIFI from the DLNA server into the app to take on the go on holiday.

All file formats work, avi(divx), mkv, etc. But for best performance and battery life run them through Handbrake to h.264 m4v to utilize hardware decode engine.

Spasepok

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2013
You can user XMBC as DLNA media server on you desktop, and the use some application to get it from server.

mitoda

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
If you have a tethering app (jailbreak required) like mywi, connect via USB and use cyberduck for a fast transfer. WiFi will take forever! I have an iPad 3 so not sure if this applies. Good luck

Peter78

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
UPNP/DLNA video players

I use UPNP/DLNA capable players with download feature. For instance 8Player, ArkMC. I can down load movies from my WD MBL NAS to iPad to watch during the transatlantic flight.

Cobster

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2011
Denmark
I use AVPlayerHD - movie files copied to Ipad via iTunes - programs - or by wifi... Most formats supported... No problem...

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009

I smell copyright infringement.

noahrobert

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2015
I often use DropBox for this and either re-use an existing account or simply make a new account for just this purpose. Presumably you have WiFi when you are at your iTunes to USB to iPad location and can just dump all the movies into dropbox. The iPad dropbox app will hopefully see that flex:player has registered to play the videos and offer to send the file to the app from within iOS rather than how the flex:player wants you to use iTunes to copy the documents into the app.

Rava

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
I use AVPlayer, it works well for most file formats and handles subtitles well. VLC player should be fine too, you shouldn't need to jailbreak for this To add files just go to the app section on itunes and at the bottom there will be a list of apps that can be given files. Just select your media player and drag over the media and it will add on sync. The videos section of itunes is different and can only take certain file formats, so it's not the best way to add content if you have lots of mkvs etc.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Way to bring back a two year old thread.
The fact that this thread is years old only serves to highlight how sad it is that this is still an issue. On an Android tablet you can just drag and drop a movie onto it the same way you'd put it on a USB stick or hard drive. Why can't iOS allow users to have actual control of their media and other files, without managing everything through other software like iTunes or Dropbox?

Reactions: limatime42
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.