Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tawcat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2011
When saving a file in Pages, it seems I can't open a sub folder.

I have a folder "A" which has a folder "B". I'm wanting to open a file from "A" edit it and save that file to "B." When I click save, give it a name, only option I'm given are main folders, and I cannot figure out how to get to the sub folders.

Probably something extremely easy, guess I am having one of those "I feel stupid" moments. Thanks.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
When saving a file in Pages, it seems I can't open a sub folder.

I have a folder "A" which has a folder "B". I'm wanting to open a file from "A" edit it and save that file to "B." When I click save, give it a name, only option I'm given are main folders, and I cannot figure out how to get to the sub folders.

Probably something extremely easy, guess I am having one of those "I feel stupid" moments. Thanks.

There is a little arrow in the save dialog that will allow you to save to a subfolder of choice.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
you can also choose the view mode to help you open folders (I like column view best)

33jhi88.png

tawcat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2011
When I click save this is what I get.

73c94c27-f56f-42be-b5c7-ec8ded3f91f7_zps23e52cf7.jpg

No options of folders except the little drop down. I am baffled to no end. Thank you.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
When I click save this is what I get.

No options of folders except the little drop down. I am baffled to no end. Thank you.

Do you see the little dropdown arrow to the right of where is says:
Save As - Untitled 2 --------------------] ^. Then all the way to the right is a little dropdown arrow. Se it?
Click that and you'll get the large window where you can choose wherever you want.

tawcat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Nope, just tried to save a file and I got the same as above. Even though I pressed option and clicked save as. It just went to the same screen as above.

Just doesn't pass the common sense test!

Last edited:

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
You have iCloud selected, so the option to expand the window is disabled. (You can't create folders in iCloud storage.)

Select any other option in the dropdown besides iCloud, then click the arrow to expand the save dialog and save where you like.

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2013-05-01-at-11.11.28-PM.png
    Screen-Shot-2013-05-01-at-11.11.28-PM.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-01 at 11.18.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-01 at 11.18.52 PM.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 59

tawcat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Darth.Titan: By gosh that did it. Guess the thing I was missing the whole time was the down arrow next to file name. Rocknblogger mentioned that arrow, but I was too blind to see it!!!!

Thank you to all, I really like this forum and the folks that are willing to help. Thank you all again.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Darth.Titan: By gosh that did it. Guess the thing I was missing the whole time was the down arrow next to file name. Rocknblogger mentioned that arrow, but I was too blind to see it!!!!

Thank you to all, I really like this forum and the folks that are willing to help. Thank you all again.

This kind of breaks the whole OSX is simple thing doesn't it? Why such an important screen element is so freakin' tiny is baffling. I've FINALLY gotten used to this and the first thing I hit in a save dialog is the down arrow but it's impossible for me to justify this particular item to my Windows-loving friends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.