Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:02 PM   #1
MacGiver
macrumors 6502a

CardDAV, Google contacts and iOS4

I have so far set up my Google calendars OTA through the CalDAV option on the iPhone...so I get everything sync.
Since the iOS4 is out you have now under other account the possibility to set up a CardDAV account which would do the same job as the CalDAV but for contacts.
Anyone figured out if this works with Gmail? If so how did you do it? I have googled a lot about it and could not find any good answer.
Thanks
Old Aug 13, 2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Darwin
macrumors 65816

You'd be better off with this method:

http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/

This allows you to setup an Exchange connection with your google account syncing calendars, contacts and your mail.
Darwin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:08 AM   #3
ofirb
macrumors newbie

Looks like CardDAV is now supported by Google

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/a...answer=2753077
ofirb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:24 PM   #4
brilliantthings
macrumors regular

Google have just announced support for syncing iOS contacts with google contacts using CardDAV instead of MS Exchange.

I'm keen to know if this fixes the bug that resizes iPhone contact images when contacts are synced with google via Microsoft exchange. Anyone tried it?
brilliantthings is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:33 PM   #5
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68000

I haven't tried it. The image that Google uses is a small one. Don't know that changing to CardDAV would help. Don't even know if the images are supported at all with CardDAV or if syncing that way might erase the images. It's for sure going to wipe out any custom ringtones you might have set for contacts.

I'm pretty sure backing up your Google contacts via export doesn't include the photos, either.
BrianBaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:00 PM   #6
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Google contacts dont have custom fields to store relationships, so when you tell Siri "Mary is my wife" so you can then say "Call my wife" or "Tell my wife I'm running late", if you use Google contacts, that relationship information (wife, friend, father, etc.) cannot be stored.

Not that its a big deal, but, just so you know. One more way Apple sticks it to any non-Apple providers....
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:46 PM   #7
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68000

Okay...I added the account as CardDAV.

The good thing is the field labels sync up and are editable. Big pictures added to contacts seem to stay big.

The bad thing is if someone has set their own picture on their google account it doesn't come down to the phone like it does with Exchange sync.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:16 PM   #8
brilliantthings
macrumors regular

That's weird. Surely google would want to sort that out.

----------

And any luck with custom field names?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:53 PM   #9
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68000

Custom field names work on the iPhone. They also sync back to Google on the web interface. Of course, you can't set a custom field there.

Custom field syncs back to Address Book in Snow Leopard. I don't know about Contacts, yet.

If they get the Gmail user photo fixed, and if this doesn't use more battery in some way, it looks to be the way to go.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 04:03 AM   #10
brilliantthings
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBaughn View Post
Big pictures added to contacts seem to stay big.
Give it a few days and the images shrink back to the annoying google contact image size. Disappointing.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:15 AM   #11
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68000

Definitely annoying if you like the big pics. I prefer the small ones, actually.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:36 PM   #12
GIZBUG
macrumors 6502a

So let me understand this
My google contacts should be set up via carddav on my iphone, but email/calendar via exchange?

what is advantage over exchange over setting up via gmail on iphone?

Also,when contacts are setup cardav, does it only sync those contacts under MY CONTACTS? i notice a lot missing.

2011 13'' MB Air || 32GB Black Iphone 5 (VZW) ||
Ipad (3rd Generation) || Windows 8.1 Pro Desktop
GIZBUG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:44 AM   #13
brilliantthings
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZBUG View Post
My google contacts should be set up via carddav on my iphone, but email/calendar via exchange?
Yep.

Quote:
what is advantage over exchange over setting up via gmail on iphone?
CardDAV allows customised field names. Eg. instead of "Work", you can make it "Office in New York". CardDAV also allows any number of email addresses and phone numbers. Exchange limits these to three each.

Quote:
Also,when contacts are setup cardav, does it only sync those contacts under MY CONTACTS? i notice a lot missing.
Yes it only syncs My Contacts.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:19 AM   #14
xA4Hx
macrumors member

Google allows multiple mobile numbers , where apple and iphone doesn't , my only grip with contacts
xA4Hx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:39 PM   #15
GIZBUG
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliantthings View Post
Yep.

CardDAV allows customised field names. Eg. instead of "Work", you can make it "Office in New York". CardDAV also allows any number of email addresses and phone numbers. Exchange limits these to three each.

Yes it only syncs My Contacts.
Thanks.

I updated 3 contacts tonight at google contacts (on my desktop).......under my contacts. They have not updated on my phone at all. Even turned off the phone, and back on. Not sure why. Any ideas?

2011 13'' MB Air || 32GB Black Iphone 5 (VZW) ||
Ipad (3rd Generation) || Windows 8.1 Pro Desktop

Last edited by GIZBUG; Nov 15, 2012 at 09:53 PM.
GIZBUG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:55 PM   #16
brilliantthings
macrumors regular

Google contacts images not resized in iOS 7?

Since iOS 7, I have reassigned images to Contacts on my iphone which are all Google Carddav contacts and I think they are staying the same size and not being resized to low res images by google. In the past it has taken days for google to resize them, but maybe it won't happen with iOS 7. Has anyone had any experience with this yet?

Mod: can you switch this to iOS 7 section?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone