Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DennyL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
I am in the UK and I have had to stop using Safari, which is set to use Google for searches, because when I do a search from the integrated URL/search box it finds French sites. It is just as though I had loaded http://www.google.fr. It finds vendors in France and favours French sites generally. Previously it found UK vendors and sites. If I change the search engine in Safari to Yahoo then Yahoo finds US sites. The only way I can do searches as before is to load http://www.google.co.uk, which is a lot less convenient. I have checked that my Mac Preference Region is set to UK and I'm using the current version of Mac OS and Safari.

Does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?

Thank you for any suggestions.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Safari here seems to use Google UK as default.

Check Preferences -> General -> International -> Verify Region is United Kingdom

Try resetting Safari (Safari Menu -> Reset Safari)

If that doesn't work you can always use this extension, which redirects searches through the UK search engine.

EDIT: Just found this for you. Perhaps try removing all cookies (resetting Safari will do this) and test it. Alternatively, remove the google.com cookie manually (Safari Preferences -> Privacy -> Details).

DennyL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
Thank you VERY much, Zin. I installed the extension and it worked for Google and for Yahoo searches. I'd never have found that myself.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
it does this at work to me, its because our works ISP feeds out in France for some reason... so google etc identify me as being in France, and google is a pain because there is no easy way to tell it that its bloody well wrong.

DennyL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
God. I've got four and a half browsers on my Macbook (Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Opera and Opera Extra) and sometimes it doesn't seem enough. Opera and Opera Extra are the only of those that my bank's Web site doesn't support, and they're the only ones that works with it. I think that's because I tend to have Ghostery installed on my other browsers. I can't use Chrome because every couple of days it causes my MacBook to totally freeze, needing a four-second press on the on/off button to reboot it. That only leaves Safari and Firefox, so I really don't want to have to rule Safari out.

Thanks again, Zin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.