Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kahlilburkens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
BCS - Shortcomings in the methods employed by governments to monitor their IT networks and protect against cyber criminals could lead to increased tensions between nations as speculation grows over the source of specific attacks. According to Ross Brewer, vice president and managing director of international markets at LogRhythm, the inability of governments to quickly and correctly identify the perpetrators of cyber attacks against its networks can lead to finger-pointing, which could have a negative effect on political relations between countries.

Writing for SC Magazine, Mr Brewer says governments need to adopt new policies centred on the "continuous monitoring of IT networks" in order to enable "deep forensic analysis of growing amounts of data".

This way, "cyber attacks [can] be effectively mitigated and accurately attributed", removing the possibility of politicians wrongly accusing rival nations when attacks occur.

In order to achieve this, governments may have to adopt Big Data analytics, rather than continuing with simple "perimeter defences".

orthlefoxxe

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
Sadly our technology cannot accurately determine the culprits of cyber crimes. Though I may not be a victim I am still very much concern about the topic because the number of cyber crimes are alarming. I wouldn’t wait to become a victim, we all shouldn’t. Be a responsible internet user is the only possible solution for cyber crimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.