Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 16, 2013, 08:53 AM   #176
corinhorn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusVonMagnum View Post
This is a democracy.
Actually, this country isn't a democracy, it's a constitutional republic. There is a distinct difference between the two. Many of the framers feared democracy. No where in our founding documents does the word democracy appear. Read Article Iv, Section IV of The Constitution which promises the states a certain form of government.
corinhorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 03:06 PM   #177
Gamoe
macrumors regular

Good. Anyone complicit in these Constitutional violations needs to face the music. I only wish they would allow more people to join the lawsuit. I would be happy to.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 03:42 PM   #178
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by corinhorn View Post
Actually, this country isn't a democracy, it's a constitutional republic. There is a distinct difference between the two. Many of the framers feared democracy. No where in our founding documents does the word democracy appear. Read Article Iv, Section IV of The Constitution which promises the states a certain form of government.
Democracy is a generalized term for many forms of government that use some form of public voting to either vote directly or by proxy with a representative. The U.S. is categorized as a Constitutional Democracy or Republic, depending on whom you ask. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_democracy), although in practice, I maintain it's actually a Plutocracy (form of Oligarchy) seeing as the RICH are the ones that truly run the government and they mostly ignore the people they are supposed to be representing.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:21 AM   #179
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcodeaddict View Post
I can't stand this compensation society - grow up and get on with your life, and stop squandering it chasing "rights" - enjoy the life God has blessed you with - enjoy what you have, quit complaining about everything you don't have and what EVERYONE ELSE is doing wrong, and stop being so greedy!

Silly America.
Those silly right's

[QUOTE=Viper2005;17411573]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark.Landon View Post
They're both a part in the problem. If someone asked you to do something illegal, and you did it, you cannot blame the person that asked you to do the activity in question when you are caught and expect no consequence.[COLOR="#808080"]

You can if you're in the US military, or CiA. It's done routinely.
You will be prosecuted if you follow an illegal order

Quote:
Originally Posted by corinhorn View Post
Agree. I don't know what it is about some of the apathetic people. I wonder if they just assume that everything will be roses because a democrat is in office.
It's not a democrat thing, people will shrug anything off if they feel it doesn't effect them.

Last edited by GermanyChris; Jun 17, 2013 at 04:53 AM.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:55 PM   #180
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
You do know that he probably had zero choice in the matter right? The government does what they want, when they want.

Do you know Google is forced to censor many different sites per year by the government? They have no choice. Outside of the "communist" countries the U.S. is second in censorship requests right behind Brazil.

One example I can remember is when I lived and worked overseas there were all kinds of articles about how the Bush administration admitted to lying about Iraqs weapons of mass destruction. When I was in the U.S. and tried to show family members who were Bush supporters the same articles they wouldn't show up in search.
This shows the US to have very little to no censorship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:In..._World_Map.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interne...hip_by_country

"Through 2010 the OpenNet Initiative had documented Internet filtering by governments in over forty countries worldwide.[6] The level of filtering was classified in 26 countries in 2007 and in 25 countries in 2009. Of the 41 separate countries classified in these two years, seven were found to show no evidence of filtering (Egypt, France, Germany, India, the Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and the United States)"

Do you, by chance, have the link showing filters from the United States? I have not been so trusting of our government in light of the events the last 6 month or so.

Last edited by tshrimp; Jun 17, 2013 at 04:02 PM.
tshrimp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:37 PM   #181
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrimp View Post
This shows the US to have very little to no censorship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:In..._World_Map.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interne...hip_by_country

"Through 2010 the OpenNet Initiative had documented Internet filtering by governments in over forty countries worldwide.[6] The level of filtering was classified in 26 countries in 2007 and in 25 countries in 2009. Of the 41 separate countries classified in these two years, seven were found to show no evidence of filtering (Egypt, France, Germany, India, the Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and the United States)"

Do you, by chance, have the link showing filters from the United States? I have not been so trusting of our government in light of the events the last 6 month or so.
This is the article I remember seeing: http://www.euronews.com/2013/04/26/g...hip-requests-/
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:49 PM   #182
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
This is the article I remember seeing: http://www.euronews.com/2013/04/26/g...hip-requests-/
Thanks for the link. BTW...thought this was funny. I read the article and try and click on "read more of the report" link....and get a 404 Not Found...Censorship?
tshrimp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:41 PM   #183
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Thanks for the link. BTW...thought this was funny. I read the article and try and click on "read more of the report" link....and get a 404 Not Found...Censorship?
Possibly! If you're outside the U.S. you can find a lot more info like this. At my last job our internet ran through Scotland and you could find all kinds of info that I couldn't find when I'd come back to the U.S..
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:55 PM   #184
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
No censorship just a bad link apparently...

This link works for me: http://www.google.com/transparencyre...ent/countries/

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues